Cycling on Gran Canaria

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jayjay

by jayjay

Hey,
I might end up in Gran Canaria early next year for the first time.
Where should I stay if I want to ride the best routes?
What are the highlights on this island?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I've done 5 trips in 2 years post covid lockdown, always staying in Playa del Ingles.
Maspolmas/ Playa are pretty much the same place, it deosnt take long to ride through it all.
Depends what you want for nightlife, down towards the campo international is probably quiestest. The "irish" area or by the yumbo possibly the busiest.
You could also stay in Puerto Rico, or Puerto Mogan, but it would close down some of your riding options.

Bear in mind, you cannot ride around the coast due to a landslide, and the police are rather keen to stop you (or if you decide to bypass it and use the GC1 sliproad. Bus or ferry from Puerto Rico to Puero Mogan are the options, if you done have transport. Ferry is 7.5 euros one way.

Early in the year it can be very windy higher up (and occasionally closed for snow).
Plenty of good cafes dotted around, and often stalls by the side of the road selling drinks fruit etc.
Riding isnt easy, which is why you dont see many pro's there. Basically its up to the centre of the island, but some good opportunties for descending.

Main rides to do are the Serenity Pass, from Mogan upto the Priesa, and eventually onto to Ayacata, then descend back to Playa via Fataga etc, or sneak over the hill and into Soria and back down to the coast road at Arguineguin.

The VOTT is another biggie but its a once youve started you're committed to it type ride. TBH its a real bast4rd, but its worth it.

Up over the Picos and Roque Nubio is worth it for the views and some fab roads (there's also some not so good parts too). Currently clearing up a bit from the recent fires all the islands suffered from.

For simpler rides, Fataga and upto San Bartoleme, or El Doctoral and upto San Bartoleme are good rides, the latter imo is like a mini grand canyon.
Up and down Soria, or climb to Soria, and then nip over the "illegal" road to the top of Serenity, and then descend to PM.

Another thing to remeber is the prevailing wind direction; its normally from the airport towards the resorts, which also happens to be downhill, so try not to do it every day in the opposite direction!

Theres quite a few hire shops dotted around, the main one being freemotion, who rent out dale's, BH and Spesh, but ive taken my Ti all dayer the last few times.

Fire away if you have any more questions.
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

diecast

by diecast

jekyll man wrote:I've done 5 trips in 2 years post covid lockdown, always staying in Playa del Ingles.
Maspolmas/ Playa are pretty much the same place, it deosnt take long to ride through it all.
Depends what you want for nightlife, down towards the campo international is probably quiestest. The "irish" area or by the yumbo possibly the busiest.
You could also stay in Puerto Rico, or Puerto Mogan, but it would close down some of your riding options.

Bear in mind, you cannot ride around the coast due to a landslide, and the police are rather keen to stop you (or if you decide to bypass it and use the GC1 sliproad. Bus or ferry from Puerto Rico to Puero Mogan are the options, if you done have transport. Ferry is 7.5 euros one way.

Early in the year it can be very windy higher up (and occasionally closed for snow).
Plenty of good cafes dotted around, and often stalls by the side of the road selling drinks fruit etc.
Riding isnt easy, which is why you dont see many pro's there. Basically its up to the centre of the island, but some good opportunties for descending.

Main rides to do are the Serenity Pass, from Mogan upto the Priesa, and eventually onto to Ayacata, then descend back to Playa via Fataga etc, or sneak over the hill and into Soria and back down to the coast road at Arguineguin.

The VOTT is another biggie but its a once youve started you're committed to it type ride. TBH its a real bast4rd, but its worth it.

Up over the Picos and Roque Nubio is worth it for the views and some fab roads (there's also some not so good parts too). Currently clearing up a bit from the recent fires all the islands suffered from.

For simpler rides, Fataga and upto San Bartoleme, or El Doctoral and upto San Bartoleme are good rides, the latter imo is like a mini grand canyon.
Up and down Soria, or climb to Soria, and then nip over the "illegal" road to the top of Serenity, and then descend to PM.

Another thing to remeber is the prevailing wind direction; its normally from the airport towards the resorts, which also happens to be downhill, so try not to do it every day in the opposite direction!

Theres quite a few hire shops dotted around, the main one being freemotion, who rent out dale's, BH and Spesh, but ive taken my Ti all dayer the last few times.

Fire away if you have any more questions.
Thanks for all the above. I'm also thinking of going, but in January. I'm assuming that's when you refer to it being windy etc. presumably it's still much better than northern Europe at the same time?

How would Arguineguin be as a base both for rides and amenities? I'm looking for a quiet area.

Also, could you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by "sneak over the hill and into Soria" and "nip over the "illegal" road to the top of Serenity"?

Thanks

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Oh definitely better than Northern Europe, for sure!!! Its fine lower down but once you head up towards Ayacata, and the Pico's it did get cold enough for a shell to go on, but that was all. Don't count on it being as warm as on the coast.

I know i few people that have stayed in Arguineguin; other than riding through it, i couldnt tell you much about it, theres some small resorts across that stretch of the GC500 before you reach Puerto Rico. Its only a handful of minutes ride to the Soria turn off, and 30ish to PDI, so not too bad if you want to head towards the eastern roads (Fataga GC60, or Aiguimes / Ingenio).

The illegal road between Soria and Serenity, has no cycling signs at either end, no idea why, but apart from the odd car or motorbike, traffic is mostly bikes :roll:
Its a bit rough in places, but its not fast in either direction, unlike the 2 beauts on either end.

I'd post a map pic but cant find the attachment button, but if you look near to Soria, theres a place called Barranquillo Andres. By the shop theres a road that goes meanders up and over the hill to join the GC605. You can either climb up beyong that past the Priesa's to Ayacata, or head down Serenity to Puerto Mogan. Or do it in reverse, climb from Mogan and either go all the way, or over to Soria, and down.
HTH

BruceCarnevale

by BruceCarnevale

I have been going to GC regularly, around three times a year, for about ten years - I have the fortune of having a GF with an apartment in Patalavaca, where I have stashed everything I need, bike, clothing, tools, etc. I can wholeheartedly agree with what Jekyll Man wrote, but he left out one small climb out of Maspalomas - it travels into the island via GC 504 or 503 to Ayagaures. A short loop of about 30 km. There are two other climbs nearby, to Palmitos Park and the GC604, but both are dead ends.

When I first read this thread you hadn't yet suggested Arguineguin, and I wanted to suggest exaclty that. It still seems slightly Spanish, with lots of fishers coming and going, colorful older buildings. There is a small Free Motion shop at the roundabout nearest Patalavaca. And you are very close to the Soria climb. Btw, I never knew the road connecting Soria with Serenity was "illegal." I have ridden it many times. Mostly you encounter cyclists or safari Jeeps. The road surface leaves a LOT to be desired, however. A lot.

Some suggestions.
1. You have to do Valley of the Tears (GC606)! A bucket-list climb if there ever was one. You could take a taxi to Puerto de Mogan, start there and get back to Arguineguin in about 120 km with about 3000 m elevation gain. The problem with this part of the island is that there is very little water along the way. You need to fill up in Aldea before you head up the GC210. Unless you go on a weekend - there is a cafe in the tiny mountain village of El Carrizal that has bad coffee, ice cream and water. But if you stop to fill up you'll ruin your Strava segment! What is also worth doing is the alternate VOTT, where you stay on GC210 and ride up to Artenara. A longer climb, not as steep and absolutely no water until Artenara, but breath-taking views.

What's great about the south of GC is the weather - it almost never rains (but when it does, it's a torrential downpour). What is really unfortunate is the lack of variety. There are only a few climbs, most meeting in Ayacata. There are virtually no paved roads connecting the valleys - if you can get your hands on a gravel bike, you have much more to ride, but I have heard the gravel there is pretty rough.

The avalanche on GC500 between Taurito and Puerto de Mogan really sucks because it was such a nice ride, easy to get to the Serenity climb (GC605). And the only people disturbed by the avalance are the cyclists; motorized vehicles can take the highway. Once I rode on the slip road Jeckyll mentions - didn't see any police, but that could have changed. I can describe how to do it if you want - it isn't that complicated and not long, but could cost you up to €200 if the police catch you.

2. Where most don't ride is in the north, which is a shame but understandable, because it means very long rides (150+ km) from the south. But there is a denser network of roads in the north, it is cooler, greener (and rainier). Still it's beautiful and worth a ride. If you catch a day when the winds from the airport are not blowing southwest, but northeast, you can easily get up the capital and ride back through Vega de San Mateo and Vallsequillo. Or through Arucas or Firgas.

3. There is a small shop in Playa de Ingles, Bike10Mil with a owner, Izz Ramadan, who will take you on rides up north or even around the island. I did the later with him - was 190 km and we rode for a while on the highway in the north, which is legal. Once is cool, but I would ride a little farther inland the next time I circle the island.

If you want any GPX files or have questions, feel free to contact me as well.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

@ BruceCarnevale,
Yeah most people do Ayaguares, and its nice enough but a bit short on its own, but with a bit of a ride out from Arguineguin its a bit more like it.
I tend to ride it either tagged onto other rides, or as a "recovery" ride (GC stylee of course), or do it from waterworld, over the top to the junction of the El Tablero back road, turn around, and climb back through La Data. Definitely earn your refreshmebts then!

I rode the Artenara version of the VOTT a few years ago, its certainly not an easy option; the heat baking off the rocks must have been about 40c, and i ended in a very deep dark place!! I think i hit the petrol station at Artenara, and went through 3L of fluids, then not far off repeated it when i hit San Bartoleme!! Not a fun day to be solo up there.

GC604 is actually an ace ride, people said you need an mtb; i rode on a tarmac sl6, but dont tell freemotion), and its sort of unsigned in El Tablero, but once on it, the road surface is amazing as it twists here there and everywhere. I didn't see a single car until i hit the start of the off road section, and they were going off walking. Its not particularly rough, but if you dont like unfenced drops you might not like it so much. As you go around the valley side na dinto the pine forests, the air takes on a completely different feeling, then it gets a bit sandy and rooty for a short section but all rideable, as it then hits the tarmac again up by the lakes. From there its only a short hop up to Ayacata. Well worth it esp if you have some fairly hard wearing tyres. I wont post pics, but there's some on my insta account philg0770

MrB123

by MrB123

We were there in February.

The Freemotion website is a good place to start for route ideas.

Definitely take some extra clothes if you plan to go higher up - when I did the Pico there was snow on the ground at the top despite it being warm and sunny at the coast. Also gets fairly chilly on an evening - other people at our hotel had packed down jackets for sitting around at night.

As others have said, Ayagaures/Palmitos area good for shorter rides.

Road surfaces are usually good but there are some rougher places, eg after Soria and descending from Ayacata.

Loads of cyclists around. Bahrain Merida team were training there when we were there.

diecast

by diecast

Thanks all!

BruceCarnevale

by BruceCarnevale

Yes, the weather on GC can be quite different on a particular day depending on where you are. Along the southern coast, you can pretty much ride all year in short sleeves, but once you rise above 1000 m, it can get cold, especially when it rains. Once, coming down from Santa Lucia (not too far from the southern coast) I got caught in a torrential downpour, so bad that I could hardly see in front of me, but on the coast, it was sunny and dry. Another time, near Pico, the highest point on GC, I had everything on I had, knee and leg warmers, rain jacket, but the temps dropped below 10 degrees and I turned back. Again, it was warm and sunny on the coast.

@Jeckyl Man. I rode up to the end of the asphalt on GC604 and the gravel looked quite rough. I'll try it again.

clarkywils

by clarkywils

If you want to ride the best routes, you should stay in the south of the island. You can stay in Maspalomas, Meloneras, Playa del Ingles

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com