Road Riding in Kiev, Ukraine

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Ok, so it looks like my new job will be taking me several weeks per month to Kiev, Ukraine. I am planning to bring a bike and hope to get in some riding when I can. To the members of the board who may be Ukrainian or live(d) in Kiev, I am hoping you can offer some advice on:
- Tire choice for the roads around the capital
- Local shops
- Training groups
- Safe training routes

I lived for many years in Moscow and used the following set-up then: Slingshot folding road with Campy 9 speed Daytona triple, Mavic Classics Ceramic and an older version of the Specialized All Conditions Pro tire. That set up is a tank that managed to handle anything out there.

Oh, and if the riding around Kiev is really dangerous, please do not hesitate to recommend that I bring a set of running shoes instead...

Spasibo bolshoye.

musgravecycles

by musgravecycles

I was in Kiev for 3 months several years ago. I took my 'a' bike and only rode it once, I simply found it to dangerous on most roads. There is a nice path down by the river you could ride on, and there's a velodrome there as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

_SJ_

by _SJ_

Stolichnaya wrote:Ok, so it looks like my new job will be taking me several weeks per month to Kiev, Ukraine. I am planning to bring a bike and hope to get in some riding when I can. To the members of the board who may be Ukrainian or live(d) in Kiev, I am hoping you can offer some advice on:
- Local shops
- Training groups
- Safe training routes

PM me - I am Ukrainian, live in Kiev and train on the roads 6 days a week.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I got side swiped by a few cars in Moscow. Now that I am older, I prefer not to hit the deck too often. Call me chicken... :(

_SJ_ , expect an email from me and thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sandal

by Sandal

Stolichnaya wrote:To the members of the board who may be Ukrainian or live(d) in Kiev, I am hoping you can offer some advice on:
- Local shops
- Training groups
- Safe training routes

Spasibo bolshoye.

i'm another one too. first advice is to takó rather an MTB if you ride it too ;) so few roads around are good enough for the road. otherwise,
take at least 23mm tyre, not the lightest or most expensive. cuts and punctures are quite possible. roads are quite bad indeed!

for other info you can MP.

BTW, spasibo bolshoye - is russian! heh! :x you should rather learn new phraze like "duzhe dyakuyu" :wink: :lol:

cheers!
weight concerned = good, weight obsessed = bad!