Campagnolo EPS V2 malfunction - Help needed!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Hi there,

I have a build with Campagnolo SR EPS V2. However I have a major malfunction with the system. Nothing is working - the DTI lights are not coming on, nor is there any response with the shifters. When I charge, I get the solid green light, orange is solid, then it starts blinking after 15min of charge. Is there a way to diagnose whether I have a battery or DTI box issue? Everything is wired up ok fyi.

Eg disconnect the DTI from the battery and check if it charges - or do I risk damaging the system? Fingers crossed it is just the DTI box that needs replacing!

Based in Brussels, Belgium.

Thanks!

Miller

by Miller

I think you can charge a disconnected power unit just fine *but* I suspect the PU may be the issue. All EPS V2 PUs must be very old now. Is this a bike you've just built, have you used these EPS components before?

If it is the PU the fix is a v3 PU and DTI. More money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Hey Miller - bike was built in 2019 with a new PU - the rest of the group set was a takeoff an ex-WT team bike. Unfortunately due to COVID and Brexit the bike was stuck oversees for a couple of years so I have put less than 1000km on it! Bike has been stored indoors and well cared for...

Thanks for your advice!

glepore

by glepore

Yes, you can charge a disconnected p/u. I recently picked up a Chorus v2 group that wouldn't charge, for an unknown reason. After disconnecting the p/u and charging it solo, all was good. No idea what the issue was.
There are finally v3 interfaces available again-for a bit if you had a dead v2 you were in the woods.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Miller

by Miller

MikeyBE wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:35 am
Hey Miller - bike was built in 2019 with a new PU - the rest of the group set was a takeoff an ex-WT team bike. Unfortunately due to COVID and Brexit the bike was stuck oversees for a couple of years so I have put less than 1000km on it! Bike has been stored indoors and well cared for...
If the PU wasn't charged for two years, the li-ion cells may not have liked that. But let us know if charging the detached PU does the trick.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

you need to charge the battery every 6 months. the battery is dead and needs a recharge

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Hey all - regarding the battery use. For clarity I've been riding the bike since November and keeping it well charged.

So I disconnected the PU from the mechs and DTI box. Stuck the shutoff magnet band on and charged it. It did a full charge cycle - no pulsing orange lights and the the solid light shut off after 2hrs or so.

Wired everything back up and removed the shutoff magnet - no luck - no lights on the DTI box! In the next week or so a replacement DTI unit will arrive, so I am hoping that wil be a fix.

Miller

by Miller

Just a thought but maybe check all the plug connections. The plugs and sockets need to be lined up precisely, perhaps a pin has become bent? Anyway I hope the new DTI fixes the issue.

glepore

by glepore

Having recently converted a v3 battery to have a Chorus/Athena rd plug, I can tell you that the wires are crazy fine. I'm curious as to whether a new DTI fixes this; if not, its likely a failed wire going somewhere. I'd try hooking just the existing DTI up and see if you get flashing lights (error codes), then introducing one connection at a time.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

bcmf

by bcmf

Heya,
I will be dismantling a bike with V2 PU and battery soon.
If you want them for a song just shout.
I am in Ireland so no issues with Brexit and external EU etc etc...

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Thanks all - the new DTI should arrive in a day or two! I'll update you all soon... @bcmf - I may be in touch ;)

glepore

by glepore

Any resolution?

glepore

by glepore

Any resolution?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com