Real world Classified powershift experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jaisen

by Jaisen

I'm highly intrigued but unless it becomes seamlessly integrated with Shimano's synchro shift, I'll likely hold off. Maybe someone will figure out a 3rd party way to hack the Shimano firmware as they are unlikely to support the Classified system natively.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crlincoln

by crlincoln

I've now been running a classified hub on an Enve Melee for about 4-5 months on a set of enve wheels and SRAM setup. I've used for loads of local rolling Hampshire (UK) riding... as well as a having just done Haute Route Dolomits this September... so would say I've got a range of experience...

Mainly Front Ring running a 52T front ring and switched to 50T for Haute Route.. and a 11-34 rear for the hills

So I'm about 80% sold on the system... why...

- On rolling terrain it's brilliant.... running a 52T aero front ring is great!
- It is nosier than a normal Shimano and Sram drive train..
- It is nosier when in the 0.7x gearing.. not really something you worry on a rolling course but on Italian HC climbs... you wonder what's going on..
- sometimes dropping between the classified gearing also requires to self compensate on the rear... maybe if I just ran a 11-30 (I think that's the other option) it would be less notiable...
- Switcing between the classified gears is seemless and great...
- I wish it had proper integraiton... it's not a killer for me... just would be nice in the same way I wish that Sram shifters integrated with a Garmin Headunit for changing screens..
- If I lived in the Alps and did big mountains all the time, I probably wouldn't have gone down this route..
- For my local riding it's pretty much perfect....
- I may migrate it to a Gravel Bike next year and move my road bike back to 2x, but haven't got plans for next year yet...

Matte86

by Matte86

crlincoln wrote:I've now been running a classified hub on an Enve Melee for about 4-5 months on a set of enve wheels and SRAM setup. I've used for loads of local rolling Hampshire (UK) riding... as well as a having just done Haute Route Dolomits this September... so would say I've got a range of experience...

Mainly Front Ring running a 52T front ring and switched to 50T for Haute Route.. and a 11-34 rear for the hills

So I'm about 80% sold on the system... why...

- On rolling terrain it's brilliant.... running a 52T aero front ring is great!
- It is nosier than a normal Shimano and Sram drive train..
- It is nosier when in the 0.7x gearing.. not really something you worry on a rolling course but on Italian HC climbs... you wonder what's going on..
- sometimes dropping between the classified gearing also requires to self compensate on the rear... maybe if I just ran a 11-30 (I think that's the other option) it would be less notiable...
- Switcing between the classified gears is seemless and great...
- I wish it had proper integraiton... it's not a killer for me... just would be nice in the same way I wish that Sram shifters integrated with a Garmin Headunit for changing screens..
- If I lived in the Alps and did big mountains all the time, I probably wouldn't have gone down this route..
- For my local riding it's pretty much perfect....
- I may migrate it to a Gravel Bike next year and move my road bike back to 2x, but haven't got plans for next year yet...
Based on my experience on the Classified system I agree with you… out of curiosity why do you think you’d not use it if living in the Alps?

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

@crlincoln - When I tested the system on a bike fixed to a trainer on a demo stand, I did not notice any unusual noise. What do you think accounts for the noise? Cassette not fitting the RD spacing correctly with SRAM?

crlincoln

by crlincoln

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:38 pm
@crlincoln - When I tested the system on a bike fixed to a trainer on a demo stand, I did not notice any unusual noise. What do you think accounts for the noise? Cassette not fitting the RD spacing correctly with SRAM?
Not sure to be honest, I don't know if the classified cassette is as smooth as a Sram Cassette, I haven't done that much testing (or worried about doing it). There was some issues with a torque arm bolt which was aluminum and they replaced with a nylon bolt as well.

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

crlincoln wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:43 pm
Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:38 pm
Not sure to be honest, I don't know if the classified cassette is as smooth as a Sram Cassette, I haven't done that much testing (or worried about doing it). There was some issues with a torque arm bolt which was aluminum and they replaced with a nylon bolt as well.

I guess the noise is coming from the fact that you're using a chain with bigger rollers on a cassette not made for them. (Classified just ignore this part)

DaveS

by DaveS

I used axs chains with Campy 12. It produced less noise than a Campy chain. The 0.076mm larger roller radius is not likely to be a problem.

B0tt0mline

by B0tt0mline

I had the classified system on my C68.

In the beginning I was really happy. I also had a fully integrated system and could change gears with the soldered DI2 lever (still have it - ready to sell if somebody is interested).

Sold the system and went back to 12x Dura Ace. I hated the noise of the front chain ring (tried different solutions and rings) and also the (great) Classified support could not help and confirmed that the noise is "normal".
Colnago C68- Enve SES 4.5
S-Works Aethos - Enve SES 2.3
Open MIN.D - Enve SES AR 4.5
Mosaic GT2-45 - Enve SES AR 3.4
Open WI.DE - no money for Enve

Jaisen

by Jaisen

B0tt0mline wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:32 am

In the beginning I was really happy. I also had a fully integrated system and could change gears with the soldered DI2 lever (still have it - ready to sell if somebody is interested).

Sold the system and went back to 12x Dura Ace. I hated the noise of the front chain ring (tried different solutions and rings) and also the (great) Classified support could not help and confirmed that the noise is "normal".
Can you clarify what you mean by soldered Di2 lever and a fully integrated system? Is that on a 12 speed Shimano di2 lever?

With Shimano synchro shifting, you can set your buttons only to change gears up and down and the system automatically makes changes to the front chain ring. You can have it programmed to still be able to manually change the front chain ring as well. I don't see how soldering the classified switch to the Di2 lever helps solve the auto chainring shifts. Nor would it automatically adjust the rear derailleur based on the front derailleur position, as featured in semi synchro shifting. You'd still have to manuallly trigger the hub to change the gear ratio and that wouldn't impact the rear derailleur. So it seems to me the soldering solution would be only half integration, if that.

B0tt0mline

by B0tt0mline

Jaisen wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:20 pm
B0tt0mline wrote:

Can you clarify what you mean by soldered Di2 lever and a fully integrated system? Is that on a 12 speed Shimano di2 lever?

With Shimano synchro shifting, you can set your buttons only to change gears up and down and the system automatically makes changes to the front chain ring. You can have it programmed to still be able to manually change the front chain ring as well. I don't see how soldering the classified switch to the Di2 lever helps solve the auto chainring shifts. Nor would it automatically adjust the rear derailleur based on the front derailleur position, as featured in semi synchro shifting. You'd still have to manuallly trigger the hub to change the gear ratio and that wouldn't impact the rear derailleur. So it seems to me the soldering solution would be only half integration, if that.
It is on a Dura Ace 12x DI2 left lever, soldered by Classified.

You can then shift the Classified system with the shifter buttons.

Automatic shifts are not possible, as Shimano does not allow so.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

B0tt0mline wrote:

I guess I still don't understand the cause of the noise. Presumably you are running Shimano or KMC chain, classified cassette and a 1x. At the back, the cassette is different, so I can see that being a source of noise. At the front though - it's the same whether you have classified or any other 1x system. Which, at least on gravel or MTB, don't seem to be a problematic set up. :noidea:

B0tt0mline

by B0tt0mline

Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:06 pm
B0tt0mline wrote:

I guess I still don't understand the cause of the noise. Presumably you are running Shimano or KMC chain, classified cassette and a 1x. At the back, the cassette is different, so I can see that being a source of noise. At the front though - it's the same whether you have classified or any other 1x system. Which, at least on gravel or MTB, don't seem to be a problematic set up. :noidea:
I don't know, it was just always loud. Had several video calls with the Classified technical team, who wanted to help but confirmed that the noise is "normal" on some setups...

naavt

by naavt

I was very interested in this system from the start, but sticking with the their own cassette as the only choice just puts me off. I really hope that they can open this system to Campy/SRAM and Shimano cassettes.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

naavt wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:59 pm
I was very interested in this system from the start, but sticking with the their own cassette as the only choice just puts me off. I really hope that they can open this system to Campy/SRAM and Shimano cassettes.
This seems like an impossibility. You need to fit their hub gear system in there somewhere. There is no space in a normal cassette body for this.

Broady

by Broady

Good analysis from PT here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU6S01uITB8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com