2024 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Zabel mentioned in his latest podcast episode that Israel premiertech will ride the ostro gravel at paris roubaix. No mentioning of reasons. I wonder if they're planning to use really wide tires. Or ist the normal ostro just too stiff?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

eins4eins wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm
Zabel mentioned in his latest podcast episode that Israel premiertech will ride the ostro gravel at paris roubaix. No mentioning of reasons. I wonder if they're planning to use really wide tires. Or ist the normal ostro just too stiff?

The old Ostro barely fit 30mm WAM tires and the new one only officially clears 32mm WAM tires. This year's P-R is most likely going to be muddy.

Even though the Cervelo S5 "clears" 34mm tires, VLaB runs the Soloist at P-R because of real-world tyre clearance concerns.

jever98

by jever98

Just saw the crash at Dwaars door Vlaanderen: I have a hard time understanding that this stretch is considered so dangerous. Where the crash happened the road was wide, surface good, no narrowing in sight. It didn't even look that the peloton was compressing or there was a lot of shoving. It looks more to me like a touch of wheels because of a lack of attention.

What am I missing?
----
No longer in the industry

spokenwords

by spokenwords

There seemed to be a lot of movement on both sides because of some uneven pavement but it was a touch of wheels that caused it.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

maquisard

by maquisard

The crash was apparently caused by Benoot when he got out of the saddle and momentarily decelerated and caused those behind him to touch his rear wheel. An amateur mistake. I once did the same to a bunch of guys in my club...

eins4eins

by eins4eins

jever98 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:38 pm
Just saw the crash at Dwaars door Vlaanderen: I have a hard time understanding that this stretch is considered so dangerous. Where the crash happened the road was wide, surface good, no narrowing in sight. It didn't even look that the peloton was compressing or there was a lot of shoving. It looks more to me like a touch of wheels because of a lack of attention.

What am I missing?
there was a narrowing coming up. They were fighting for position into the Kanarieberg, which is single lane climb immediately after a right hand corner.

its a very dangerous section as they're coming down this wide road with high speed. Thats why it was removed this year from the route for sunday. In hindsight, they should have made the same decision for DDV

jever98

by jever98

@eins4eins: I get the *theoretical* argument, but look at the video: https://youtu.be/x4QE1G_VXxw?feature=shared&t=65

The group is quite wide. There isn't much moving up. The narrowing isn't anywhere in sight yet. It looks to me like an "average" crash where someone didn't pay attention.
----
No longer in the industry

Karvalo

by Karvalo

jever98 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:54 pm
@eins4eins: I get the *theoretical* argument, but look at the video: https://youtu.be/x4QE1G_VXxw?feature=shared&t=65

The group is quite wide. There isn't much moving up. The narrowing isn't anywhere in sight yet. It looks to me like an "average" crash where someone didn't pay attention.
Look how hard they're going though. There isn't much moving up because they're all absolutely on the rivet, and the group is quite wide because they're all trying to get just far enough ahead of the person next to them that they can squeeze over onto the point of the arrowhead.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

eins4eins wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 pm
jever98 wrote:

What am I missing?
there was a narrowing coming up. They were fighting for position into the Kanarieberg, which is single lane climb immediately after a right hand corner.

its a very dangerous section as they're coming down this wide road with high speed. Thats why it was removed this year from the route for sunday. In hindsight, they should have made the same decision for DDV
If it's so dangerous, why didn't they slow down?

Miller

by Miller

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:31 pm
I'm not going to slow down. You slow down.

liam7020

by liam7020

jever98 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:53 pm
Does anybody else feel like Mads Pedersen doesn't get the respect and rating he deserves? He rarely gets mentioned as a top contender, but delivers a lot and at a super high level. I feel he should be mentioned more often in the same breath as Wout and Mathieu.
Great bike rider....pity he comes across as an arrogant tosser.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

zirxo

by zirxo

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:31 pm
eins4eins wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 pm
jever98 wrote:

What am I missing?

I've seen amateurs sprint towards oncoming traffic to gain positions in the bunch, why would pros slow down before a narrowing of the road when going faster means getting into the narrowing in a better position?

LouisN

by LouisN

There was a bad section right in the middle of the road (1/3 right) where one part of the road went upwards and the tarmac was uneven, up to 10-15 cm I would say. At full speed the peloton passed through that section, guys who went on that portion probably slid, or if they were at the bottom (left side) had their wheels caught there, just like if they were clipped.
Stupid by the organizers to not have that section taken care of !!!
On the women side: will we see a transfer soon at SDWorks ?...
Louis :)

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

liam7020 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 pm
jever98 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:53 pm
Does anybody else feel like Mads Pedersen doesn't get the respect and rating he deserves? He rarely gets mentioned as a top contender, but delivers a lot and at a super high level. I feel he should be mentioned more often in the same breath as Wout and Mathieu.
Great bike rider....pity he comes across as an arrogant tosser.
if youre refering to his pre race interviews comprised of half-assed questions delivered in something resembling english language, then i gotta say if I were asked the same, over and over again, i'd get a.lot meaner.

i find it really appaling Eurosport cant send someone fluent in the language they intend to interview riders in. this dude in question is apparently French, and while my knowledge of this language is very basic at.best, it seemed to me Alaphilippe was asked more inteligent questions than "so what you gonna do today", "how do you like this race" etc.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

At first I thought maybe the abrupt transition to the bike path/lane might have had something to do with the crash, but it looks like everyone used it as an escape route rather than it being the cause.