Fork Swap - how would it change frame geometry?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Built a Scott Addict for winter use (non-RC) as it has fender mounts, and currently using as summer bike as my Synapse has a cracked seat tube.

One of the intersting things about the ‘endurance’ addict is that it looks to have susbstantially the same tube profiles as the Addict R , but a standard 27.2mm seatpost (better for a WW build).

It has 20mm taller forks (axle to crown 400mm v 380mm) + the head tube is 5mm taller - the stack is 248mm higher in total.

Question is, any ideas on what would be the result if I swapped the RC fork for summer riding? Scott are telling me the fork rake on both is 45mm.

Frame is 56cm; other Geo below

I have looked for an online tool but not found anything. Would just be intersting to know what people might think might be the outcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Beancouter on Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

It'd have a significantly steeper head angle and shorter trail figure than either bike. On the flip side the BB would be very low. Overall result? Not exactly sure but would probably be a bit twitchy.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Beancouter wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:31 am
Built a Scott Addict for winter use (non-RC) as it has fender mounts, and currently using as summer bike as my Synapse has a cracked seat tube.

One of the intersting things about the ‘endurance’ addict is that it looks to have susbstantially the same tube profiles as the Addict R , but a standard 27.2mm seatpost (better for a WW build).

It has 20mm taller forks (axle to crown 400mm v 380mm) + the head tube is 5mm taller - the stack is 248mm higher in total.

Question is, any ideas on what would be the result if I swapped the RC fork for summer riding? Scott are telling me the fork rake on both is 45mm.

Frame is 56cm; other Geo below

I have looked for an online tool but not found anything. Would just be intersting to know what people might think might be the outcome!

20mm is too much, you should look at something like 5mm difference if you would maintain the bikes handling.
Best is ofcourse something as close as possible. But 20mm with same rake would make a way slower steering. You will clearly notice this when you aim to climb your saddle, because you would need to change the angle of that to.
I wouldn't go down this route if i were you.
This length is to much...

If you like to use a tool, here you go..
http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/trailcalc.php
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:36 pm
Swapping to a 20mm longer fork, axle to crown?
Shorter, is how I read it. The race fork in the endurance frame.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Karvalo wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:49 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:36 pm
Swapping to a 20mm longer fork, axle to crown?
Shorter, is how I read it. The race fork in the endurance frame.
Yes, you are right :thumbup: .... and i obviously didn't manage to read this as it should have been read.

Better edit ;-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Thank you for the feedback - I will him the idea. I had assumed it would be a bit sharper but not keen on going too far

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Yeah, it would handle like a stayer bike. Don't go there. Find another fork with same A-C, but go less rake if you want.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com