The stupidest thing you've heard at a bike shop...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

rowdyyy

by rowdyyy

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:13 am
If I want to hear stupid things from a bike shop, I just load up GC Performance, Mapdec or George Vargas on YouTube.
That made me laugh more than it should

req110

by req110

rowdyyy wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:44 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:13 am
If I want to hear stupid things from a bike shop, I just load up GC Performance, Mapdec or George Vargas on YouTube.
That made me laugh more than it should
SUPER AERO
SUPER LIGHT
SUPER STIFF!
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Not necessarily on topic, but applicable none the less.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:59 pm
so it turns out my daughter maybe wants to start riding a road bike ;D ;D ;D

when i joined this board i was practically a kid myself, but that's another story.. one at hand is i was visting some shops to see what they might have in stock, perhaps some 'old' bikes in smaller sizes etc.

here's what i've independently learned at some of the joints - first of all a 'startng bike' should be a pricy carbon thingy (dude was pointing at an ultegra equipped giant tcr; maybe my fault as i was very over dressed that day) cause it's lighter, thus easier to maneuver. secondly it's gotta have rim brakes as discs are too dangerous for beginners. third piece of advice is to go with electronic shifting because if you shift when you're not supposed to with 'cables' you might harm your drivetrain or even break it.

seems even a perfect rookie bike exists only between salespeople individual imaginations
The carbon is of course the dumbest thing ever. But the rim vs disc might have some merit for those who haven't ridden a bike. I went for a ride in Spain on a mtn bike trail with a tour group and a woman who "wanted to ride with me" face planted within the first ten feet of the parking lot braking for a speed bump... Had to go to the hospital to X-ray ribs and shoulder.

Lina

by Lina

tymon_tm wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:59 pm
so it turns out my daughter maybe wants to start riding a road bike ;D ;D ;D

when i joined this board i was practically a kid myself, but that's another story.. one at hand is i was visting some shops to see what they might have in stock, perhaps some 'old' bikes in smaller sizes etc.

here's what i've independently learned at some of the joints - first of all a 'startng bike' should be a pricy carbon thingy (dude was pointing at an ultegra equipped giant tcr; maybe my fault as i was very over dressed that day) cause it's lighter, thus easier to maneuver. secondly it's gotta have rim brakes as discs are too dangerous for beginners. third piece of advice is to go with electronic shifting because if you shift when you're not supposed to with 'cables' you might harm your drivetrain or even break it.

seems even a perfect rookie bike exists only between salespeople individual imaginations
Electronic shifting is probably the best thing to happen when it comes to small women riding bikes. I know a couple girls that struggled shifting mechanical front derailleurs because they had such small hands and not a lot of strength in them. They wouldn't even touch a bike without electronic shifting now.

zirxo

by zirxo

Both electronic shifting and hydraulic brakes are a godsend for kids/"weak" people. One finger braking and clicking a button instead of pushing that FD makes a load of difference.

I bought my 6 year old her first MTB and opted for hydraulic brakes to make it as easy as possible for her. If electronic shifting were cheaper I would've aimed for that as well.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Heres a test. Intentionally "mispronounce" one of the made up words cycling companies use and get the sales person to correct you. Domane......hard "a" and silent "e" or soft "a" and hard "e"? Who cares. It's a made up word! When I bought my first cervelo, some body came to me, and said "that's a nice shervelo".....lol. Maybe that was right. Who knows?

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

Your brand new bike is squeaking because you washed your bike. A clean bike is a squeaky bike.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

goodboyr wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:20 am
Heres a test. Intentionally "mispronounce" one of the made up words cycling companies use and get the sales person to correct you. Domane......hard "a" and silent "e" or soft "a" and hard "e"? Who cares. It's a made up word! When I bought my first cervelo, some body came to me, and said "that's a nice shervelo".....lol. Maybe that was right. Who knows?

Aren't all words are made up?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:37 am
goodboyr wrote:

Turn that around.......

Shimano becomes Shimoonoo
Campagnolo becomes Campagnolio, Campynoolo
105 becomes Hundred and Five
Ultegra becomes Ulteeega
Mavic is Mahvik
Dura Ace becomes Durarchee
Acciaio becomes Acheeo, Akio etc
Cervelo becomes Chervelo, Servelo
Colnago gains an extra letter to become Colynago or even Colynagio

Most, but not all, are customers.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Lina wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:28 pm
Electronic shifting is probably the best thing to happen when it comes to small women riding bikes. I know a couple girls that struggled shifting mechanical front derailleurs because they had such small hands and not a lot of strength in them. They wouldn't even touch a bike without electronic shifting now.
[/quote]

this is interesting; i remember putting together a road bike for my sis (she was then more or less the age of my kid now) - with a shmano sorry groupset. she has never ever complained being 155cm tall and skinny like a meth addict.

I was also pals with some girls racing at local team years ago; again, we talked saddles, shoes.. but shifting? break8ng? not that i recall

nowadays my befriended lbs has a sort of development team many teenage daughters are in. they mostly ride on small frames with groupsets and wheels inherited from their dads. I gotta ask around but i'm fairly certain they're able to shift

there's a saying in eastern europe - "communism was the best system to resolve issues it had created in the first place". afaik these issues with shifting and breaking you mention occurred when D2 and discs had appeared :beerchug:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

ultimobici wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:04 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
goodboyr wrote:

Turn that around.......

Ultegra becomes Ulteeega
Mavic is Mahvik

my ears hurt when Orbea turns into Orrheea (slent B) and Dura Ace is slammed around from Dee-reece to Duraque ;D i just call it 'durex'; i know how lame it is, but at least everyone gets it... :oops:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

ultimobici wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:04 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
goodboyr wrote:

Turn that around.......

Ultegra becomes Ulteeega
Mavic is Mahvik

You use ones I use!
SRAM become S-ram. S-Ram four che

blutto

by blutto

TobinHatesYou wrote:
goodboyr wrote:

...just love it when a know-it-all wanders way out of his lane and starts pontificating .....the inevitable faceplant is , uhhhh, oh so delicious...

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

The funniest things I heard were from brands representative especially over the transition to Drisc brakes

Scott rep: our disc bikes come in 28mm (vs 25 in rim brake) tires cause like this people can feel they can brake harder.

SRAM rep: with disc brakes you charge more maintenance so discs will increase your revenue. (Actually I am curious if that has been the case or not… my closest LBS said it’s very likely, so it might just fall into the cynical category)

Non DB related

DT rep: you need wider tires to go fast so you need wider rims to go with the tires.
Me: but even swissside who developed your rims said in absolute narrower was faster
DT rep: yes but now people want wider tires so you need those wider rims if you want to be faster.

Fitter: the bike size doesn’t really matter, what matters is the 3 contact point position
Me: but what about handling, weight repartition or bike geometry
Fitter: that’s irrelevant nowadays you don’t understand it

I am sure I have few more like this… need to dig into my memories.