The official : "what have you bought today" topic

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kervelo

by kervelo

spud wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 9:29 pm
kervelo wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:20 pm
Yet another pair of shoes: the Shimano xc702 in red for gravel as well as mtb xc.
did you use 701s prior? difference in fit?
Sorry, I have not used xc701.

nickf

by nickf

Uxcell 6706-2RS bearings off Amazon for my Extralight ultratop headset. Extralight wanted €20 for a replacement plus shipping. Lets see if these Amazon bearings at $5 each last. Bearing was an exact fit and headset is silky smooth again. Original bearing was crunchy inside and out, about 2 years old I would guess.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

^ once I stopped hanging my still wet bike by the back wheel, my headset corrosion problems went away. Ruined 2 or 3 headsets that way, since I changed my habits, no more headset replacements.

nickf

by nickf

spud wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:42 pm
^ once I stopped hanging my still wet bike by the back wheel, my headset corrosion problems went away. Ruined 2 or 3 headsets that way, since I changed my habits, no more headset replacements.
Gets stored inside with air-condition level to the ground. This bike lived in Florida until a year ago. I'm a fair weather rider so really no rain, just lots of humidity. If I can get a couple years out of a relatively cheap bearing I'm ok with that.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Had those original etap shifter buttons bought from Skunkworks but recently broke one of them at the cable end when taping it down. Bought these at a superb price from China for my wife's bike, and these are now going on my Factor too. Image

PinaRene

by PinaRene

4iiii GXP810 for the gravelbike

TwincamRob

by TwincamRob

Kayrehn wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:31 pm
Had those original etap shifter buttons bought from Skunkworks but recently broke one of them at the cable end when taping it down. Bought these at a superb price from China for my wife's bike, and these are now going on my Factor too. Image
Nice! Got a link?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

A picture search is best actually, I can't access shared taobao links somehow. I just realised there's an option for a sprint+climbing button option too for less than a dollar more, crazy value! But only if you know how to shop on that market.. Image

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

jaibautista

by jaibautista

Very, very lucky to chance upon a secondhand Serotta Fierte (Saratoga tubes) in great condition, with Easton EC90 SL fork and Ritchey Super Logic seatpost for only ~US$270 :D

jayjay

by jayjay

318g

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

The bike fairy brought some goodies today. Now the hard part. Which one to keep? Trying to do the mental gymnastics to justify $150 for solar charging and black bezels.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

spokenwords

by spokenwords

Go solar. I wanna know if it works at keeping a charge.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

nickf

by nickf

Solar charging if you do crazy long multi day unsupported rides. Don't see the actual point with 30+hours of battery life.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

[quote=nickf post_id=1752031 time=1654981700 user_id=15364]
Solar charging if you do crazy long multi day unsupported rides. Don't see the actual point with 30+hours of battery life.
[/quote]

I see this as something my friends would use, not all but some. Several of them have participated in RAAM. Definitely a very select group of candidates for this Garmin.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

edchristoph

by edchristoph

When I went through all the parts I had left over in my workshop I figured I had a complete bike minus the frame. I found a good deal for a BMC Roadmachine 01 frameset in size 56 which would make a nice new bike for my daughter

...and after a few days I came up with this beauty: