Opinions on bike position

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

smithy1.0

by smithy1.0

Ok Guys,

I'm a MTB racer who likes to dabble in a road race from time to time as well as doing road work for training. I have an 06 Giant OCR that I got some time ago, but have never really been happy with the fit/position. Recently I decided that the stock bars had to go as I didn't like the feel of them in the drops, so fitted some Pro PLT compacts with a longer, 120mm Ritchey stem to replace the standard 105mm one. The bike now feels so much better to ride, and is very comfortable in the drops.

I'd now just like an experienced view on how I look on the bike, so here are a couple of shots. I plan to build up a WW road bike for racing next year so want to get my position/fit sorted out before I start buying frames and parts for it. Sorry about the jeans... I just got these shots taken quickly up and down my street.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7127025@N02/1096021141/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7127025@N02/1096880332/

Thanks!! 8)
Orbea Alma Carbon MTB
GT-R Ultra Carbon Road

Click for my Blog!

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Larger stem and saddle little back.
My cycling trainer always said i have one of the best positions, because i have very long legs and arms, and my saddle is very high, but handlebar very low.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by Guest

well its mostly down to comfort really, there doesn't look to be anything particularly wrong with your position on the bike, personally i prefer a much more compact frame and short stem so i am not as strecthed out, also i tend to sit further forward and use my quads more...go for a long ride with hills/descents/sprints and see how it feels, play about with your saddle height and adjustment, try some othe peoples bikes...

smithy1.0

by smithy1.0

Thanks guys. I've already got my saddle height spot on, and have the saddle just behind KOPS which I find is the best compromise for me in terms of endurance/power. I may try a 130mm stem at some point, I feel as if I could go a bit more stretched out, but will stick with the 120mm for the moment as it feels mega comfortable. I've also noticed that the bike handles way better with the longer/lower stem. Did a 30mile run yesterday on it and it felt great, so a huge improvement from before :)
Orbea Alma Carbon MTB
GT-R Ultra Carbon Road

Click for my Blog!

the Repeater

by the Repeater

If that's not comfortable for over 3 hours, you could move the bars a little higher.

5mm makes a huge difference to lower back comfort.

Otherwise, that looks like a very solid position for a young fast rider. If not rather low. :)

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

id just be carefull that your looking were you are going! :wink:
tikka
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

harryhood-DHer

by harryhood-DHer

smithy1.0 wrote:Thanks guys. I've already got my saddle height spot on, and have the saddle just behind KOPS which I find is the best compromise for me in terms of endurance/power. I may try a 130mm stem at some point, I feel as if I could go a bit more stretched out, but will stick with the 120mm for the moment as it feels mega comfortable. I've also noticed that the bike handles way better with the longer/lower stem. Did a 30mile run yesterday on it and it felt great, so a huge improvement from before :)

kops does work fairlly well, the question is who helped you set it up? It all comes down 2 your foot angel when they are droping the plumb line. the more you drop your heel or leave your foot level the farther back the plumb bob falls. Most peoples feet are not level in there pedal strock especially when they are at 3 o clock. lokking at you it appears that your seat needs to come back a hair.

Also what percentage of time are you spending in the drops? If you are not spending at least 30% there its prob 2 low.
"The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets."

~Christopher Morley

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

smithy1.0

by smithy1.0

Haha, don't worry, I definately keep an eye where i'm going! My street has a dead end so I didn't need to worry :lol:

As for the KOPS, I had my dad help me set it up... although he doesn't race, he's cycled for years. I think like you say, I could go a bit further back. I'll give it a go and see how it works out! I'm a bit of a "toe down" pedaller.

I spend at least 50% of my time in the drops to be honest, I even climb in the drops on some short power climbs. If i'm putting the hammer down, I tend to stay in them all the time. I do plenty of stretching, so flexibility is good, but will bring it up a touch if I have any back issues!

Thanks for all your views and suggestions 8)
Orbea Alma Carbon MTB
GT-R Ultra Carbon Road

Click for my Blog!