Cycling & Infertility: anyone see this article?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8124458.stm

Pretty concerning, though I'm not sure how reputable the journal/research is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

Yeah, I read this yesterday.

I don't know dwaharvey. This summer has been very hectic for me so I only get 200-300 miles a week but I recently had a fertility test done for my GFs medical school class on fertility and the results were very negative if I don't want kids. The Fertility doctors told my GF that they rarely see so much healthy sperm swimming around after sitting at room temperature for so long(I shot my load 5 hrs before her class). She said it was still about 80% healthy with sperm zooming across the scope lens like they were on a mission. They even put my jizz up on the overhead projector to show what super healthy semen should look like. All the males in class who just gave a fresh sample had much lower sperm count, plus their semen was mostly deformed and lower fluid volume.

I remember last yr I rode many more miles a week and did a test on my own in the lab. The results were the same.

I think other factors come into play such as diet, health and maybe individual vitality, life energy if you will? I always thought my sperm would be the Olympic swimmers of the human world because I think to some extent my sperm fits my intense personality maybe, and or healthy body?(this could be total BS) Everyone is different.

I don't know why the students at my GFs school had such horrible sperm, maybe they are under emotional, physical and nutritional stress?
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

My evidence is not as scientific as bug man's, but I have twins and at the time I think her sister in the next room got a little pregnant too. :lol:

I expect to hear from Jack Lawrence any minute now.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

TheBugMan wrote:Yeah, I read this yesterday.

I remember last yr I rode many more miles a week and did a test on my own in the lab. The results were the same.

I think other factors come into play such as diet, health and maybe individual vitality, life energy if you will? I always thought my sperm would be the Olympic swimmers of the human world because I think to some extent my sperm fits my intense personality maybe, and or healthy body?(this could be total BS) Everyone is different.

I don't know why the students at my GFs school had such horrible sperm, maybe they are under emotional, physical and nutritional stress?

I think it's because they wear underwear and you don't.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

300km/week? OMG, what about the postmen?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Making babies is so much more fun with just 4% active sperm though. Kind of gives you an excuse to bang away like rabbits day after day!
y

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Ummm... Jens Voigt has, what, 7 children? (I think it goes up every 9 months though... he could be on #11 and I wouldn't be surprised)

I do about 300mi/week and haven't had any fertility issues. :twisted:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Well, I ride regularly and have succeeded in the whole reproduction thing (twice!). So I am not concerned.

Filled my quota, not interested in making more bambinos. So I guess I could care less if only 4% of my little guys end up being super-duper active. :mrgreen:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

NS

by NS

I'm upping the mileage to make sure

Murphs

by Murphs

Three words: Selle SMP Saddle

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

NS wrote:I'm upping the mileage to make sure

Same here.

Every month at "that time" my gf tells me the bad news followed by the good news that it means "no babies". Makes TP a happy man.

But a few thousand extra km's a week might not be a bad thing - just to be double sure :wink:

swinter

by swinter

There've been other studies like this. But they know so little it's shocking.

I had 1/3 the number of sperm and only 5% motility. Doctors said I would never have kids. Got three -- all of whom look like me (to my wife's chagrin). Go figure. :roll:
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

micky

by micky

Im not married nor have actually a GF but often I get the topic title as questions by non-cycling friends.
My answer usually is "then why so many pros have so many kids?".
Probably not a very smart answer, but I rarely heard of cycling friends having troubles getting kids. :D

req110

by req110

cycling has impact, here are my spermiograms and difference is noticable.

SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

matcav

by matcav

req110 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:03 pm
cycling has impact, here are my spermiograms and difference is noticable.

well...correlation is not causation.