CamelBak Podium titanium & stainless steel bottles

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jayjay

by jayjay

Hi,
does anybody know when the mentioned bottles will be released?

They have already been tested by EscapeCollective :)
https://escapecollective.com/the-best-i ... er-bottle/

Would like to get the titanium bottles for the next winter.

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

Unknown captain.

But honestly? The review seems to be a little biased.

Why do I say that?
Because why has Mr James Huang been given a special cutaway cross sectional display to photograph? Eh? EH? :lol:
What, you think we don't notice when this happens? Special industry connections/treatment. :lol:

Wouldn't a more logical [Elite brand] bottle to compare to have been the Elite nanofly?
But no, he has chosen the non-insulated standard garden variety Elite Fly here instead. To make it look bad/worse. :roll:
(which is fine but he's meant to be testing insulated bottles)

Seems to me almost more of a press release than anything else. For metal canister bottles. It must be the latest thing or something.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Exactly how does one 'squeeze' a stainless or titanium podium water bottle to take a drink while riding?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

usr

by usr

ms6073 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:01 pm
Exactly how does one 'squeeze' a stainless or titanium podium water bottle to take a drink while riding?
With a vacuum insulated bottle the answer is a clear not at all. Vacuum insulation isn't a convenient nice to have, it's a last ditch solution for those days when squeezable insulation just won't cut it. For longer sub-zero rides I combine a squeezable plastic insulated (coincidentally a camelbak) with a vacuum insulated one that isn't even bike specific. Downside is that I have to stop to top up the squeezable with liquid heat from the one with meaningful insulation, but the upside is that this allows me to start with boiling hot content in the vacuum one, which you should never ever do with anything with a mouthpiece: the risk of accidentally drinking directly from the hot one is just too big, I'd expect nothing less than an ER visit if that ever happens. The reviewer dutifully praises the product for chilling on hot days, but I suspect that he simply lacks experience with really cold weather, and that camelbak is actually targeting the hot liquids in cold environments market with this thing, if they were aiming at cold liquid in hour environment they'd continue with the established Podium Chill sub-brand. But yeah, that's speculation.

(personally, I don't mind outside temperature water in my bottles on a hot day, to me water pre-heated to roughly body temperature feels like just what I need to keep me hydrated. Sure, cold water would feel refreshing for the moment, but that's a drop in the ocean compared to the energy you need to dissipate through sweating, and water at body temperature seems much easier to ingest in the quantity required. But then I rarely get the opportunity to ride in heat like that, people living in places where it never gets core might well know a thing or two more about riding in heat)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It's like you guys didn't even read the review.

He compares two different brands of vacuum-insulated bottles and ends up stating a preference for the Bivo because it's easier to clean and has a higher flow rate. Somehow I doubt he's been paid off by CamelBak.

These bottles have a straw and an air inlet, kind of like shotgunning a beer. You don't need to squeeze the bottle because the flow rate is already very good from full to empty. As for whether it's for hot or cold, it has exemplary insulative properties either way. After 3.5 hours in 32C temps, the water in the Podium Stainless only went from 0C to 1C. After 6 hours, the Podium Stainless was at 2C. The Podium Chill can't do that, not even close.

For extreme hot weather, this is a gamechanger. Keeping core temps down is a cheatcode when it comes to aerobic performance. Dan Bigham drank/ate 2 liters of ice slushies before his hour record ride.

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

I don't think it's a "gamechanger" at all (for summer). You're not likely to have water left in a bottle after one hour in really hot weather, let alone after 3.5 to 6 hours. The reviewer even states that (albeit half way into the review).
Mo’ water is mo’ better

Determining the best water bottle for hot weather isn’t just about how well they insulate. Realistically speaking, all three of the double-walled metal bottles keep drinks cold well beyond when you’d actually be finished drinking the contents, so while the Podium Stainless was clearly better than the other two in that respect, I don’t consider it a genuine advantage in the real world since any of the three bottles are likely to be empty well before the contents heat up.
Winter. Okay, you drink faaar less. But hot beverages weren't being tested here. :?

I have used plastic insulated bottle by Elite, and there was still ice in the bottle after one hour. That is good enough for me. Far far cheaper and lighter. And not made in China (but Hungary). :noidea:

It's not that reviewers are being paid off. Escape is meant to be independent media. Fine.
It's just whenever they get free kit, and they invariably do get free kit, they never ever say "don't buy this" or even "don't buy this if..." because they know they'll never get free kit again. In that way I still see them as slightly corrupt. Well okay he does advise against the Ti model I suppose. :x

I wanna see more reviews like this. :lol:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Neither Bivo nor CamelBak recommend using their vacuum-insulated bottles with hot liquids.

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

🤦‍♂️

I wouldn't know 'cause I don't live in the Northern hemisphere. :mrgreen:

jayjay

by jayjay

fatpinarellorider wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:45 am
It's not that reviewers are being paid off. Escape is meant to be independent media. Fine.
It's just whenever they get free kit, and they invariably do get free kit, they never ever say "don't buy this" or even "don't buy this if..." because they know they'll never get free kit again. In that way I still see them as slightly corrupt. Well okay he does advise against the Ti model I suppose. :x

I wanna see more reviews like this. :lol:
Reviews like this?
https://escapecollective.com/the-supers ... good-bike/

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

Yes but I mean with the more established brands.
Obviously that bike was a pile of crap (and for once getting more stuff for free from them later on wasn't very appealing).
It's the same bike I linked to. :wink:

jayjay

by jayjay

fatpinarellorider wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:08 am
It's the same bike I linked to. :wink:
I know :)
To me it just sounded like you were saying EscapeCollective wouldn't do a very critical review.

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

No, I'm saying they won't do a highly critical review of well established desirable brands that they get free kit from.

Have a look at this
https://escapecollective.com/bigger-whe ... explained/

Now, if I made a review or let's say comment about 750d, it'll essentially be telling them to "eff off".
All they have done is parrot what Moots and WTB have said about it (like all the other bike mags). :roll:
I don't want to turn this into a debate about new wheelsizes, I'm just saying that they're never that critical of the bike industry.

I'll admit that I don't know much about online bike mags anymore. I don't really read them. I'm not that interested in what they've got to say. I'll decide myself whether I want to buy something.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

They’ve talked plenty of shit about 750D on the Geek Warning podcast.

angryasian

by angryasian

fatpinarellorider wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:50 pm
Why do I say that?
Because why has Mr James Huang been given a special cutaway cross sectional display to photograph? Eh? EH? :lol:
What, you think we don't notice when this happens? Special industry connections/treatment. :lol:
That cutaway photo was from Camelbak's booth at Eurobike.
James Huang
Soon-to-be something-or-other at EscapeCollective.cc

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Pfft, we all know Big Hydration owns you.

Or something.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com