Trying to support the LBS but...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Llanberis

by Llanberis

A couple of years ago, I had a similar encounter that mirroed Mr. Gib's experience when I first started cycling and bought my first complete road bike. The ordeal began with spongy brake levers on the collection date. When I returned for the second time, my bike was handed over without bar tapes wrapped, and the brake issue remained unaddressed. Puzzled, I asked the shop staff, "Doesn't this bike come with bar tapes?" Their confusion was palpable as they exchanged uncertain glances, eventually resorting to calling a mechanic from the back who rushed a loose wrapping job right in front of me. (This was a famous LBS chain.)

That disappointing encounter marked the end of my first - also the last - reliance on LBS for bike building. I invested in my own tools, which are probably worth as much as my bike itself, spent time doing researches, and frequently sought advice from manufacturers and forum members (huge shoutout to WW). My preference shifted to purchasing framesets and parts from whoever offered the most competitive prices.

This home mechanic thing opens up a whole new world to me. Suddenly, I have the freedom and independence to potentially perform operations for most of my cycling needs on the stands in my tiny workshop. I discovered working on bikes is as enjoyable as the act of riding itself, echoing sentiments expressed by @robertbb. That said, I know there are real dilligent people out there (and way more qualified than I am) like Rhino’s Workshop in London, and that's where I would go to if I really couldn't afford time to do it myself / need to entrust someone for the job.

I have also since worked on friends' bikes, mostly rebuilding them from shop complete bikes. The experiences have been eye-opening, revealing unfathomable oversights such as bolts (for multiple parts) were installed dry, or stem bolts cross-threaded. It became clear to me that the only person that will properly apply loctite / different kind of greases (such as Morgan Blue Aquaproof Paste v.s. Competition Campa) and appropriate torque settings to parts where applicable, and carefully work through time-consuming tasks like cable routing, will always be you, and only you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

Llanberis wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:08 am
A couple of years ago, I had a similar encounter that mirroed Mr. Gib's experience when I first started cycling and bought my first complete road bike. The ordeal began with spongy brake levers on the collection date. When I returned for the second time, my bike was handed over without bar tapes wrapped, and the brake issue remained unaddressed. Puzzled, I asked the shop staff, "Doesn't this bike come with bar tapes?" Their confusion was palpable as they exchanged uncertain glances, eventually resorting to calling a mechanic from the back who rushed a loose wrapping job right in front of me. (This was a famous LBS chain.)

That disappointing encounter marked the end of my first - also the last - reliance on LBS for bike building. I invested in my own tools, which are probably worth as much as my bike itself, spent time doing researches, and frequently sought advice from manufacturers and forum members (huge shoutout to WW). My preference shifted to purchasing framesets and parts from whoever offered the most competitive prices.

This home mechanic thing opens up a whole new world to me. Suddenly, I have the freedom and independence to potentially perform operations for most of my cycling needs on the stands in my tiny workshop. I discovered working on bikes is as enjoyable as the act of riding itself, echoing sentiments expressed by @robertbb. That said, I know there are real dilligent people out there (and way more qualified than I am) like Rhino’s Workshop in London, and that's where I would go to if I really couldn't afford time to do it myself / need to entrust someone for the job.

I have also since worked on friends' bikes, mostly rebuilding them from shop complete bikes. The experiences have been eye-opening, revealing unfathomable oversights such as bolts (for multiple parts) were installed dry, or stem bolts cross-threaded. It became clear to me that the only person that will properly apply loctite / different kind of greases (such as Morgan Blue Aquaproof Paste v.s. Competition Campa) and appropriate torque settings to parts where applicable, and carefully work through time-consuming tasks like cable routing, will always be you, and only you.
Sorry your experience was so bad. That shop shouldn't be in business if that's the work they put out the door or services they offer.

The brake thing alone is a safety issue and should never have left the shop like that. I always fix or have to bleed a new bike build, manly because the hoses are so long they look horrible, bikes are always built in highest position that way cables will only ever need shorting. That shorting if done after a fitting is no charge. Same with shift cables unfortunately they're going away slowly for electronic.

I was one of the first shops in NA to stock and sell Morgan Blue products so yes I know the difference between acqua paste and campagnolo grease, have both at my bench.
The cheapest grease I use Phil Wood. I also use a torque wrench on everything, I'm constantly looking up torque settings from different manufacturers.

As for cable routing there used to be a hash tag on how well you would route you cables, I forget it , use to be fun to strive for perfection. Probably because of my machinist background.

Just saying there's people out there that care.

My motto is you have limited time to ride, you've spent thousands of dollars, spent years training for your event. I want you to never ever have to think about your bike or a mechanical . If that happens I've failed my job.

So try and find that LBS and support it, meet with owner or manager discuss what issues, things they could do to improve, if it's not taken to heart move on. We're a endangered species, after 20 plus years, I'm thinking of something else even though I love my job.

fa63

by fa63

Unfortunately, many bike shop employees don't get paid enough to care enough. It is sad but true. Finding good mechanics is particularly challenging.

I have been working at a shop for the last ~4 years. I don't do it for the money though; I was lucky enough to retire early and I have always really enjoyed working on my own bikes so I asked my favorite LBS if they needed help and they said yes. I worked for free for about a year; now I get paid but it is peanuts. For me it is more about the relationships and getting to work on bikes (the employee discount helps too), and I don't have to worry about whether I am going to be able to pay my mortgage etc.

I have also accidentally pinched a Di2 wire before so shit happens :-) As has been mentioned, while fixing bikes properly the first time around is very important, it is also as important how you take care of any mistakes. I think this is where being a jaded bike mechanic can really hurt the shop if they don't have the right attitude.

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

Just following up Mr.Gib. What was your outcome with your LBS ? I just built up a factor for a client

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:22 pm
MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:07 am
... I'm assuming they will replace the wire?

Will you give the shop feedback etc?
Good questions. Not sure what the best move is. If the wire get's replaced, I'll be the one doing it. But that means pretty much a full rebuild - front brake disconnect, crank/bottom bracket removal, handlebar work, and then then all back together, brake bleed, etc. Ah, the joys of full integration. :(
If it was me, I would get some silicone sealant over that abrasion area to try to cover and seal it from the elements and provide protection from further abrasion and leave it be. Just be sure to let the silicone cure before assembling it all back together.

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

What's funny was yesterday, did just that with a bottom bracket install. Checked it twice, threaded bb in with hand nice and smooth. Grabbed new crank and slide in the spindle and there was resistance. Looked into bb and what do you know pinched the di2 cable. I kinda laughed after this and thought about this post. Swapped out the cable and finished the job. It happens to us all.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

fa63 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:42 am
Unfortunately, many bike shop employees don't get paid enough to care enough. It is sad but true. Finding good mechanics is particularly challenging.

I have been working at a shop for the last ~4 years. I don't do it for the money though; I was lucky enough to retire early and I have always really enjoyed working on my own bikes so I asked my favorite LBS if they needed help and they said yes. I worked for free for about a year; now I get paid but it is peanuts. For me it is more about the relationships and getting to work on bikes (the employee discount helps too), and I don't have to worry about whether I am going to be able to pay my mortgage etc.

I have also accidentally pinched a Di2 wire before so shit happens :-) As has been mentioned, while fixing bikes properly the first time around is very important, it is also as important how you take care of any mistakes. I think this is where being a jaded bike mechanic can really hurt the shop if they don't have the right attitude.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

fa63 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:42 am

I consider myself an excellent mechanic and I too have pinched Di2 wires, especially when it first came out... Must be 15 years ago nearly? wow, time flies.