Broken stupid bianchi handlebars on their stupid aero bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

apr46

by apr46

Perhaps the irony of all of this is that is appears that Bianchi does have a 140mm x 400mm option available after all, at least to their pros. See Nacer Bouhani's bike for ref.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I measured my bars C-C and they are a little over 44 and I paid a fair coin for them and I do like them the most of any bar I have had to date. I decided for ergonomics and possibly for a little more aero to turn the bar shifters inward a few degrees so that I can hold the top of the hoods at a different angle more comfortably. Its amazing how much of a difference it makes by making that little bit of adjustment. Seems okay for the short ride I did today and we will see how it works long term. It does seem more comfy out on the top of the hoods.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Guevarca

by Guevarca

Back to the topic, interesting to see the team spare bikes at DDV this morning had separate bar/stem fitted… just to make the front end of the bike even more ugly!
Closest I could get from behind a barrier so apologies for the bad photo
Attachments
1B48F251-0FA1-44FB-9E29-AEE7D3CC440D.jpeg

robeambro

by robeambro

Guevarca wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:07 am
Back to the topic, interesting to see the team spare bikes at DDV this morning had separate bar/stem fitted… just to make the front end of the bike even more ugly!
Curious how Bianchi claimed the bar is safe, yet Arkea-Samsic riders aren't riding it. Either the bar is not safe, or the riders/team don't trust it. Either way such a bad look for Bianchi (I mean, PR-wise; the looks of the bike are even worse)

Guevarca

by Guevarca

Riders looked to be starting on the combined bar/stem but quite a few of the spare bikes had this separate solution from what I could see

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

robeambro wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:14 pm
Guevarca wrote:
Curious how Bianchi claimed the bar is safe, yet Arkea-Samsic riders aren't riding it. Either the bar is not safe, or the riders/team don't trust it. Either way such a bad look for Bianchi (I mean, PR-wise; the looks of the bike are even worse)
Or the team is just being cautious until Bianchi confirm that there isn't an underlying issue?

robeambro

by robeambro

ultimobici wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:58 pm
robeambro wrote:
Guevarca wrote:
Or the team is just being cautious until Bianchi confirm that there isn't an underlying issue?
Bianchi already did - if it was as you say, then they lied in their press release: ""Like all Bianchi products, Oltre RC handlebars have successfully passed validation test protocols in accordance with International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 4210-5 regulations and are therefore safe to use by both our customers and professional athletes equipped with Bianchi."

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bianch ... andlebars/

spartacus

by spartacus

Guevarca wrote:
lol that looks awesome. Guess they didn't like their cockpit options and went nuclear.

spartacus

by spartacus

robeambro wrote:
Guevarca wrote:
Or they didn't want the available size options... or all 3

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Guevarca wrote:Back to the topic, interesting to see the team spare bikes at DDV this morning had separate bar/stem fitted… just to make the front end of the bike even more ugly!
OMG that is bad. Looks like the same stem angle I see on super old guys or newbs around here.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

lazyriderzhao

by lazyriderzhao

you know what I mean
微信图片_20230330212952.jpg

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Haha good one!
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

coldmirow

by coldmirow

Guevarca wrote:Back to the topic, interesting to see the team spare bikes at DDV this morning had separate bar/stem fitted… just to make the front end of the bike even more ugly!
Tomorrow I‘ll pick up my Oltre- is the steerer tube 1 1/8“ or 1 1/4“?
Thanks guys.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Krzysio
in the industry

by Krzysio

wheelbuilder wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:04 pm
OMG that is bad. Looks like the same stem angle I see on super old guys or newbs around here.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

I don't think it's like super old guys' stem angle. I'm almost super old guy, and our angle is absolutely horizontal, as decades ago screwed-in stems were all horizontal ;-) I made my modern ahead stems, and they're horizontal too, what means right angle minus fork angle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Krzysio
in the industry

by Krzysio

spartacus wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:27 pm
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hugo-h ... gp-denain/

Not only are they absurdly wide (44cm bars on the 120mm stem), apparently they're weak too.

Fail

This trend of proprietary, too-wide "aero" cockpits is pure pandering to freds and wanna-bes and needs to stop!
I have method to avoid of being annoyed by trends I don't like. However I have to admit, sometimes trends are so strong, that it's not easy to find what you like. The method is I never buy a bike. I buy components. Sometimes I make myself this or that.
I'll give one example from what I like/dislike. Example will be one little bit of weight weenies, so on this forum maybe not everybody would laugh me out:
Fat, comfy, supposed to be more aero tires. When I came to buy new wheelset, I wanted Bora Ultra 35 for mountains. But even for 35 they still are 17.2mm ETRTO. Too fatty fatty boom boom for my WW 20mm tires. I'm aware how good aerodynamics 25mm tires make. On tall rims! But it's out of proportions for shallow ones, where fatty tire tries to make wheell wider than taller. Still every brand keeps making shallow rims as wide as roadie's frame can swallow. So I had limited choice, and went for R-SYS. I already had bad experience with Mavic FTSL, so, I had to make adaptor for ball bearing. I hope I'm old enough that I'll disappear completely before Etrto 13, 15 disappear. 20mm tires already gone, thankfully not from my stock.