2024 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Lina

by Lina

basilic wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:52 pm
Lina wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:10 am
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
I think he's pointing out the hubris of a random ww poster telling an elite racer he's "not a good cyclist" because he falls more than average (and the implied idea that he, the random ww poster, is a good cyclist because he falls less often)
It's not hubris to be able to spot that some racers have worse bike handling skills than others. Roglic didn't even start cycling until very late. Those racers are usually the ones with the worst bike handling and pack skills. The other group that often has poor bike handling and pack skills are zwifters. Less common on the pro ranks (one Jay Vine does come to mind tho and he's not exactly an example of good bike handling and pack skills), but they're everywhere in the amateur races. But like it or not bike racing is still done on real bikes instead of Zwift so bike handling and pack riding skills are an integral part of what makes someone a good (racing) cyclist. You also don't need to be able to 7 W/kg to be able to tell if someone has good bike handling skills. People like Roglic, G, Vine, etc. that constantly keep crashing are examples of pros with bad bike handling/pack skills.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

basilic wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:52 pm
Lina wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:10 am
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
I think he's pointing out the hubris of a random ww poster telling an elite racer he's "not a good cyclist" because he falls more than average (and the implied idea that he, the random ww poster, is a good cyclist because he falls less often)
Correct.

Also chalk up a second CdD for Roglič, not bad for such a terrible rider eh!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Lina wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 2:01 pm
It's not hubris to be able to spot that some racers have worse bike handling skills than others.
Of course - but that's not what was said. The statement being argued against was that because of a defecit in those absolute top level skills Roglic is, in totality, not a good cyclist.

This is both incredibly arrogant and evidently absurd. While he has some vulnerabilities and areas that could be better, Roglic's palmares alone is stone cold proof that he is an exceptionally good cyclist.
Last edited by Karvalo on Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

I'm glad to see Adam Yates winning stages and wearing yellow jersey at Tour de Suisse, he's excellent rider and tremendous help for UAE Team Emirates and Pogacar...

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm glad too see Bernal not doing so bad as well
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

maquisard

by maquisard

Yates looks stronger than Roglic or Remco in the mountains, TT perhaps a different story.

The GC in the TdF this year may be the UAE show, the team looks very strong.

I agree the same on Bernal, he has had many tough years and seems like a very nice guy who deserves some luck for a change.

Maddie

by Maddie

maquisard wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:04 pm
Yates looks stronger than Roglic or Remco in the mountains, TT perhaps a different story.
Interesting observation, I was not aware that Roglic and Evenepoel are participating in the TDS.

maquisard

by maquisard

Interesting mis-comprehension

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Maddie wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:31 pm
maquisard wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:04 pm
Interesting observation, I was not aware that Roglic and Evenepoel are participating in the TDS.
Yeah, I think on balance the Tour de Suisse field is much weaker than the Dauphine field this year - probably because the course is so tough, so close to the Tour Depart.

Another, somewhat unfair, way of looking at Yates' performance today was that he only just beat his own lead out guy. Does he look pretty good, sure. Is he pulling up any trees compared to other top line GC contenders, maybe not so much. Who can really tell?

spokenwords

by spokenwords

Yates looks good and deserves the credit but Almeida had the ride of the day. Looks solid for UAE.

Campenaerts going to Visma. Taking over the spot left by Tratnik I assume.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

With all this talk of serious road racing, IMO we've overlooked the real action which has occured in the gravel realm. Nothing in the road scene compares with Ten Dam and Dekker being arrested for spraying "each other with water bottles like two gay cyclists.”
https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/new ... behaviour/

Quite a town, Marietta, Kansas. Good thing neither of them was wearing World Champion kit. They'd probably still be locked up.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ichobi

by ichobi

I was like is that even real when read that news couple days back…

Good to see Bernal doing well. In fact better than Enric Mas and Cian in the TDS. Not so far of Yates either.

If anything this year could be gold for Adam in the Tour, if and when Pogacar blows up or Jonas doesn’t have it. He seems like the most solid rider to win it.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ichobi wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:15 am
If anything this year could be gold for Adam in the Tour, if and when Pogacar blows up or Jonas doesn’t have it. He seems like the most solid rider to win it.

That’s quite the long shot. He’s won a single grand tour stage in his career and is on the wrong side of 30, and it’s not like he’s going to be allowed to sit back. He’s going to be put to work as both a sacrificial decoy and a domestique. Bettors have Matteo Jorgenson ahead of him.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ichobi wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:15 am
Most solid? Pog blew up in the most epic fashion we've ever seen from him last year and still finished three and a half minutes ahead of Yates - and the thing that made him blow up was going toe to toe with Vingegaard every day.

If Vingegaard is there and strong enough to do that to Pog again, then Yates doesn't stand a chance against him. If Vingegaard isn't there or on top form, there's not much reason to think Pog will blow up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jever98

by jever98

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:43 am
Quite a town, Marietta, Kansas. Good thing neither of them was wearing World Champion kit. They'd probably still be locked up.
Lolz - great quote!
----
No longer in the industry