The stupidest thing you've heard at a bike shop...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

plpete

by plpete

wingguy wrote:(Although for me, high speed descents are more than reason enough :wink: )

I love fast descends as well and very often pedal on the way down but at a certain point you're just better off tucking down and getting more aero. For the record, with the 10-speed groups, Sram is still offering 12-25, 12-26, 12-27, 12-28, 12-32 as well as 11-xx options. Makes me wish that there was an option to custom select your gearing when ordering a cassette for those that like to have a specific ratio set.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^Totally with you on that point as well. After a certain point you're going to be going faster, and with more control, in an aero tuck than you would frantically trying to spin an 11 tooth cog with any kind of meaningful power. Where I do like the 11 tooth is on downhill grades that are not steep enough to spin out and you can actually can apply meaningful power to go faster, if you care to do so. And some sprint situations for sure.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

11t = tailwind sprint ;)
Using Tapatalk

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

tymon_tm wrote:honestly, I've no idea how much chainrings cost alone, I can only imagine somewhere around 30% of an entire crankset price, and yes, a bike shop that actually sells stuff to roadies and has two or three service joints across the town (not to mention being close with one local club the owner helped putting together) shouldn't have issues selling an ultegra cassette or chainrings (probably the most popular groupset here, and they do get worned out don;t they).

I have only brief experience working at a bike shop, not even a year, but such bold demands as mine (we didn't even talk price mind you) were rather dealt with with a smile on our faces. and - to show you some perspective - I'm talking times where shops didn;t stock road bikes or parts, almost at all. this has changed a lot in the recent decade, more shops, more stuff, more and more fancy bikes on the roads. so it's either their plates are full, or they're idiots. it's one thing to expect a product at a wholesale price and a service for free, it's another to express a reasonable expectation and get hit with a definite NO. BECAUSE. it's no wonder people like me choose online shops and build bike ourselves, if so often there;s no room to tweak a (expensive) bike that you intend to spend so much time on. shops tend to forget components on new bikes are new, and it's better off for both sides to swap them - change a saddle, put a longer stem, different tyres, than make customers look for other shops or start buying parts online.

dealing with bike shops recently makes me wanna cry how bad they are at meeting my needs, and I'm seriously thinking about opening my own joint.. but that's another stor
y

You really should open up your own shop! Think of all the money you could make selling take off bike parts below your cost.

jeffy

by jeffy

53x12 wrote:
Not all cyclists are strong enough to push a 53/11 up a 7% climb.

What the *f##k* did you just *f##k* say about me, you little fixie bitch? I’ll have you know I have a top of the range carbon Cervelo, and I’ve raced numerous crits, and I have over 300 confirmed KOMs on strava. I am trained in bicycle maintenance and I’m the top mechanic in the country. You are nothing to me but just another commuter. I will wipe you the *f##k* out on any climb, mark my *f##k* words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, *f##k*. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of Feather dealerships across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re *f##k* dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I could drop you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with one foot clipped in. Not only am I a pro tour winner, but I have access to the entire arsenal of aero bars, stems, forks, you name it, and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of this forum, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your *f##k* tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will fart a wet one as I am dropping you and you will drown in it. You’re *f##k* dead, kiddo.
Last edited by jeffy on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

jeffy wrote:
53x12 wrote:
Not all cyclists are strong enough to push a 53/11 up a 7% climb.

What the *f##k* did you just *f##k* say about me, you little fixie bitch? I’ll have you know I have a top of the range carbon Cervelo, and I’ve raced numerous crits, and I have over 300 confirmed KOMs on strava. I am trained in bicycle maintenance and I’m the top mechanic in the country. You are nothing to me but just another commuter. I will wipe you the *f##k* out on any climb, mark my *f##k* words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, *f##k*. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of Feather dealerships across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re *f##k* dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I could drop you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with one foot clipped in. Not only am I a pro tour winner, but I have access to the entire arsenal of aero bars, stems, forks, you name it, and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of this subreddit, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your *f##k* tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will fart a wet one as I am dropping you and you will drown in it. You’re *f##k* dead, kiddo.

Whaa....
Using Tapatalk

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Uh, seriously. Geezo

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

jeffy wrote some "copypasta"

Here's the reference:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/navy-seal-copypasta

But editing it is key, and jeffy did a pretty good job at it. I laughed...and coughed, because I'm battling the flu right now.
Thanks for making my throat and lungs hurt, jeffy. :(
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Zitter wrote:Tymon, you buy the bike and then make the swaps yourself and sell off the take-offs. Expecting a shop to bear that cost for you is ridiculous; they're hardly making any money on the bike in the first place. Even if it is a brand new takeoff, they would be lucky to get their cost back on it since it's technically used and out of packaging, so then they give up all the margin on the parts they just swapped out for you. That's how bike shops go out of business.

I work at a large online retailer and even we don't do swaps like that.

yes of course I can do that. that's not the point though. the point is - shop selling a high end bike can't even try to handle customer's expectations, that are essential regarding his needs. what's the point of buying expensive stuff if it doesn't suit you.

about not making money by bike shops, what sort of silly urban legend that is. depending on the bike brand the margin's always between, say 10-25%. that's at least few hundret euro from the bike I wanted to purchase. maybe it's not much where you live, but here, that's close to a medium monthly wage.

and again, from business perspective, having customers tweak and upgrade bikes on their own is a straight path to losing them to online shops or lbs' that actually give a damn. my father's company sold computers in the 90's, he used to say it's not always about making that much profit from a given transaction, it's sometimes about preventing your competition from earning. you might earn less today, but will gain a satisfied customer who's going to bring you profit in a long run.

about re-using new parts. two shops I frequently buy at, they do this all the time, mostly using those parts for servicing bikes - you want them to change the cassette, swap a stem, get new tires, they'll often offer you a part that's been taken from some brand new bike. you'll get a discount (say, 10-15%) and both sides of the deal are happy, although LBS doesn't really make much on that particular part. also club members and masters often seek for that kind of offers, as they burn through components faster and the price plays a big role for them.

so this might be a cultural thing, having a brand new part in the box. apparently the definition of "new" is different for me, and different for some of you. from where I stand, and many people I know do, that doesn't matter at all. but again, 10 years ago shops here wouldn't even stock expensive (especially road) bike components, so that maybe makes us appreciate what we ride and what we buy a little bit more. those shops that were operating at that time, and succesfully still do, have no issues with swapping a part and selling it afterwards. there's always someone who's gonna need it. and it's not like people come in and ask for half a bike being replaced. it's not something I did (cassette? chainrings? really...lol?) those shops even buy bikes at the end of the season (with a huge discount) and sell them for parts (yup, no boxes here, and grease all over them lol) for the pure joy of customers who can save some cash and still get a new part.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

nd2rc

by nd2rc

prendrefeu wrote:jeffy wrote some "copypasta"

Here's the reference:

But editing it is key, and jeffy did a pretty good job at it. I laughed...and coughed, because I'm battling the flu right now.

Oh, I get it now. Well I guess this just means I'm getting old and out of "touch" .... :(

jeffy

by jeffy

prendrefeu wrote:jeffy wrote some "copypasta"

Here's the reference:

Someone else altered it, hence me forgetting to edit out subreddit and replace with forum.

i can't do anything right :noidea:

Zitter

by Zitter

Tymon, you're just proving that you don't know how the bicycle industry works and have no idea what kind of money it takes to run a shop. Shops aren't making most of their money on bikes; it's on aftermarket components, accessories, and labor. If a shop isn't making around 30% margin on their total sales, they're most likely running in the red. That few hundred euros you're talking about has to cover rent, utilities, inventory, wages, insurance, store improvements and a myriad of other costs. It's pretty standard to offer a discount on the parts you want to replace on the bike, but to have them do it at no cost and bleeding money on a sale they're already not making much money on in the first place is silly. Some shops are willing to bear the cost and inventory space to sell take-offs to stay afloat, but it's not a standard practice unless they're doing a high enough volume on higher margin parts to offset the cost. Maybe you're used to some mom and pop shop who don't mind losing money and don't care about growing as a business.

You should take a look at this, but then again business practices may be different from where you are

http://nbda.com/how-to/want-to-start-a- ... p-pg70.htm
Last edited by Zitter on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

wingguy

by wingguy

tymon_tm wrote:about not making money by bike shops, what sort of silly urban legend that is. depending on the bike brand the margin's always between, say 10-25%. that's at least few hundret euro from the bike I wanted to purchase. maybe it's not much where you live, but here, that's close to a medium monthly wage.

I really, really hope you're not under the impression that the 'few hundred euros' margin on the bike is money that goes into the shop owner's pocket. Outside of the cost of the stock itself a large portion of the apparent margin is used up just keeping the lights on.

Excellent link there Zitter. Tymon: you really should have a look at it before you sign the contracts on your own shop :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

Zitter dropping the knowledge!

According to the NBDA, which I find consistent with my own numbers, the CODB is around 38-40%.

Not every sale is a good one.