GCN+ to close

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Giro is the big loss with the death of GCN+. And pretty sure Flo doesn't have it - at least at present. Anyone know if any service will carry the Giro for viewing in Canada/US?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EdWiser

by EdWiser

bikeboy1tr wrote:Has anyone tried the VPN on Flo to open up access to more racing? I was looking at their schedule and I didnt see any Giro coverage.
Yes it does you can watch the tour down under that way

ms6073

by ms6073

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:04 am
Here is what the Flo home page looked like when I clicked to watch the replay of Zolder yesterday on my laptop.
I note that for that screenshot, you are not actually logged into the website so have to wonder if being logged in makes any difference. I don't see that as we cast the races from the mobile app on my phone to our Smart TV, so I rarely visit the website. Below is what I see when logged into Flobikes.com

Last edited by ms6073 on Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Still haven't rec'd my refund from GCN.

Anyone rec'd theirs ?

ms6073

by ms6073

MichaelB wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:28 am
Still haven't rec'd my refund from GCN.

Anyone rec'd theirs ?
Yes, a few days before the app shutdown but it was only a few dollars as my subscription was due to renew the following week!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:21 am

I note that for that screenshot, you are not actually logged into the website so have to wonder if being logged in makes any difference. I don't see that as we cast the races from the mobile app on my phone to our Smart TV, so I rarely visit the website. Below is what I see when logged into Flobikes.com

My only real beef is the spoilers. And even with the page you show, if you had been logging in to watch a replay of Benidorm, the title "Wout Van Aert Conquers" would qualify a one big f***ing spoiler. Even the full replay thumbnail of Wout in front of MVP is a serious spoiler. It absolutely kills the suspense over if and how MVP will work his way back to the front from 21st place at the start, 'cause there's a f***ing photo of him having done it!

Just sayin' it doesn't have to be that way.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I came to an agreement with a friend in Europe. He signed me up for Eurosport, which required a credit card based in his country, and sent me the login details - I re-imbursed him. I access the Eurosport coverage via a VPN, with the side benefit that I also have their coverage of other sports I'm interested in, such as biathlon and snooker.

I can either use the Eurosport app on my phone, casting it to my TV with split tunneling enabled in the VPN app, or I use my notebook with VPN and the Eurosport website, taking the HDMI output from the notebook to the TV.

NotYou

by NotYou

While I'm aware that the following has very limited applicability, maybe this makes the current year more bearable for some:

The streaming platform Joyn currently has an offer running for their premium package called Plus, where you get 7 days of immediately cancellable trial period plus a code for a full year of Discovery+

https://plus.joyn.de/

If nothing else, if you can get it, you at least get a full year of free race coverage

EdWiser

by EdWiser

NotYou wrote:While I'm aware that the following has very limited applicability, maybe this makes the current year more bearable for some:

The streaming platform Joyn currently has an offer running for their premium package called Plus, where you get 7 days of immediately cancellable trial period plus a code for a full year of Discovery+

https://plus.joyn.de/

If nothing else, if you can get it, you at least get a full year of free race coverage
But can someone from the US do it. I doubt it

Bravo73

by Bravo73

EdWiser wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:10 pm
But can someone from the US do it. I doubt it
Probably not, unfortunately.

I’ve just tried from the UK and even with a VPN, the Discovery+ registration insists on a payment method from Germany.

I’ve now got a joyn+ account that I need to cancel. 😂

PS Great find btw, NotYou.
2011 S-Works Tarmac SL3 (ex-Team Highroad)
2023 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Does anyone one have info of exactly what races will be shown on Discovery+. I was on the website and couldn't find a schedule. I'd like to know the content before I give them money.

Bravo73

by Bravo73

NotYou wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:26 pm
Maybe not, unfortunately.

Here is some of the 'small print' from the Discovery+ sign up page:

"Prerequisite for the purchase of the 12-month, free Test Discovery+ subscription is the existence of a paid Joyn+ subscription.

Upon termination of the paid Joyn+ subscription, the free trial period of the discovery+ subscription also ends regardless of the remaining period originally intended for the free subscription of the discovery+ subscription."
2011 S-Works Tarmac SL3 (ex-Team Highroad)
2023 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:33 pm
Does anyone one have info of exactly what races will be shown on Discovery+. I was on the website and couldn't find a schedule. I'd like to know the content before I give them money.
Not exactly, but it's almost everything and definitely everything important.

The race content that GCN+ had was the same as all the Eurosport race coverage, which is the same as all the Discovery+ race coverage. It's all the same feed.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Mr.Gib wrote:
This article reports where to watch the major races

https://pezcyclingnews.com/racing/what- ... s-in-2024/
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

patchandscruff

by patchandscruff

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:21 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Not exactly, but it's almost everything and definitely everything important.

The race content that GCN+ had was the same as all the Eurosport race coverage, which is the same as all the Discovery+ race coverage. It's all the same feed.
And pretty much all the same commentators. Dan Lloyd has yet to show up though.