The official : "what have you bought today" topic

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Gorgeous!!!! Hope they are getting built up and used and not hung on a wall

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

PinaRene

by PinaRene

PinaRene wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:37 am
2 Framesets of the yesteryears.

@Maccurryinahurry : Yes these will be build !! The C40 with period correct Campagolo Record 10 speed with Campagnolo Electron wheels ( tires will change I guess. - The C50 with 11 speed Camapgnolo Record / Super Record from the Holdsworth. I hope this week I have both frames in house and I can check the fit. If one of them doesn't fit ( and that could be the C40 :shock: ) then I will hang it on the wall or sell it to a Colnago lover.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jurez

by jurez

C36 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:11 am
A pair of the out of production Comète Ultimate with carbon shell.
249g in 42 2/3 (here weighted with 83g cleats)

The quality of the entire package is quite something and if they fit you they are amazing. Fantastic ankle freedom and remain incredibly stable during pedal stroke.
When walking I had heel moving a lot but while pedalling nothing.

Those are the Ultimate II right? Beautiful shoes, out of production already?
Anything that replaces those?
Are they comfy for 4-6h rides?

Where did you get them if you dont mind answering, I saw some strangely cheap pop up on willhaben and ebay-kleinanzeigen and being a bit of a mavic fanboy they piqued my interest but have been really really dissapointed in mavic spare parts, whether it be wheels or shoes.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

jurez wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:55 am
Those are the Ultimate II right? Beautiful shoes, out of production already?

Where did you get them if you dont mind answering, I saw some strangely cheap pop up on willhaben and ebay-kleinanzeigen and being a bit of a mavic fanboy they piqued my interest but have been really really dissapointed in mavic spare parts, whether it be wheels or shoes.
To cut a long story short, Mavic went into receivership in 2020 and the new owner wants to focus solely on wheels. Any helmets, shoes, clothing etc. will be end of line production and I wouldn't hold your breath on spares or support going forward.

C36

by C36

jurez wrote: Those are the Ultimate II right? Beautiful shoes, out of production already?

Yes that’s the second generation of Ultimates with the 1st generation package (so hard transport box, custom overshoes, transport bag) they got ride off later to cut costs.
I got them directly from Mavic and guess some of the ones available on the web may come from the same source.

Those shoes is hit or miss, that’s what killed the concept, but they also allow you to do something unique, that is to place foam inserts wherever you need… something I got used to do on some racing ski shoes many years ago. For example I have a small 2mm foam insert on a side where I felt some pression. Totally invisible but reach a custom level of confort I never had before.
Another unique thing, I have very narrow feet and the fact that the end of the shoe is rigid, it doesn’t wrinkle when I tighten them.

I used them 5 hours max without a single problem. The main surprising aspect is that you don’t have to tighten them as much as other shoes to feel pure contact with the pedals. The ankle also feels extremely free.

MichaelK wrote:
To cut a long story short, Mavic went into receivership in 2020 and the new owner wants to focus solely on wheels. Any helmets, shoes, clothing etc. will be end of line production and I wouldn't hold your breath on spares or support going forward.
That was an announcement made 2 years ago and other shoes are still be manufactured ; so not sure how valid this is and their shoes do sell well in the countries I ride.
The spares won’t run dry soon… the discs are shared with other shoes, the cleat thread insert also, the only thing specific are the heel insert?

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Klaster_1 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:57 pm
A matching Podium bottle, really love the valve system over conventional valves. Now I won't have to pour water from one bottle to another during rides.
Fill those bottles and they'll come close to the bike weight!

jurez

by jurez

C36 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:55 pm
jurez wrote: Those are the Ultimate II right? Beautiful shoes, out of production already?

Yes that’s the second generation of Ultimates with the 1st generation package (so hard transport box, custom overshoes, transport bag) they got ride off later to cut costs.
I got them directly from Mavic and guess some of the ones available on the web may come from the same source.

Those shoes is hit or miss, that’s what killed the concept, but they also allow you to do something unique, that is to place foam inserts wherever you need… something I got used to do on some racing ski shoes many years ago. For example I have a small 2mm foam insert on a side where I felt some pression. Totally invisible but reach a custom level of confort I never had before.
Another unique thing, I have very narrow feet and the fact that the end of the shoe is rigid, it doesn’t wrinkle when I tighten them.

I used them 5 hours max without a single problem. The main surprising aspect is that you don’t have to tighten them as much as other shoes to feel pure contact with the pedals. The ankle also feels extremely free.

MichaelK wrote:
That was an announcement made 2 years ago and other shoes are still be manufactured ; so not sure how valid this is and their shoes do sell well in the countries I ride.
The spares won’t run dry soon… the discs are shared with other shoes, the cleat thread insert also, the only thing specific are the heel insert?
Thanks for the extensive info.
What about durability, do you think they will last you for a long time or done in 2-3 years?

C36

by C36

jurez wrote:
C36 wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:55 pm

MichaelK wrote:
Thanks for the extensive info.
What about durability, do you think they will last you for a long time or done in 2-3 years?
I lack km but two friends have them for 4-5 years without any sign of wear. I protected mines with “helicopter tape” where I could possibly damage them.
The fact the booty can be removed allow to dry better and potentially to be repaired it if ever needed.

moonoi

by moonoi

Just got a Farsports F1S integrated bar with the D printed spacer for my Supersixevo. Surprised by how light it feels

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Zipp 404 Firecrest. GP5000 S TR mounted up 25/28, Dura-Ace 11-30t casstette, and XTR 160/140 rotors. 2,591g as shown, ready to roll with sealant. Decals were around 24g; thinking about picking up some of the old logo decals in white. Of course we got our first snow of the year yesterday so I can't ride.

Update: Put the wheels on.
Last edited by LanceLegstrong on Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

sonic

by sonic

Hi,

looks good!
How wide are the tyres on these rims?
Plan to buy a pair for myself.

Thanks
Stefan

marian

by marian

from old school 26” full to hardtail 29" procaliber 9.8. Well spent money. The difference is really profoundImage

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Spec Mirror 143mm, not light, but quite comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

nismosr

by nismosr

BF deals .. more to come !
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

sonic wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:34 am
Hi,

looks good!
How wide are the tyres on these rims?
Plan to buy a pair for myself.

Thanks
Stefan
They measure about a mm wider than stated. So 26mm and 29mm. Easiest tubeless setup I've ever done though. No levers needed.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR