SRAM force mechs - battery included?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TimW

by TimW

Hi all. Just pulling together a new SRAM Force AXS gruppo. Rear mech arrived in brown Force box (not sealed). Mech has battery blanker but no battery included. I'm suspicious. Seems odd, that right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TimW wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:10 pm
Hi all. Just pulling together a new SRAM Force AXS gruppo. Rear mech arrived in brown Force box (not sealed). Mech has battery blanker but no battery included. I'm suspicious. Seems odd, that right?

Not odd at all. AXS derailleurs do not come with batteries (or chargers) unless they are part of a groupset.

TimW

by TimW

Ok, thanks for confirmation! I think it's a bit poor, but good to know (especially as the photos on sites all show it). Cheers.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

I thought so to begin with as well, but the logic makes sense. For instance if you're replacing a crash damaged mech there's no reason to buy another battery if yours is still ok. You could even theoretically build or upgrade multiple complete bikes and just move one set of batteries around - though I'm not sure if many people could be bothered.

Maddie

by Maddie

All online shops I know declare in the description that the battery is not included.

TimW

by TimW

My counter is that the mech is completely useless without and a spare battery hardly hurts. It's a $400 mech! I guess most of the market doesn't buy like this though.

Imagine buying a replacement phone and it doesn't come with a battery. Just as useless ;-)

I'd love to have bought a groupset but STILL, months after release you can't still can't get them here in the UK, or even PM cranksets for that matter. :(

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TimW wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:31 pm
My counter is that the mech is completely useless without
That's not a counter to "some people already have batteries".
It's a $400 mech!
£300 at RRP. And a battery is £50. That's 17% on top that you might not need or want to pay.
Imagine buying a replacement phone and it doesn't come with a battery. Just as useless
Imagine buying a modern phone with a universal, externally mounted, instantly swappable battery. Oh, you can't? There you go then.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have more batteries and single-slot AXS battery chargers than I know what to do with. I bought a few spares early on, and I don't need more spares despite having purchased multiple AXS upgrade kits (which do come with batteries) over the last year or so. My original eTap batteries from 2016 are still in the rotation too, superglued tabs and all.

TimW

by TimW

Karvalo wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:21 pm
TimW wrote:

Except for the ones that don't, or would like new batteries as they want to sell on old kit?
It's a $400 mech!
£300 at RRP. And a battery is £50. That's 17% on top that you might not need or want to pay.
Imagine buying a replacement phone and it doesn't come with a battery. Just as useless
Imagine buying a modern phone with a universal, externally mounted, instantly swappable battery. Oh, you can't? There you go then.
That made no sense. Phone was just an example. Stop trying to be clever.

You you really think it cost 50 quid for SRAM, that's a made up retail price not OEM.

I'm done here. Should be a lot clearer on the websites and photos.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TimW wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:11 pm
Except for the ones that don't, or would like new batteries as they want to sell on old kit?
Anyone that wants batteries can get batteries. It's not difficult.
How is it my fault your example makes no sense?
You you really think it cost 50 quid for SRAM, that's a made up retail price not OEM.
1) Every price is a made up price, including the price of the mech itself, but apparently that meant something when you quoted it?

2) Of course I don't think it costs Sram £50 for a battery. Like most businesses, they're not in the habit of selling things for a huge loss.

3) You're a retail customer, not an OEM customer, so what are you talking about?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Not everyone needs a battery or a charger when they buy a derailleur and it would be silly to offer two SKUs just to satisfy everyone. Yay.

ooo

by ooo

including/excluding battery can have some impact on logistics/shipping options
'

bobones

by bobones

ooo wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:43 am
including/excluding battery can have some impact on logistics/shipping options
Yip. Lithium batteries are classed as dangerous goods and require special package labelling and treatment.

This is a pointless rant from the OP. Groupsets and mini groupsets include the batteries, individual derailleurs don't, and for good reason. It has always been this way and the product descriptions say batteries aren't included. It's no one but the OP's fault if he didn't know this and didn't budget to buy batteries.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

TimW wrote:
Karvalo wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:21 pm
TimW wrote:

It's a $400 mech!

I'm done here. Should be a lot clearer on the websites and photos.
More likely you need to learn to read more carefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk