Campagnolo Super Record Wireless - Real World Experience

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RDY

by RDY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfAvHdTVT4g

You could say that Keith is biased or has an axe to grind, but he's not known for making false statements. Underlying premise is that this is a significantly worse product than generic Chinese PMs (not just the name brands) for much more money - i.e. he seems to agree that the early data looks bad because it probably is bad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

harsh reality on demand on the new campy groupset.

the virtaully giving them away. the dura-ace version is still full price LOL

Cervelo
R5 Campagnolo Super Record WRL Wireless Bicycle
$7,998.00
$15,999.00

https://www.excelsports.com/cervelo-r5- ... lcE.XYNcng
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

nyccyclist

by nyccyclist

joeyb1000 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:07 pm
Ol3Tarmac wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:54 pm
Another question arises for me with regard to indoor training purposes. Does anyone knows whether the WRL groupset is downwards compatible e.g.with Chorus cassettes?

Or are there any 3rd party options which you would recommend to install on an indoor trainer??
Yes, you can use a chorus 12s cassette,; but, according to Campagnolo, with a 29 tooth maximum. So, an 11/29 should be fine.
Hey... please forgive my naivety... last time I was here was about 15 years ago when I then owned a Dogma with Campy Record groupset. (My username/credentials seem to have been nuked so I had to re-register but that's not here nor there). I've been away from cycling since but have an opportunity purchase a bike with the Campy Super Record 12spd WRL groupset.

It appears that the Super Record 12spd WRL cassette is on a new "N3W" freehub. I believe the cassette is still a 4-spline cassette and wondering whether it would be compatible with the Campy compatible freehub by Wahoo for its KICKR trainer.

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/in ... reehub-buy

Otherwise, from the discussion above, I can use the Wahoo Campy freehub with a Chorus 12 speed cassette.

Thanks in advance.

chorus88

by chorus88

spartan wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:57 pm
harsh reality on demand on the new campy groupset.

the virtaully giving them away. the dura-ace version is still full price LOL

Cervelo
R5 Campagnolo Super Record WRL Wireless Bicycle
$7,998.00
$15,999.00

https://www.excelsports.com/cervelo-r5- ... lcE.XYNcng
24R5-SRWRL+.jpg
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

AJS914

by AJS914

Absurd price increases are coming back to bite these companies.

Still, how does it add up in the first place:

frameset .... $5500
WRL .......... $5400

That leaves $5100 for wheels, tires, and saddle??? They thought people couldn't add.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

nyccyclist wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:12 pm
joeyb1000 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:07 pm
Ol3Tarmac wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:54 pm
Another question arises for me with regard to indoor training purposes. Does anyone knows whether the WRL groupset is downwards compatible e.g.with Chorus cassettes?

Or are there any 3rd party options which you would recommend to install on an indoor trainer??
Yes, you can use a chorus 12s cassette,; but, according to Campagnolo, with a 29 tooth maximum. So, an 11/29 should be fine.
Hey... please forgive my naivety... last time I was here was about 15 years ago when I then owned a Dogma with Campy Record groupset. (My username/credentials seem to have been nuked so I had to re-register but that's not here nor there). I've been away from cycling since but have an opportunity purchase a bike with the Campy Super Record 12spd WRL groupset.

It appears that the Super Record 12spd WRL cassette is on a new "N3W" freehub. I believe the cassette is still a 4-spline cassette and wondering whether it would be compatible with the Campy compatible freehub by Wahoo for its KICKR trainer.

https://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/in ... reehub-buy

Otherwise, from the discussion above, I can use the Wahoo Campy freehub with a Chorus 12 speed cassette.

Thanks in advance.
The N3W has the same spline, but it's shorter. Until they develop a new one, you will not be able to fit a WRL cassette.
The way to go is to get a Chorus 11/29 and just leave the mounted to the trainer.

FYI, if you look at Campy spare parts documentation, you can even see that the two cassettes share some spacers and cogs.

timrozier

by timrozier

Good evening.

Has anybody experienced battery drain issues with the shifters? I have had this with SRAM Red so it's not overly surprising but I wonder if anyone has had it with SR WRL - the left shifter battery is still on 100% and the right shifter is empty after a matter of weeks.

Thanks in advance

Nickldn

by Nickldn

timrozier wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 8:50 pm
Good evening.

Has anybody experienced battery drain issues with the shifters? I have had this with SRAM Red so it's not overly surprising but I wonder if anyone has had it with SR WRL - the left shifter battery is still on 100% and the right shifter is empty after a matter of weeks.

Thanks in advance
Does your bike lean against anything on the right? Could anything be pressing against the shifter buttons?

It often happens when a bike is packed for travel, best to remove the shifter batteries.

MDecius

by MDecius

Since this thread is dedicated to real world experience, here’s mine. I went to a Specialized test day last weekend to ride the SL8, and when looking around in the shop I saw an Aethos SWorks on display that had SR WRL on it.

My first impression couldn’t get away from the absolutely massive size of the derailleurs and shifter hoods. Compared to the frame right next to it built up with DA Di2, the DA was unquestionably more refined, sleeker, smaller, and in a league of its own. When getting hands-on with the shifter ergonomics, I didn’t find the layout of the buttons prohibitive, but didn’t find it super intuitive either. I could definitely see it being easy to mis-shift when wearing gloves, because the buttons are not as defined and offset from each other as DA. The feeling of the lever actuation seemed sticky or mushy but that is probably to be expected given it was a display bike and likely hasn’t been bled in ages. So can’t fault the group necessarily.

I asked to ride it, hoping that it would perform so well that I’d be won over, but unfortunately the shop said no. Just from pressing the shifters and seeing the derailleur movement on the display stand, the shifting speed seems more in line with DA than SRAM, which is positive for me. The front shifting on DA is the gold standard for me, even Red was comparatively slow and clunky on my test ride.

Now on the other hand, the Hyperon Ultra wheels… Those were sexy. Nothing else in the entire shop came close other than a pair of PCWs.

Ultimately given the price and my impression of WRL, Campy is likely going to be selling many more wheels than groupsets in the future. That’s the same choice that I made last year when buying an entire new set of components - Bora WTOs with Shimano.
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

timrozier

by timrozier

Hi Nickldn,

No I am only just finishing the build as I was waiting for the power meter to be released so there has been no road miles or travelling. Nothing is actuating the lever on the right hand side or anything else untoward. It happened with the battery that came supplied but I thought nothing of it until I replaced with a new battery and the same happened. I will sort it with the supplier but I was hopeful someone else had seen or experienced this so it's not just me but I guess it's too early to get lots of real world usage.

Best,
Tim
Nickldn wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 11:13 pm
timrozier wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 8:50 pm
Good evening.

Thanks in advance
Does your bike lean against anything on the right? Could anything be pressing against the shifter buttons?

It often happens when a bike is packed for travel, best to remove the shifter batteries.

Ryun

by Ryun

I will say on my wrl bikes, the battery reading from the shifters has been inconsistent. Sometime the app has sadd 40% and then today it was 81%. Not an issue with the derailleurs but might recheck via the app.
I have had one set in there from around August and they are still around 75% after a bunch of use
For travel of course you can turn the shifters off via pressing the small indent on each with a 3mm hex. no need to remove batteries.

Ryun

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I was trying to find out the following.

1) Are the shifters 140mm standard and with buying the separate Campy adapter go to 160? Or do they make two different versions of the shifters.

2) Do the batteries come with the cord to charge them?

Maybe @Graeme can chime in.

Thanks!
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

EvanT

by EvanT

rollinslow wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 1:27 pm

1) Are the shifters 140mm standard and with buying the separate Campy adapter go to 160? Or do they make two different versions of the shifters.

Thanks!
You can order the front shifter with either a 140mm caliper or a 160mm caliper. I recently built up a frame with Super Record Wireless and was able to choose the caliper I needed for the front. In my case, I needed a 140 caliper because of the proprietary adaptor on the Aethos.

The batteries came with the charging cables but no power source. I bought a complete groupset that included the Campy specific battery charger, but the cables are a standard USB so it's possible you could use any USB charger.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

EvanT wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 3:13 pm
rollinslow wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 1:27 pm

Thanks!
You can order the front shifter with either a 140mm caliper or a 160mm caliper. I recently built up a frame with Super Record Wireless and was able to choose the caliper I needed for the front. In my case, I needed a 140 caliper because of the proprietary adaptor on the Aethos.

The batteries came with the charging cables but no power source. I bought a complete groupset that included the Campy specific battery charger, but the cables are a standard USB so it's possible you could use any USB charger.
Thanks!
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

TheBeautifulOne

by TheBeautifulOne

So. First 1000kms with SR WRL.

1) the battery life is on par or even slightly better than advertised. I have charged battery three times so far. 50% on flats. 50% on mountains. One charge was before mallorca 312 race. None of the charges were below 40% so i guess 600km of range is quite realistic assumption. Unlikely to be annissue for anyone

2) gear changes. Still impressed by smoothness of the front shifter. No chain drops. In previous SR generation. I had occassionaly experienced a chan drop outwards when switching from small ring to big one under little loads. No misshifts so far

3) i had to micro adjust one rear gear that was little bit louder and sometimes didnt shift smoothly. After adjustment works just fine

4) i got really used to hoods shape, really like them despite initial concerns

5) aesthetics is subjective but i still think previous generation had more flair in it

6) brakes are pure excellence. No rubbing, perfect modulation, no fading during long descents. Best in class

I do believe this is an excellent groupset. Is it worth the sticker price? Probably not. But are we making rational decisions with our bike purchases? Definitely not. 95% of us doesnt even come close to needing a bike that costs anywhere north of 4000€.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com