Bike computer with routes but without "app"?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

claus

by claus

Is there a "simple" bicycle computer which can store and show routes so you can follow them in "unknown" places -- and which does NOT require an "app" (nor a "smartphone") - neither for configuring the device, nor for downloading routes to it or rides from it.

All the bicycle computers I had so far can be set up using just the computer itself, but none of them can show a route. However, now I want to go to a place where I seemingly can't get a good (cycling) map hence I'm considering getting a computer for this purpose because I found some routes available as "gpx" or "kml" files. I guess this requires at least a program running on a Mac (no "Windows" here either) to download routes to the bicycle computer? Or maybe it's as simple as downloading rides from the bicycle computer: just "upload" routes to it?

Based on what I read so far Wahoo and Sigma require an app, I'm not sure about Bryton and Garmin.

zirxo

by zirxo

You don't have to use a smartphone app for the Garmin. But you need to use the Garmin Express software on your computer to be able to get the routes into the unit as well as updating it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

zirxo wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:04 pm
You don't have to use a smartphone app for the Garmin. But you need to use the Garmin Express software on your computer to be able to get the routes into the unit as well as updating it.
Not really if you're confident with your computer and Garmin and have a route ready as a GPX file.
- Connect your Garmin to the computer so that it shows up simply as a storage device (does that automatically on Windows)
- Copy the GPX file on your computer to the 'Newfiles' sub-directory on the Garmin
- disconnect the Garmin from the computer.

And that's it. When the Garmin starts up it will automatically load the GPX file to its library of routes.

True that you need Garmin Express on your computer for s/w and map updates of Garmin devices but Garmin Express is a very lightweight application.