Selling a Bike Internationally

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Didn't see any thread about this. I also figured it could help people in the future regarding selling and shipping a bike.

I am talking with a guy about buying my bike. I live in the US, he lives in Italy. BikeFlights quoted me around $500 if I say the bike is shipping for an event. But if I put gift/sale, it jumps to over $4000 with import fees and taxes. Is that normal? Are there any cheaper option to sell and ship the bike internationally? Did I select something wrong?

This forum is pretty international so I figured you guys might have some tips or tricks.

Omiar

by Omiar

If I buy something from outside EU, then I have to pay customs duty and VAT.

Quote from the TAX office (think as IRS in US) website:
A customs duty is a state tax imposed by EU law that a person or company must pay on goods imported into the European Union (import duties) from third countries (non-EU countries).
Import of goods may be subject to excise duty and VAT in addition to customs duties.
(Excise duties are indirect taxes on the sale or use of specific products, such as alcohol, tobacco and energy.)

So in case of a bicycle or frame, it is customs duty + VAT.
Im guessing 'for an event' means they expect the product will return to the sender (to you), so no taxes in the price.
Gift/sale is taxed price.

Seems to me that the taxes are part of BikeFlights service.
If you just go to any courier company like DHL, TNT, DPD then you just pay for them the shipping fee and the taxes will be the buyers responsebility.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Upcountry

by Upcountry

The risk just isn't worth it to me. I've had some people offer to purchase bikes from me(US) in the past, and even getting them to Canada has been a hassle.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Upcountry wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:42 am
The risk just isn't worth it to me. I've had some people offer to purchase bikes from me(US) in the past, and even getting them to Canada has been a hassle.
Yea, I'm with you. It's going to be too much of a hassle.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

BikeTyson wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:25 pm
Didn't see any thread about this. I also figured it could help people in the future regarding selling and shipping a bike.

I am talking with a guy about buying my bike. I live in the US, he lives in Italy. BikeFlights quoted me around $500 if I say the bike is shipping for an event. But if I put gift/sale, it jumps to over $4000 with import fees and taxes. Is that normal? Are there any cheaper option to sell and ship the bike internationally? Did I select something wrong?

This forum is pretty international so I figured you guys might have some tips or tricks.
I had severe issues with Ebay regarding this. I was to sell full Etap red with lots of cassettes and other stuff. Shipping i got was faulty and when i got the correct shipping prices it was totally crazy.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

micky

by micky

I have shipped a fair number of bikes internationally, and plenty to US.
I had even a case where the purchaser wanted to ship it back after realising what model of bike it was (yes he didnt check what Colnago Bititan meant...).
Anyway long story short, use USPS, make him a favours as Im based in Italy, and declare a low value on the bike, like 500usd o so.
Explain lenghty to him, that all taxes et all are on him.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com