Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Maddie

by Maddie

One possible explanation of the black particles in the bottom bracket area could be residue from drilling holes for the riv-nuts in the downtube and seattube. Or from facing the outer surface of the bottom bracket or holes for Di2. These particles may have hidden somewhere else in the frame when new and wandered towards the lowest part of the frame (bottom bracket) while riding. There is also some sanding involved when the frames come out of the mould.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmrace

by tmrace

Maddie wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm
One possible explanation of the black particles in the bottom bracket area could be residue from drilling holes for the riv-nuts in the downtube and seattube. Or from facing the outer surface of the bottom bracket or holes for Di2. These particles may have hidden somewhere else in the frame when new and wandered towards the lowest part of the frame (bottom bracket) while riding. There is also some sanding involved when the frames come out of the mould.
I thought that at first too, but the fibers are connected to that area. They are just starting to flake/delaminate on a few thin layers where the drain hole was drilled.

Charlie69

by Charlie69

cyclespeed wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:28 pm
ill principe wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:54 pm
Charlie69 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:25 pm
Am I right to assume that the di2 cable exit port for the front derailleur is behind the derailleur mount? ... and if so do I need to remove the mount completely to to get the cable out?..,,I know I read some people had issues fitting the front derailleur mount so I don't want to remove all the way if it's unnecessary.
Yes, you have to remove the front derailleur hanger completely. But the inner part (inside the frame) that the hanger bolts thread into is held in place by a plastic "snap-in place bit".
The FD hanger on my frame came pre-installed from the factory (frameset) and I could remove the hanger and install cable and the inner part didn´t come loose during the operation.
True, but be careful, because my inside bit did come loose and fell down to the BB. Getting it back in place was a right SOB.
Rhino has an excellent video on instagram to mitigate against this happening or at least a solution if it does happen.

JMOS

by JMOS

stevec1975 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm
Looking to get an S-Works SL8 in the very near future, confused by the Geometry, so used https://geometrygeeks.bike/ to compare versus my current bikes.

For reference, my Cervelo feels a bit 'tall' whereas the Scott is more stretched out/lower, which I prefer. Both have 100mm Stems and 38cm Bars.
My BB Centre to Top of Saddle Height is 710mm

• Is the seat tube measurement correct on the SL8, it looks much smaller than my Cervelo/Scott for the same size bike?
• I assume the measurement of Top tube actual vs effective is fairly similar when accounting for sloping top tubes?
• If I went for the 54, would I need a 38x115 Roval cockpit, or similar, to put me in a similar position to my Scott?

I would prefer to have a decent amount of seatpost showing, but don't want a ridiculous amount, what sizes are people running with, who have a similar BB to Saddle height?

bikegeo.PNG
As regards the effective top tube, if you chose other entries you get a more complete picture
https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/spec ... -2021-s52/

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

3 weeks to go... The shop I race for informed me the rep has told him looks like April 19 Ill have my 58 Chamelon SL8 frame.. been on order since release date...
Still can't ride outside here anyways, and my plans for getting out this weekend just got destroyed because we're getting another 2 inches of snow...

When it was supposed to be winter here, we never got it, now its playing catch up...

Co0kieMonster

by Co0kieMonster

As I currently have a good offer for a frame in size 54, I could use a little input as well: I am 175 cm small, my BB Centre to top of saddle Height is 724mm. Unfortunately, I am not the most flexible person on earth. If I chose a 52, I'm afraid the amount of spacers would be disgusting =D.

Any users with similar sizes who could tell me if it fits or do you think it would be too tall for my size?

kode54

by kode54

Charlie69 wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:
ill principe wrote:
Charlie69 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:25 pm
Am I right to assume that the di2 cable exit port for the front derailleur is behind the derailleur mount? ... and if so do I need to remove the mount completely to to get the cable out?..,,I know I read some people had issues fitting the front derailleur mount so I don't want to remove all the way if it's unnecessary.
Yes, you have to remove the front derailleur hanger completely. But the inner part (inside the frame) that the hanger bolts thread into is held in place by a plastic "snap-in place bit".
The FD hanger on my frame came pre-installed from the factory (frameset) and I could remove the hanger and install cable and the inner part didn´t come loose during the operation.
True, but be careful, because my inside bit did come loose and fell down to the BB. Getting it back in place was a right SOB.
Rhino has an excellent video on instagram to mitigate against this happening or at least a solution if it does happen.
Best thing is to use a longer bolt on the top and loosen enough where you can swing the hanger aside after the bottom bolt removal. The Aethos had a removable part on the inside similar to the SL8.

The bolt it back up on the bottom once you fish the cable through and replace top bolt after the bottom one is snugged up and you’re done.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Co0kieMonster wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:41 pm
As I currently have a good offer for a frame in size 54, I could use a little input as well: I am 175 cm small, my BB Centre to top of saddle Height is 724mm. Unfortunately, I am not the most flexible person on earth. If I chose a 52, I'm afraid the amount of spacers would be disgusting =D.

Any users with similar sizes who could tell me if it fits or do you think it would be too tall for my size?
If you're dumping that much $ on a bike, please go get fit properly.. Nothing will be worse than being uncomfortable, or now aesthetically you are staring at a stack of spacers which is ultimately going to piss you off from the sounds of it (it would bother me as well)

Im on a diverge, crux , tarmac ,venge facebook groups and there is nothing more hilarious than the daily, I'm X feet tall, what size do I need questions.. then 20 people pipe in and give 20 answers, or my buddy rides this size so you should to answers...

Whats important here is you are admitting to not having great flexibility which is important, and an even more important reason to get fit and be comfortable...

Charlie69

by Charlie69

Co0kieMonster wrote:

Pariscarbon Will think this is hilarious and he's right about bike fit but...
I'm 174 cm with 710 mm saddle height, I can make a 54 work but I'm better on a 52, I think 52 is definitely too small for you.
Last edited by Charlie69 on Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie69

by Charlie69

kode54 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:00 pm
Charlie69 wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:
ill principe wrote:

Best thing is to use a longer bolt on the top and loosen enough where you can swing the hanger aside after the bottom bolt removal. The Aethos had a removable part on the inside similar to the SL8.

The bolt it back up on the bottom once you fish the cable through and replace top bolt after the bottom one is snugged up and you’re done.
Good idea 👍 but thankfully I managed to wire up di2 cable and replace the derailleur mount without any issues. The inner plate stayed in place .

Erikhoffie

by Erikhoffie

Co0kieMonster wrote:

- 81,8 inseam
- 72,3 saddle height
I ride a 54 with 110 stem.
54 would mean less spacers but you can 'size' up a small bike but not size down a big bike.Do a bikefit when in doubt and use the online retul size guide on specialized site.

pmprego

by pmprego

Erikhoffie wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 pm
Co0kieMonster wrote:

- 81,8 inseam
- 72,3 saddle height
I ride a 54 with 110 stem.
54 would mean less spacers but you can 'size' up a small bike but not size down a big bike.Do a bikefit when in doubt and use the online retul size guide on specialized site.
Like someone before said... they should get a proper bikefit.

I'm very close to you but somehow have 2cm arm shorter lenght that it is the average for my height.
This is basically 15mm higher stack and almost 10mm shorter reach for the same hip angle and so on.

And i didnt even mentioned height or inseam because it has nothing to do with the info that i showed before.

The only sound advice is to get a bikefit. People never know their exact measures.

chorus88

by chorus88

Co0kieMonster wrote:

You're 5'-9", buy the size:54 & slam it!
If you're Julian Alaphilippe's twin, buy the size:52 & slam it! :smartass:
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

Co0kieMonster wrote:

I'm 170 and avoided a 49 for the same reason 😂

Then I fitted 160mm cranks, driving up my saddle height 10mm and meaning I still need a lot of spacers 🤦🏻‍♂️

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Charlie69

by Charlie69

cyclespeed wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:35 am
Sander7721 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:26 am
cyclespeed wrote:OK thanks, well I guess if that's normal, it's normal, but it looks a bit sh/t to me. I never saw a bike with a gap like that before. Seems somewhat unnecessary and doesn't look good. Not to mention un aero!!!!
Don’t get everyone started lol
This has cropped up numerous times on the forum.
I think it also varies from bike to bike some gaps larger than others.
I think there are a few with aftermarket caps that may have a smaller gap.
I will have another look at mine and post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guess I'm a bit late to the party!

Last night I was convinced I had the wrong bearing or was assembling it wrong or something else weird, because for me, no way is that gap 'right'. Why would you design it like that?!

Not only does it look awful, but surely the purpose of that cap is to keep dust and water out of the headset? It doesn't actually do anything like that?!
i know this has been done to death but did anyone manage to find a solution for this gap... I also have a gap on my size 52, doesn't look good at all and there must be a way of reducing it.