2024 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Karvalo

by Karvalo

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:00 am
Karvalo wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:04 am
Pog shaking in the post stage interviews. If the UCI won't let them throw proper jackets over their team branded kit for the formalities I'm surprised the teams aren't stockpiling some heated gilets or something to go on underneath instead.

Surely not a huge surprise that a 2000m finish at this time of year is *f##k* freezing?
Why would the UCI not allow them to bundle up in the cold? It's more likely that the team forgot it or something else.

The UCI does some dumb things, but I cannot imagine banning the use of warm clothing at the end of a stage is one of them.
UCI reg 1.2.113 "Unless otherwise stated, riders shall appear at official ceremonies wearing competition clothing."

Regardless, if you read my post you will see that I am talking about what the teams failed to do. Heated gilets that would fit under the sponsor correct race jackets are available from €30 on Amazon. Ok, probably a bit more for ones guaranteed not to electrocute you but still, seems like such an easy and obvious thing that they've somehow failed to do.

spokenwords

by spokenwords

he looked like he recovered ok today.
I hate to admit it but there was a moment where Kuss added some ammo to the bike motors in Visma conspiracy. It was when he attacked from the group and caught Landa.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie

I'm convinced there are no motors in the world tour teams currently. The risk to be caught is very high and the team can't put the blame on the pro himself because the bike is provided and serviced by the team itself. That would ruin a team instantly and all sponsors would file lawsuits. Plus the rider gets a 10 year ban.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

tymon_tm wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:03 pm
spokenwords wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:35 am
hope they all can stay healthy after that stage. They went deep and froze.
an extremely strong ride, again, by Pog and what he did to force IPT to pull was old school awesome.
strong showing by Landa too. I assume he came to win overall.
yeah, Landa finally looks the part. good news for Remco ;)
A strong Landa isn't the hard part... the hard part it seems, is getting a strong Landa to work for a team leader. I feel like he's historically been one of the worst team players in the last 10 years.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I bet when you're a permanent 'Spanish hope' for a next GT winner it doesn't help with being a team player. Landa's always underdeliverd and IMHO thay's partially why - expectations towards him were just too unreal.

another big hope Marc Hirshi is said to join Tudor next season. maybe Fabs can make him deliver, because since his win in Fleche in 2020 he's been nowhere near that level again. and by the looks of it he's just not good enough for UAE.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Harsh judgement. Points rankings say Hirschi is second best rider of team UAE. Maybe he didn't win big races last few years, but he won some and got good results in many more.
There's only so much you can do, when those aliens show up everywhere nowadays.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

eins4eins wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:37 pm
Harsh judgement. Points rankings say Hirschi is second best rider of team UAE. Maybe he didn't win big races last few years, but he won some and got good results in many more.
There's only so much you can do, when those aliens show up everywhere nowadays.
Hasn't he also had some big injury problems to contend with that kept him off the bike for quite some time a season or two back? Something to do with a leg length discrepancy causing him back problems, iirc.

Maddie

by Maddie

Sorry, wrong thread... please ignore my post

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

whatever Hirshi's troubles were/are his breakthrough wins did happen nearly 4 years ago. that's a lot of time even for a very young rider to have his career completely shifted. I've nothing against him, i remember enjoying his racing back in 2020 and would love to see him get back on that horse again. but the truth is - this seems a distant past, and even on good form, the pecking order in any team he rides for can be an obstacle too hard to pass over.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

RDY

by RDY

I think motors have been used every season by multiple teams and riders. Nobody's doing it as blatantly in big races now as some of the standout instances re: FC, LA and CF, but the stakes are too high for them not to be looking to take every advantage. Potential sanctions aren't really a deterrent - testing and enforcement is and it's still patchy at best, and almost non-existent in some races. Same shit with doping - they'll continue to take anything they can get as long as there is minimal risk to their livelihood and career.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

RDY wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:46 pm
I think motors have been used every season by multiple teams and riders. Nobody's doing it as blatantly in big races now as some of the standout instances re: FC, LA and CF, but the stakes are too high for them not to be looking to take every advantage. Potential sanctions aren't really a deterrent - testing and enforcement is and it's still patchy at best, and almost non-existent in some races. Same shit with doping - they'll continue to take anything they can get as long as there is minimal risk to their livelihood and career.
Do you think a team manager is going to risk the potential destruction of his team's very existence by equipping bikes with motors?

Teams surely want to win, but the management also want to keep their josb and any manager who organizes such an effort would be blackballed forever. What sponsor would associate their name with a team employing such a disgraced individual involved? Being caught would taint every single rider who ever rode for that team and management.

It's not 2006 anymore, when ex-dopers could still be involved as sponsors look the othe way.

RDY

by RDY

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:06 pm
RDY wrote:
Do you think a team manager is going to risk the potential destruction of his team's very existence by equipping bikes with motors?

Teams surely want to win, but the management also want to keep their josb and any manager who organizes such an effort would be blackballed forever. What sponsor would associate their name with a team employing such a disgraced individual involved? Being caught would taint every single rider who ever rode for that team and management.

It's not 2006 anymore, when ex-dopers could still be involved as sponsors look the othe way.
1) Absolutely.

2) When has that ever happened? The number of blacklisted individuals in the entire history of the sport re: cheating is minute. Almost all those implicated or directly sanctioned make it back in. The UCI and various associated organizations are stuffed with ex-cheats and facilitators, let alone the teams. What sponsors? All of them basically. If they want to sponsor major teams then they don't have an option but to deal with these people. And yes it does, but are they bothered or have they ever been?

3) What are you talking about? Have you even looked at the rosters of management and doctors on various teams? Very few untainted. Nothing has changed at all.

Flasher

by Flasher

RDY wrote:
I think motors have been used every season by multiple teams and riders.
Really?

Where are these motors available, and where are they fitted, as I'd love one that no one can see, so I can kill my mates on the local climbs, and do you have some pictures?

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Flasher wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:34 pm

Where are these motors available, and where are they fitted, as I'd love one that no one can see, so I can kill my mates on the local climbs, and do you have some pictures?
HaHa!!! I need an extra 50 watts to beat a few people up the climbs myself!!
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

Motor doping is fantasy. To get it to perform at the level required, but whilst also not inducing mechanical drive train drag when not in use and whilst also remaining inconspicuous would required a signifiicant effort and proper integration with frame or wheel manufacturers. Furthermore it wouldn't be a one or two man effort, it would take a team of engineers and with that would come an increased chance of leaks.