Cervelo R5 2022 spotted

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartan

by spartan

talking non-sense from a cervelo fan boy.

most pro team have realized that dedicated climbing bike just do not make any sense. visma have been using cervelo s5 on climbing stages this year.
bikes like the sl8/ostro vam make the weight penalty non-existant at the 6.8 barrier.
fyi most mountain stages have equivalent descents vs climbing.

have a listen here to dispel aeoro myths.

https://escapecollective.com/podcast-ae ... p-ballard/

skinnybex wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:47 pm
tmrace wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:17 pm
I'm considering an R5 but before putting down any money, does anyone know when/if Cervelo will release an updated version?
No time soon for update. Cervelo doesnt follow the one bike to rule them all therory so this bike has another 2 years minimum.The bike is a climbing bike and there are no real gains to be made with the current design being pretty much perfect. Module weight is already near pefect with a 710 gram frame, 350 gram fork and only the 190 gram seatpost being slightly heavy but thats mostly in the seat clamp area and cheap aftermarket options are available. The frame stiffness is outstanding while not being overly jarring. Handling is razor sharp and the bike turs like it's on rails and the snappiness accelerating out of saddle is the best I've felt and I've ridden most of the top high end bikes. Aero is good enough to easilt stay in the wheels if your racing or riding fondos and deeper wheels and a narrow aero bar bring it close to more aero all-arounders. This bike is a Unicorn.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

maquisard

by maquisard

Vingegaard used the R5 on mountain stages in the TdF last year, and the S5 during flatter rolling stages.

J.P. Ballard isn't the definitive authority on low speed aerodynamics. He's good at marketting himself though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skinnybex

by skinnybex

spartan wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:32 pm

most pro team have realized that dedicated climbing bike just do not make any sense. visma have been using cervelo s5 on climbing stages this year.
bikes like the sl8/ostro vam make the weight penalty non-existant at the 6.8 barrier.

skinnybex wrote:
tmrace wrote:
I'm considering an R5 but before putting down any money, does anyone know when/if Cervelo will release an updated version?
No time soon for update. Cervelo doesnt follow the one bike to rule them all therory so this bike has another 2 years minimum.The bike is a climbing bike and there are no real gains to be made with the current design being pretty much perfect. Module weight is already near pefect with a 710 gram frame, 350 gram fork and only the 190 gram seatpost being slightly heavy but thats mostly in the seat clamp area and cheap aftermarket options are available. The frame stiffness is outstanding while not being overly jarring. Handling is razor sharp and the bike turs like it's on rails and the snappiness accelerating out of saddle is the best I've felt and I've ridden most of the top high end bikes. Aero is good enough to easilt stay in the wheels if your racing or riding fondos and deeper wheels and a narrow aero bar bring it close to more aero all-arounders. This bike is a Unicorn.
I never said anything about WT racing, thats your comment. Not sure what fanboy has to do with anything about my comment on the R5 as I choose and support the brand or brands I like. So far this year there has yet to be any real high altitude or legit HC classified climbs in the season so I'm not sure what your blabbering about. maybe if you realized it's still winter where most racing is happening then you'd look a bit more intelligent. The R5 will still be ridden on climbing stages with Mountain top finishes by Visma who ride Cervelo.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

Bb13

by Bb13

Have a look at this video

https://youtu.be/WwF6J3j7ECU?si=_21AvA8blY3V9yfm

Jonas V. gives his feeling about S5 and R5

LRB23

by LRB23

Can any R5 owners confirm if the steerer tube is OD1 (28.6mm) or OD2 (31.8mm)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grantr

by grantr

Just measured. It's 28.6.

LRB23

by LRB23

grantr wrote:Just measured. It's 28.6.
Legend, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by 208

skinnybex wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:32 pm
spartan wrote:

skinnybex wrote:
tmrace wrote:
I never said anything about WT racing, thats your comment. Not sure what fanboy has to do with anything about my comment on the R5 as I choose and support the brand or brands I like. So far this year there has yet to be any real high altitude or legit HC classified climbs in the season so I'm not sure what your blabbering about. maybe if you realized it's still winter where most racing is happening then you'd look a bit more intelligent. The R5 will still be ridden on climbing stages with Mountain top finishes by Visma who ride Cervelo.
Are you mad because you have an R5 and not an S5?

skinnybex

by skinnybex

208 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:09 am
skinnybex wrote:
spartan wrote:

skinnybex wrote:

Not following you ? Mad about what ? I could buy any bike I want but have no interest in the S5 and that's after riding one for about 350 miles in 2022. Nice try

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

skinnybex wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:02 am

Not following you ? Mad about what ? I could buy any bike I want but have no interest in the S5 and that's after riding one for about 350 miles in 2022. Nice try
Interesting. I had a very similar experience with the 2021 S5. I so desperately wanted to like it but found it one of the most uninspiring bikes I have ever ridden...
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by 208

skinnybex wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:02 am
208 wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:09 am
skinnybex wrote:
spartan wrote:

It's okay mate, don't regret it too much. You can go swap the inferior R5 for the superior S5 any time in the future.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

^Nah Mate, like I said I'm all good. Stick to your Cafe rides in your skinsuit and TT helmet so you can feel better about yourself. Be safe on the road and keep your head up so you don't run into something, we've had far too many Fred's get injured lately pushing BIG watts.