2021 Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

NordicSal wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:44 pm
Thanks for explaining the BB stuff.

I am thinking about replacing my crankset to a QUARQ+SRAM Red DUB from normal Shimano Ultegra on the Endurace. Is this combo equally bad as the standard Ultegra I have now, or is it worse, and for what reason? I know it's kinda off topic, but it's the same BB the Aeroad uses anyway.

Also, it seems to me that Canyon have obviously steered away from solely trying to create "the best bikes ever" and more into making it easier for them to make their bikes cheaper to manufacture and ship.

Quarq + SRAM Red DUB is a fantastic combo... but probably not the best for the BB86 standard. I mean, people do run this (notably, Canyons are obviously factory specced with the full AXS kit, including DUB standard chainsets), but the bearings ARE small and all things being equl this should affect their durability as well as rotational friction.

If I were you, I'd go with Rotor 24mm Aldhu Axle, Carbon cranks, their own InSpider or Power2Max spider-based PM, and either rotor or Carbon Ti chainrings. 24mm Axle will mean that you are gaining 50g of weight over 30mm axle option and maybe 60-70g over SRAM Red+Quarq (cannot remember exatly), but it should still be lighter than Ultegra and you won't have issues with BB bearings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NordicSal

by NordicSal

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:20 pm
NordicSal wrote:

I am thinking about replacing my crankset to a QUARQ+SRAM Red DUB from normal Shimano Ultegra on the Endurace. Is this combo equally bad as the standard Ultegra I have now, or is it worse, and for what reason? I know it's kinda off topic, but it's the same BB the Aeroad uses anyway.

Also, it seems to me that Canyon have obviously steered away from solely trying to create "the best bikes ever" and more into making it easier for them to make their bikes cheaper to manufacture and ship.

Quarq + SRAM Red DUB is a fantastic combo... but probably not the best for the BB86 standard. I mean, people do run this (notably, Canyons are obviously factory specced with the full AXS kit, including DUB standard chainsets), but the bearings ARE small and all things being equl this should affect their durability as well as rotational friction.

If I were you, I'd go with Rotor 24mm Aldhu Axle, Carbon cranks, their own InSpider or Power2Max spider-based PM, and either rotor or Carbon Ti chainrings. 24mm Axle will mean that you are gaining 50g of weight over 30mm axle option and maybe 60-70g over SRAM Red+Quarq (cannot remember exatly), but it should still be lighter than Ultegra and you won't have issues with BB bearings.
Thanks for the headsup - why not the standard Shimano rings though? they should fit one of the Power2Max options.

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Unfortunately, you can't mate the 24mm axle with the carbon cranks from Rotor, they only work with the 30mm axle

NordicSal

by NordicSal

Power2Max has an option where I can use Aldhu cranks, same BB86 as I have now and Shimano chainrings - if I am not mistaken. It's this vs the SRAM option which I am close to pulling the trigger for.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

NordicSal wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:58 pm
Power2Max has an option where I can use Aldhu cranks, same BB86 as I have now and Shimano chainrings - if I am not mistaken. It's this vs the SRAM option which I am close to pulling the trigger for.
Yes, shimano rings are fine of course. Best shifting quality.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:57 pm
spartacus wrote:
mrbrown4001 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 pm
Does anyone know if people from canyon are actually reading this forum? I really wish they were more transparent about the decisions they have made with the aeroad. None of them make sense and in the US I haven’t been able to get any info from anyone on anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Their engineers' heads are so far up their asses that they would probably tell everone here that has an issue they're doing something wrong and the design is perfectly great. I don't know how familiar you guys are with older German engineers but some of these guys have heads that are made of concrete.

If you don't believe me look at their presentation about that self steering crap, talk about a circle jerk.People that raise their hand and say "this kinda doesn't make sense?" don't last in places like Canyon.
I really hope this isn’t the case.

It's not and he's just making stuff up. Canyon engineers are mostly young. It's not the auto industry.

Also, if there is PR or marketing BS, I wouldn't blame the engineers (you can blame them for risky design)

thirdsun

by thirdsun

spartacus wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:36 pm
mrbrown4001 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:21 pm
Does anyone know if people from canyon are actually reading this forum? I really wish they were more transparent about the decisions they have made with the aeroad. None of them make sense and in the US I haven’t been able to get any info from anyone on anything.

Their engineers' heads are so far up their asses that they would probably tell everone here that has an issue they're doing something wrong and the design is perfectly great. I don't know how familiar you guys are with older German engineers but some of these guys have heads that are made of concrete.

If you don't believe me look at their presentation about that self steering crap, talk about a circle jerk.People that raise their hand and say "this kinda doesn't make sense?" don't last in places like Canyon.
That's a lot of generalization for a group of people you probably never met.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

NordicSal wrote:

The carbon-ti rings are light yes, but I heard they are terrible in shifting and durability. I use the Rotor ALDHU24 setup with Power2max powermeter but currently have Absolute Black rings. They are good, I am looking at potentially getting some rotor NOQ aero rings.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

MrRolandos wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:06 am

The carbon-ti rings are light yes, but I heard they are terrible in shifting and durability. I use the Rotor ALDHU24 setup with Power2max powermeter but currently have Absolute Black rings. They are good, I am looking at potentially getting some rotor NOQ aero rings.
Am using them. Shiting is not shimano quality, but works fine. No issues with durability at all - over 15k miles on them already, still looking good.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Totally random question: anyone use Absolute Black subcompact rings on R9100 on the Aeroad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TomS

by TomS

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:50 pm
Totally random question: anyone use Absolute Black subcompact rings on R9100 on the Aeroad?

No, but I'm using Praxis Works Buzz on Power2max / Rotor 24 3D and it shifts better than ultegra imho :D

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

TomS wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:

No, but I'm using Praxis Works Buzz on Power2max / Rotor 24 3D and it shifts better than ultegra imho :D
Subcompact?

TomS

by TomS

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:41 pm
TomS wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:

Subcompact?

Compact... 50-34. Not really needed here where I live (think Amstel Gold Race & Liege-Bastogne-Liege etc), but come in handy for granfondo racing in France (and increasingly more pleasant at almost 45 :mrgreen: ). 28 at the back, 30 in Granfondo's. 11-speed btw.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Going to ask a question here to the current owners of the SLX/CFR aeroad regarding the cockpit. I think many can agree that having the ability to go narrower would be a Good Thing, and for the time being, Canyon has not obliged with an appropriate factory solution. Has anyone thought about/explored whether there is a way to do DIY modification on the factory CP0018 cockpit to make it narrower?

Looking at the schematics, two possibilities spring to mind:
1) (easier) - drilling another hole further out from the centre on each of the end of the bars that slides into the centre piece, and sawing a cm or so off the end. Would that enable the bar ends to go in? Or are there shape limitations that will prevent any further insertion?
2) (harder) - same modification but on the centre piece - i.e., tap another hole closer to the centre, cut off bits from the edges.

I realize that this falls into "scary" category, but would be curious to find out what folks think. From a structural perspective, I don't think this is that risky, if done carefully and with good tools. After all, the bars are strong enough to hold weight in their widest position, and making things narrower will reduce the torque. E.g., in scenario 1, one could start by simply cutting off the first hole of the tips of the bar-ends, to see if one can get them inserted further into the centre at all, before doing any drilling, and that would have no structural or aesthetic consequences and I would think worth a try.

Aero benefits of this are pretty obvious, so I will not belabor them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomtom

by tomtom

Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:53 am
Going to ask a question here to the current owners of the SLX/CFR aeroad regarding the cockpit. I think many can agree that having the ability to go narrower would be a Good Thing, and for the time being, Canyon has not obliged with an appropriate factory solution. Has anyone thought about/explored whether there is a way to do DIY modification on the factory CP0018 cockpit to make it narrower?

Looking at the schematics, two possibilities spring to mind:
1) (easier) - drilling another hole further out from the centre on each of the end of the bars that slides into the centre piece, and sawing a cm or so off the end. Would that enable the bar ends to go in? Or are there shape limitations that will prevent any further insertion?
2) (harder) - same modification but on the centre piece - i.e., tap another hole closer to the centre, cut off bits from the edges.

I realize that this falls into "scary" category, but would be curious to find out what folks think. From a structural perspective, I don't think this is that risky, if done carefully and with good tools. After all, the bars are strong enough to hold weight in their widest position, and making things narrower will reduce the torque. E.g., in scenario 1, one could start by simply cutting off the first hole of the tips of the bar-ends, to see if one can get them inserted further into the centre at all, before doing any drilling, and that would have no structural or aesthetic consequences and I would think worth a try.

Aero benefits of this are pretty obvious, so I will not belabor them.
Not possible; shapes of barends and centre pieces differ to much
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF