NBC and TDF

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

clutchup

by clutchup

I need to rant. I pay almost 200.00 a month for Verizon which includes NBC, USA, etc. now this year NBC is only going to play a handful of stages of the TDF on TV and burry the rest behind their Peacock paywall. I was a member of Peacock last year so i could watch the replays but this is ridiculous. No only that they doubled their premium fee to avoid commercials. I feel like every year it gets more ridiculous of the hoops we have to jump through to watch the TDF. Anyway F*#% NBC.

I finally took the plunge and paid for GCN plus and a VPN. More expensive now since I only did a month sub to ensure it would work but it does. If you do yearly subs to both it comes out to 10 a month and I now get all the races vs the handful on Peacock.

Anyway end rant. Curious of your thoughts

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

clutchup wrote:I need to rant. I pay almost 200.00 a month for Verizon which includes NBC, USA, etc. now this year NBC is only going to play a handful of stages of the TDF on TV and burry the rest behind their Peacock paywall. I was a member of Peacock last year so i could watch the replays but this is ridiculous. No only that they doubled their premium fee to avoid commercials. I feel like every year it gets more ridiculous of the hoops we have to jump through to watch the TDF. Anyway F*#% NBC.

I finally took the plunge and paid for GCN plus and a VPN. More expensive now since I only did a month sub to ensure it would work but it does. If you do yearly subs to both it comes out to 10 a month and I now get all the races vs the handful on Peacock.

Anyway end rant. Curious of your thoughts
Why not dispense with GCN+ and just use a VPN with france.tv? The commentary is in French but that’s preferable to any of the English speaking streams. All you need do is have the TdF site up in negus and you’re good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bravo73

by Bravo73

ultimobici wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:10 pm
Why not dispense with GCN+ and just use a VPN with france.tv? The commentary is in French but that’s preferable to any of the English speaking streams.
Or, why not use the VPN to access the ITV stream (via the ITV X app)?

I personally prefer the commentary team on the ITV coverage but the endless ads drive me towards watching the GCN+/Eurosport coverage.
2011 S-Works Tarmac SL3 (ex-Team Highroad)
2023 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX

EdWiser

by EdWiser

I watch pro cycling year around not just the TDF. So GCN+ and a VPN are well worth the money. Watching all the CX racing in the fall and winter and all the spring racing is just fantastic.

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

Doesn't SBS on demand have live streaming?
All you need is a VPN for Australia.
https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/collect ... d-upcoming

AJS914

by AJS914

I've tried Australia and it worked ok. I want to watch all the big races and I almost never watch them live to GCN + VPN works the best. GCN also has a decent 30 minute recap episode if that is all you have time for.

kode54

by kode54

Yeah...all these subscription streams. I start and stop Peacock for July just to watch the TdF.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

thewoodsman

by thewoodsman

TdF is on YouTubeTV, at least for me (OH). I am a few stages behind, so not sure if they are full coverage--stage 1 was trunkated a bit, 2 was the full stage. A bunch of other UCI races on there, and one of the other grand tours.

GCN+ is great for races...I also like most of the documentaries.

ms6073

by ms6073

clutchup wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:08 pm
I finally took the plunge and paid for GCN plus and a VPN.
Are you streaming via a smart device that is cast/connected to a television or are you using the GCN+ app on a Smart television?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

bobones

by bobones

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:48 pm
clutchup wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:08 pm
I finally took the plunge and paid for GCN plus and a VPN.
Are you streaming via a smart device that is cast/connected to a television or are you using the GCN+ app on a Smart television?
I'm in the UK, so don't need a VPN to get most of the coverage, but I use the GCN+ app on Android TV (Sony TV, Nvidia Shield, Xgimi projector), Amazon FireTV, Android tablet, and iPhone devices. Casting from the iPhone or tablet works well enough, but the firestick or Android TV is a more user friendly option. Not all Android TV systems are the same though, and I have devices where it is imposible to navigate through the app because the remote control cursor keys don't work with this app. I'm pretty sure you could use the VPN app on whatever device you want to use, or even deploy it from a router to cover all your devices.

Aeo

by Aeo

Look into getting a Discovery+ subscription, at 6€ monthly or 60€ per year (lower tiers with ads available, too)

You get the same uninterrupted, multi-language stream that is available on GCN+. The app might be better as well
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

NBC offered Peacock for $10 during Black Friday. I created an e-mail address and signed up. Even if I just watch it for the TdF, it made sense!

ms6073

by ms6073

FIJIGabe wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:13 pm
NBC offered Peacock for $10 during Black Friday. I created an e-mail address and signed up. Even if I just watch it for the TdF, it made sense!
We sort of did the same thing with motorsport tv so we could watch the coverage of the 24-hours of LeMans.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Anyone having issues logging into GCN Plus? I have tried on a couple different devices and just get an error code. Email is correct and I tried to do the forgot PW and it reset fine but still same error code. Yes I have a VPN which I turn off when logging in. I did send a report to management. Just wondering if they got hacked...
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:48 pm

I realize I'm responding to an old post but I just wanted to say that I have a older Mac Mini attached to my big tv. Works fabulously. It runs silent. I can run my VPN, play GCN+ from the web browser