Repairing/filling chips? Botched shop job, scratched frame

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

Who cuts a fork while still on the bike?😥
Yep, I would be attempting to argue for a new frame here.
Otherwise 1-star google review + name and shame.

That's just the way it works. They are meant to be professionals and professionals don't do this.
If they cut corners hiring some highschool dropout, that's their problem.

I certainly hope you haven't already paid for this "service".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Except for Contador's personal mechanic who is above reproach when cutting steerers, the "in the frame" thing became a thing with the popularity of integration. Not many mechs want to disassemble all that mess to cut a steer tube.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

100% new frame thats absolutely ridiculous. Id be going absolutely bananas if they didn't sort that out asap

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

poulhansen

by poulhansen

To OP. You can get wax with a slight colour for cars. Try to find the dominating colour and wax it. The wax get's into the scratches and leave a colour instead of the white streaks.

That said, I have successfully sprayed a dab of clearcoat on a few(not so new and expensive) bikes, to remove whitish scratches.

To test if it would work, just wipe some spirit/alcohol over the scratches, to see if they disappear. The alcohol will just evaporate after a short while.
Cannondale Super Six HiMod 2017 6.7 kg
Cannondale six13, 2004, 5.50kg
Focus Izalco Max, 2023 4.418 kg

Maddie

by Maddie

But that's not a scratch. At least 3 layers of carbon are cut into. And yes, that's because of integrated cables. Some work is involved if you want to remove the fork. And the customer will have to pay for that...
I would try to get a new frame from the LBS. They should have insurance for accidents like this

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I think hes taking to the OP (original poster) which is a different issue

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

bmrk

by bmrk

I already have cut the steerer tube still in the frame a few times already and it is not a big deal.

In order for something like this to happen the "compentent bike mechanic" was definitely having a f****** seizure.

The only way for him to have not damaged the frame is having the frame in a different physical location.

They need to get you a replacement frame asap.

TidyDinosaur

by TidyDinosaur

bmrk wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:36 am
I already have cut the steerer tube still in the frame a few times already and it is not a big deal.

In order for something like this to happen the "compentent bike mechanic" was definitely having a f****** seizure.

The only way for him to have not damaged the frame is having the frame in a different physical location.

They need to get you a replacement frame asap.
I can see something like this happinging easily... I get not removing the fork from the frame for cutting, but at least cover the frame with some thick sheets or something...

Mindflash

by Mindflash

I think we all agree the process was not well thought and consequenes could be avoided fully.

I asked about your view not to guide your answer as per my decision. I asked for replacement frame immediately, they offered repair.

I trully believe it was not intentional/reckless but have concerns with easy way out - repair:
- resell value is lower in any case
- outcome/quality of repair is unknown
- Giant warranty - guess it's void with self inspired repair. Any experience? Paint has 2 years warranty, frame lifetime dor first owner.

TidyDinosaur

by TidyDinosaur

Mindflash wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:14 pm
I think we all agree the process was not well thought and consequenes could be avoided fully.

I asked about your view not to guide your answer as per my decision. I asked for replacement frame immediately, they offered repair.

I trully believe it was not intentional/reckless but have concerns with easy way out - repair:
- Giant warranty - guess it's void with self inspired repair. Any experience? Paint has 2 years warranty, frame lifetime dor first owner.
If you agree to the repair I feel you are really getting the bad side of the deal... They get off fairly cheap but you take a seriuous financial hit and a lot of risk...
- resale value will indeed be A LOT lower since most people do not trust repaired carbon frames
- they will have to repaint your frame. Quality will probably be lower than the stock paint
- If I had to guess warranty could indeed become a problem in the future. This exposes you to more financial risk in the future should something happen....

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

That cut does not look good at all

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Can you send it to Giant directly and see if they will honor the warranty? After all, that dealer is their agent.

London9921

by London9921

poulhansen wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:49 am
To OP. You can get wax with a slight colour for cars. Try to find the dominating colour and wax it. The wax get's into the scratches and leave a colour instead of the white streaks.

That said, I have successfully sprayed a dab of clearcoat on a few(not so new and expensive) bikes, to remove whitish scratches.

To test if it would work, just wipe some spirit/alcohol over the scratches, to see if they disappear. The alcohol will just evaporate after a short while.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that!

In terms of resolution, I got my money back for the repair. They contacted a painter but it just felt too onerous disassembling the whole bike in order to send the frame for a (maybe worse) touch-up, so I proposed an S-Works helmet as a trade off. The store manager was extremely professional and forthcoming and I'm happy with the outcome.

I might try to also touch up the scratches with a similar looking lacquer from a car paint shop, using a tiny brush. I'll check it underneath the frame first and if it looks all right might be worth trying but I'll look into the waxing first as it's less intrusive.

In terms of the Propel - I'd totally demand a new frame.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

That's a new frame. If they refuse, it is a legal matter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Mindflash wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:14 pm

If they want to repair the frame, then they can do that after they buy you a new one. Please let us know what happened.