The stupidest thing you've heard at a bike shop...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

in 2008, evenfasterson wrote:
Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:12 pm
"ISIS BB? Whats an ISIS BB?"

Muppet. :roll:
5 or 6 years ago in a bike shop, I overheard

Customer: I need an ISIS bottom bracket (customer sounded it out EYE SIS)
Shop Manager: No!! We don't support terrorists!!
Customer: What? I just want an ISIS bottom bracket.
Shop manager: I told you, we don't support terrorists. Now get the hell out of the store before I call the cops.

Me: Exit stage right.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I was once sold an Italian threaded BB to go with Cervelo Solist alloy frame.
I hadn't bought a road bike since 98 and this was 10 years later.
I purchase the frame, asked which BB I needed and was told as Cervelo where Italian it would be an Italian threaded BB.
I remember placing the bike on its side on the kitchen floor and attempting to screw the BB in. It took about a minute to see it was wrong.

I don't expect everyone to know everything but this one seemed fairly obvious looking back.
If I'd been more forceful I could have made a real mess of things.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

so i'm recently looking for a new ride; obviously what I want isn't what I can get (an aero rim brake bike with mech. groupset.. ), but I won't hassle y'all with all the BS thrown at my face, besides I tell them this just for kicks, I'm pretty aware my next bike's gonna have all these *extras* and weight at least 1kg more...

but with supply issues there's still a huge difference between what's out there (on websites and catalogues) and what's availible for purchase. so this one dude, being helpless with no aero bikes on the floor and none to be expected, points at a TCR or Scultura or whatever it was and says:

"but this one's even more aero. see? less material here, and here.. less material, more aero"
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

tarmackev wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:40 am
I was once sold an Italian threaded BB to go with Cervelo Solist alloy frame.
I hadn't bought a road bike since 98 and this was 10 years later.
I purchase the frame, asked which BB I needed and was told as Cervelo where Italian it would be an Italian threaded BB.
I remember placing the bike on its side on the kitchen floor and attempting to screw the BB in. It took about a minute to see it was wrong.

I don't expect everyone to know everything but this one seemed fairly obvious looking back.
If I'd been more forceful I could have made a real mess of things.
At least you didn't leave it with them to securely cross-thread it in.
Then they'd break out the Italian BB tap to fix it as they claim a manufacturing defect.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

:beerchug: I'd say this madcow post from Oct 21, 2008 is by far the funniest story in this thread. :beerchug:
madcow wrote:
Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:30 am
This one happened in our own shop, a campus shop at the UofA.

One of our regulars is in the store. He's blind and is the stoker on a tandem. He has his dog next to him as he's trying on helmets. When he leaves one of the "higher education" students asks the guy behind the counter how a blind guy can ride a bike. The guy behind the counter says that "he rides on the back of a tandem"..... The girl accepts that, but then starts to look really confused. After a minute she leans over the counter and quietly asks the salesman in all sincerity, "how does the dog steer the bike?"

Singular

by Singular

HammerTime2 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:46 am
:beerchug: I'd say this madcow post from Oct 21, 2008 is by far the funniest story in this thread. :beerchug:
madcow wrote:
Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:30 am
This one happened in our own shop, a campus shop at the UofA.

One of our regulars is in the store. He's blind and is the stoker on a tandem. He has his dog next to him as he's trying on helmets. When he leaves one of the "higher education" students asks the guy behind the counter how a blind guy can ride a bike. The guy behind the counter says that "he rides on the back of a tandem"..... The girl accepts that, but then starts to look really confused. After a minute she leans over the counter and quietly asks the salesman in all sincerity, "how does the dog steer the bike?"
Pure gold!

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Serious question from a former higher education student (not UofA), because I have no idea how tandems work.

I presume the stoker wouldn't operate brakes, or at least the bike could be set up that way, or the stoker could just never apply brakes.

But might the stoker continue to pedal when the captain applies the brakes? How does that work? Does the captain have to tell the stoker to stop pedaling?

Konsi

by Konsi

tymon_tm wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:55 am
so i'm recently looking for a new ride; obviously what I want isn't what I can get (an aero rim brake bike with mech. groupset.. ), but I won't hassle y'all with all the BS thrown at my face, besides I tell them this just for kicks, I'm pretty aware my next bike's gonna have all these *extras* and weight at least 1kg more...

https://www.anibis.ch/de/d-motorrad-~-v ... ps=20&pr=1 If this is your size I am pretty sure they would build it up with a different groupset for you

Karvalo

by Karvalo

HammerTime2 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:35 pm
But might the stoker continue to pedal when the captain applies the brakes? How does that work? Does the captain have to tell the stoker to stop pedaling?
I would assume that a captain would tell a blind stoker about a lot of stuff coming up - corners for instance.

But I also assume that the blind stoker still has a functional inner ear... unless you're saying you can't feel when brakes are applied on a bike without knowing that you're squeezing the lever?

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Front and rear chainsets are also linked by a fixed chain, so you can easily feel how each other are pedaling.

ms6073

by ms6073

CarlosFerreiro wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:08 am
Front and rear chainsets are also linked by a fixed chain, so you can easily feel how each other are pedaling.
Da Vinci tandems feature an Independent Coasting System (ICS) that allows either rider to stop pedaling at any time without affecting the other rider.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Konsi wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:17 pm
tymon_tm wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:55 am

https://www.anibis.ch/de/d-motorrad-~-v ... ps=20&pr=1 If this is your size I am pretty sure they would build it up with a different groupset for you
thanks but If I had a budget like that i'd just go for a brand new SLR (~6000 euro for a frameset alone..)
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

I've heard many, because mainly having to clean up the asses of these shit arrogant mechanics, some of the things off the top of my head:

1. (rear wheel wobbling), the bearings are shot, while trying to fit non-boost hubs onto a boost frame. It was a world cup edition of Scott Scale which is expensive AF. I'm surprised that shit even fit at the first place. jeebus, could have cracked the blardy frame.
2. You only need finger tight torque for Disc Rotors. <--- for *f##k* sake I ran the hell out of the shop while trying to borrow a thin spline tool to torque down my rotor. At the time I did not have the appropriate tool for it and neither did he.
3. You don't need to torque down hard on the cassette because then it is easier to remove it later.
4. Setting Di2 with limit screws like mechanical shifting (this is on a *f##k* video teaching others how to set them up)

I hate my local bike stores.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

In here a well known and highly considered mechanic destroyed my Campagnolo SR shifters clamp alu bolt head and left the shifter really loose. Other shifter was well tightened.

When picking up the bike he kept telling me it should be like that because if I fall, the shifter can turn inside and not destroy it.  Yea right... It was dangerously loose. Later on started to argue the bolt was already f**cked when I brought it and could not do anything more. I don't care if he destroyed it but tell the customer it's not ok to use it and buy a new one. He had the right bolt on his own spare Campy shifters which he could just use and told me to buy new for him.

Other LBS had to dremel it out and used over half an hour for it.

kervelo

by kervelo

MagicShite wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:22 am
I hate my local bike stores.
I have no reason to hate my LBS's. I have never used any LBS. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com