2020 Specialized Tarmac SL7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pmprego

by pmprego

r33prman wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 8:14 am
garbageman wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 4:28 am
r33prman wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 3:05 am
Controversial considering last nights giro TT but I recently went 1x on the tarmac. Super random set up. 52t front, 11-46 rotor cassette. Shifts really well. Took it up some steep climbs I usually do yesterday and definitely not under geared. Love the look of it too.

Thanks for that. 🙏🏼
What's the handlebar??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r33prman

by r33prman

pmprego wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:12 am
r33prman wrote:
garbageman wrote:
r33prman wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 3:05 am
Controversial considering last nights giro TT but I recently went 1x on the tarmac. Super random set up. 52t front, 11-46 rotor cassette. Shifts really well. Took it up some steep climbs I usually do yesterday and definitely not under geared. Love the look of it too.

Thanks for that. 🙏🏼
What's the handlebar??
Good spot. I had built it up with the rapide aero bar. But I had a crash and due to availability and wanting a narrow bar I couldn't get another set for ages so I ended up getting the roval terra bars in 38cm. Bloody love them. Nice shallow drop/reach and a good amount of flare which I like on a narrow bar cause I'm all legs and tend to knee the ends of the drops when sprinting. Side note they're lighter than the rapides.

pmprego

by pmprego

r33prman wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 11:16 am
pmprego wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:12 am
r33prman wrote:
garbageman wrote:

Thanks for that. 🙏🏼
What's the handlebar??
Good spot. I had built it up with the rapide aero bar. But I had a crash and due to availability and wanting a narrow bar I couldn't get another set for ages so I ended up getting the roval terra bars in 38cm. Bloody love them. Nice shallow drop/reach and a good amount of flare which I like on a narrow bar cause I'm all legs and tend to knee the ends of the drops when sprinting. Side note they're lighter than the rapides.
I've spent some time trying to decide between those terra bars and the zippp aero sl. Given that I was not able to see the terra in real life, I ended up going with the zipp. Can you share a front photo of the bike. In the end I was afraid the flare would be a bit too much and the hoods would end up rotated further than I wanted.

r33prman

by r33prman

I can get you a picture tomorrow. It probably won't help you tho cause I rotate my hoods on purpose. I'll try to get a picture of the flare tho.

pmprego

by pmprego

r33prman wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 12:05 pm
I can get you a picture tomorrow. It probably won't help you tho cause I rotate my hoods on purpose. I'll try to get a picture of the flare tho.
Don't worry then. I'll try to ask your feedback in another way. The terras are gravel bars. Some gravel bars, the way they implement the flare makes it impossible to have the hoods "rotated but not by a lot". For instance, the enve bars have the same 5cm increase in width from hoods to drops but are able to achieve this without forcing the user to end up with hoods considerably rotated (they can still achieve that strongly rotated position but it is up to select that).

In this context, how would you define the terra bars?

Thanks for the feedback!

r33prman

by r33prman

pmprego wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 1:33 pm
r33prman wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 12:05 pm
Don't worry then. I'll try to ask your feedback in another way. The terras are gravel bars. Some gravel bars, the way they implement the flare makes it impossible to have the hoods "rotated but not by a lot". For instance, the enve bars have the same 5cm increase in width from hoods to drops but are able to achieve this without forcing the user to end up with hoods considerably rotated (they can still achieve that strongly rotated position but it is up to select that).

In this context, how would you define the terra bars?

Thanks for the feedback!
You can definitely set them up straight. I had to select to rotate them in.

AJS914

by AJS914

Has anyone here routed mechanical shifting through an SL7? Is it a fool's errand?

I have an SL7 on the way. I'd love it to be Campagnolo but don't want to pay for the new $5k wireless groupset. Chorus or Record would be in budget.

I'm just skeptical about the routing and getting the derailleurs to shift correctly as I struggled with routing my 11 speed through 3T handlebars. (Admittedly 3T internal routing on those bars sucked horribly. Just two round holes. No channels or anything.)

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Hey gang, can anyone tell me the clamp width of the sl7 stem, and the width of the main body of the stem?
Thanks.

Aakoo

by Aakoo

AJS914 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:24 pm
Has anyone here routed mechanical shifting through an SL7? Is it a fool's errand?

I have an SL7 on the way. I'd love it to be Campagnolo but don't want to pay for the new $5k wireless groupset. Chorus or Record would be in budget.

I'm just skeptical about the routing and getting the derailleurs to shift correctly as I struggled with routing my 11 speed through 3T handlebars. (Admittedly 3T internal routing on those bars sucked horribly. Just two round holes. No channels or anything.)
I built an SL7 with mech Campagnolo H11 a couple of years ago for budget reasons. It shifts fine, although I used Vision Metron Aero bars that have excellent routing holes. Just use high quality cables and housing.

ODC

by ODC

Can someone tell me if it’s normal to have freehub play on the Roval CLX ii rapide wheelset? When feeling on the cassette i can move the freehub. Can’t remember that i had this with my first generation Roval rapide i wheelset.

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

Kurt1980 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:22 am
Hey gang, can anyone tell me the clamp width of the sl7 stem, and the width of the main body of the stem?
Thanks.
Clamp area width: 46.4 mm
Main body width: 38 mm on the dot
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:39 pm
Kurt1980 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:22 am
Thanks.
Clamp area width: 46.4 mm
Main body width: 38 mm on the dot
Thanks!

AJS914

by AJS914

Aakoo wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:34 am
AJS914 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:24 pm

I built an SL7 with mech Campagnolo H11 a couple of years ago for budget reasons. It shifts fine, although I used Vision Metron Aero bars that have excellent routing holes. Just use high quality cables and housing.
Thanks for the feedback. Are the worst bends on the SL7 around and through the bars? I mean, once the cables enter the headset area, are the bends reasonable? Where is the cable stop located?

abLEmiaB

by abLEmiaB

I just routed Di2 and brake lines through there a few weeks ago and yes, head tube through spacers/guide holes to stem to bars was a bit tight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

ODC wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:34 pm
Can someone tell me if it’s normal to have freehub play on the Roval CLX ii rapide wheelset? When feeling on the cassette i can move the freehub. Can’t remember that i had this with my first generation Roval rapide i wheelset.
What kind of play? I'm no mechanic but when I have play on my cassette I'd go to my LBS...
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook