GCN+ to close

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bobones

by bobones

Just had the following email. What a blow.
Dear GCN+ Subscriber,

We are sending you this email as a valued subscriber of GCN+. We are very sorry to have to inform you that the GCN+ service and the GCN app will close on 19 December 2023.

What does this mean for you?
• Access: Your subscription contract will end and you will be unable to access the GCN+ service and GCN app from 19 December 2023. Following closure, you can still use your GCN account on the GCN website at globalcyclingnetwork.com and the GCN Shop at shop.globalcyclingnetwork.com.
• Upcoming payments: The GCN+ service will close on 19 December 2023 and you will be charged for any upcoming subscription payments up to that time. If you do not want to be charged for any upcoming payments, you can cancel your subscription prior to your next renewal date, however your access to the service will then end on that renewal date.
• Refunds: If you have a subscription to the GCN+ service which is still running on 19 December 2023, we will arrange for a refund of any amounts that you have paid in advance for access to the service after that date. Please make sure you have a valid and up-to-date payment method. Refunds will be paid automatically, but in some instances may take some time to process for technical reasons.
• Data: Following closure, your personal data will continue to be handled in accordance with our Privacy Policy.
We encourage you to contact our customer service team here to answer any additional questions about GCN+ and your subscription.

Thank you for subscribing to GCN+, we are very grateful for your support and for joining us on this journey.

Sincerely,
The GCN Team

Jaisen

by Jaisen

bobones wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:44 pm
Just had the following email. What a blow.
Dear GCN+ Subscriber,

We are sending you this email as a valued subscriber of GCN+. We are very sorry to have to inform you that the GCN+ service and the GCN app will close on 19 December 2023.

What does this mean for you?
• Access: Your subscription contract will end and you will be unable to access the GCN+ service and GCN app from 19 December 2023. Following closure, you can still use your GCN account on the GCN website at globalcyclingnetwork.com and the GCN Shop at shop.globalcyclingnetwork.com.
• Upcoming payments: The GCN+ service will close on 19 December 2023 and you will be charged for any upcoming subscription payments up to that time. If you do not want to be charged for any upcoming payments, you can cancel your subscription prior to your next renewal date, however your access to the service will then end on that renewal date.
• Refunds: If you have a subscription to the GCN+ service which is still running on 19 December 2023, we will arrange for a refund of any amounts that you have paid in advance for access to the service after that date. Please make sure you have a valid and up-to-date payment method. Refunds will be paid automatically, but in some instances may take some time to process for technical reasons.
• Data: Following closure, your personal data will continue to be handled in accordance with our Privacy Policy.
We encourage you to contact our customer service team here to answer any additional questions about GCN+ and your subscription.

Thank you for subscribing to GCN+, we are very grateful for your support and for joining us on this journey.

Sincerely,
The GCN Team
So sad. Finally there was a cheap and easy way to watch all the races using a VPN. Hopefully something similar to GCN+ will emerge.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

That's absolutely horrible for fans. GCN+ was easily the best streaming service for cycling. At least in the US. With a VPN I could watch every race with better commentary than what is offered here. FLO Bikes is an absolute shit show and has the worst commentators on the planet. And NBC's coverage of the Tour is average at best. This blows. Guess it's back to the high seas (aka TIZ) for viewing.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

If you're using a VPN anyway is there a reason why you can't use Eurosport / Discovery Plus? As far as races go GCN+ was just another place to stream the pre-existing Eurosport coverage.

The thing that set GCN+ apart was their original content, documentaries, interviews etc. some roof that stuff was getting very good.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:08 pm
If you're using a VPN anyway is there a reason why you can't use Eurosport / Discovery Plus? As far as races go GCN+ was just another place to stream the pre-existing Eurosport coverage.

The thing that set GCN+ apart was their original content, documentaries, interviews etc. some roof that stuff was getting very good.
You need a Euro debit/credit card to sign up for Eurosport/Discovery +.

EdWiser

by EdWiser

This is bad back to tiz don’t see how this can be good for any cycling fan or cycling itself.

https://tiz-cycling-live.io/livestream.php

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Jaisen wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:44 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:08 pm

You need a Euro debit/credit card to sign up for Eurosport/Discovery +.
This really sucks when you live in North America or Australia and I was really hoping I could use my VPN for Eurosport. This was the only streaming service I had. Guess I will be watching less tv and riding my bike more. In this country if your not into hockey,baseball,and football there is SFA on. We lost Moto GP, Supercross and outdoor MX in the last few years. So it goes, I knew GCN + was Too Good To Be True.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Jaisen

by Jaisen

EdWiser wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:02 pm
This is bad back to tiz don’t see how this can be good for any cycling fan or cycling itself.

https://tiz-cycling-live.io/livestream.php
As great as Tiz is/was for me, it was a constant pain of refreshing and blocking pop up ads. The quality wasn't GCN+ either, but it sure beats Flobikes. So I guess it is back to Tiz until I can figure something else out.

AJS914

by AJS914

The Tiz ads weren't too bad with a pop-up blocker but the low quality, constant refreshing, or having to resort to 480p wasn't definitely a PITA.

I never understood how the ASO could block the Tiz feed. Didn't they scrape it off the Europsport app or something?

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I'm in Oz, and was massively disappointed with the info.

Loved watching the smaller races, especially the Italian ones.

Hoping the local FTA channel (SBS) can step up a bit, but wont be bothering with the Discovery+ option.

Bravo73

by Bravo73

This vid explains some of the reasoning behind this decision:

2011 S-Works Tarmac SL3 (ex-Team Highroad)
2023 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX

Bravo73

by Bravo73

And here:

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/ge ... p-to-close

(It’s shit, either which way you look at it).
2011 S-Works Tarmac SL3 (ex-Team Highroad)
2023 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX

Aeo

by Aeo

Discovery+ started enforcing DRM protection of their content earlier this year. I don't think it was mandatory on GCN+ (This influences the negotiations and contracts with rights holders)

Supporting two apps with the same content never made much sense

Maybe you can circumvent the credit card region lock by subscribing to Discovery+ via the App Store or Play Store.

Create a supposedly European Apple ID, add funds via European gift card and go from there (have not tested if this works)
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

This is devastating news for fans in North America. All those great cross races, Giro and semi-classics coverage from the start gun, etc. And no commercials during descents. Flo (I have a subscription with them also) is a joke . The thumbnails for many of their race videos is a picture of the winner with their arms in the air. They are that stupid.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

EdWiser

by EdWiser

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com