Zipp / BikeInn lifetime warranty & crash replacement confusion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

req110

by req110

Hello team.

I have Zipp 404 Firecrest 2022 model, purchased in 2022 from BikeInn (a Spanish sports online store), registered on the Zipp website.

I was living under the impression that I am covered, as per this webpage

https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/campaigns/warranty
If your Zipp product fails while riding, we will replace or repair it free of charge.
Examples of coverage while riding:
You are riding in a group, hit a pothole that nobody announced, and your wheel is damaged. You are covered.
An authorized dealer must process warranty claims and send them to a SRAM service location for evaluation.
Until I hit the pothole and damaged my rim.

So I raised a case with bikeInn, describing the situation and also providing a link to the ZIPP website, using the warranty claim section under my profile underneath the specific order number where the wheelset comes from.

They closed my case saying that the warranty is not meant for damage. Last two days I am trying to contact them on multiple channels, asking for support, describing that I am looking for crash replacement and meeting what ZIPP has promised. So far I am getting only generic responses like from AI, no human touch, no experienced person with understanding of Zipp crash replacement.

I also raised case with Zipp/Sram support telling them what happened with bikeInn.

Any ideas here?
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

bobones

by bobones

You could process the warranty claim through a local SRAM authorised dealer rather than BikeInn. I'd phone your local SRAM tech centre for advice and try to find a local dealer who'll help you.

I've used a local bike shop that is an authorised SRAM dealer to process warranty claims for items that I've bought elsewhere (once for a retailer who'd gone out of business and the other for an online retailer that I thought would be slow to process my claim).

The shop needs to be willing to help you and may charge a small fee for admin/shipping costs. If the claim is successful and there is stock, SRAM should send the replacement to you via the shop. If there is no stock, you'd need to get back to BikeInn and look for some resolution. For example, I've had Wiggle refund my card for warrantied items that I had to buy elsewhere because WIggle had no stock. Other times, I've just been given a refund.

Not good from BikeInn though. I'll only buy stuff from them that I know I'll never need to return or warranty as it just seems to be too much bother.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

I got this from sram support which kind of supports your suggestion. Thank you.

Zipp Support (Zipp)
Jun 20, 2023, 14:19 CDT

Hi Ondrej,
Thanks for your email. I'm sorry you're dealer is not assisting you with a claim, and I've reported your complaint to the warranty group.
You are backed by a global lifetime warranty when you buy new Zipp wheels, and if your Zipp product fails or is damaged while riding, we will replace or repair it free of charge.
Your point of purchase should assist you for the first two years from the date of purchase, but a local shop can also submit a claim at their discretion. Usually, a small labor and handling fee is added. This isn't a SRAM/ZIPP fee but an approved service charge for managing the submission.
Consumer direct service is not available. However, retailers are familiar with the claims process and are comfortable assisting you as warranty submission is built into a shop sales and support system. Please ask a local SRAMN dealer for assistance. As soon as your dealer submits the warranty, the Tech Center in your region can provide the evaluation and service.

sfo423

by sfo423

I always thought BikeInn was not an AD but more of a black market retailer for many brands.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Can't say anything regarding BikeInn, but Zipp service is top notch. I crashed in a race and damaged my 404 FC rear wheel The dealer i bought them from (Mantel) send me a returns label via mail, i shipped the damaged wheel and two weeks later a new wheel arrived at my door. No cost at all for me. Great customer experience.

req110

by req110

My local distributors are trying to make my experience even more miserable, probably punishing me for purchasing the wheelset from a foreign shop, rather than local.
Both distributors are telling me to bring it to the original seller.

But the original seller is bloody BikeINN/tradeInn who have the worst possible support ever, I am getting only AI-generated responses deflecting me due to rider damage, not taking Zipp Lifetime Crash Replacement into consideration.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

req110 wrote:My local distributors are trying to make my experience even more miserable, probably punishing me for purchasing the wheelset from a foreign shop, rather than local.
Both distributors are telling me to bring it to the original seller.
Put yourself in their shoes. You bought something they have invested time and effort into ranging from a site that undermines their business by undercutting them to below their cost price. When that unscrupulous seller stiffs you you’re expecting them to help you out.

By distributor I presume you mean shops? Where are you based? Most European countries have a wholesale distributor who may be able to direct you to a more amenable shop.
But the original seller is bloody BikeINN/tradeInn who have the worst possible support ever, I am getting only AI-generated responses deflecting me due to rider damage, not taking Zipp Lifetime Crash Replacement into consideration.
You may be able to use EU legislation to force BikeInn to honour the crash replacement policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

req110

by req110

0) I contact few local bike shops, those contacted either of two local importers/distributors, both of them denied the service.

1) money - that's why SRAM mentioned "but a local shop can also submit a claim at their discretion. Usually, a small labor and handling fee is added. " this section is in SRAM instruction email and I am more than happy to pay fee to local seller or distributor for handling this.

2) You mean BBB EUPS?

3) I received a free return label from BikeINN and will ship them next week - let's see.

bobones

by bobones

ultimobici wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:17 pm
Put yourself in their shoes. You bought something they have invested time and effort into ranging from a site that undermines their business by undercutting them to below their cost price. When that unscrupulous seller stiffs you you’re expecting them to help you out.
The OP is a SRAM customer, so any shop participating in the SRAM dealer network should be obliged to assist SRAM customers with warranty claims, particularly as SRAM do not allow customers direct access to warranty services, only through the dealer network, and SRAM's warranty is supposed to be global. If a shop doesn't want to help SRAM customers then they shouldn't be SRAM dealers, and SRAM should be putting pressure or incentivising dealers to be more cooperative in this regard.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

bobones wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:51 am
should be
But aren't.

Omiar

by Omiar

Hit a stone last September during a race and broke a front 303S wheel. Bought from Germany because of a good price, but warrantied through my local dealer. Saved the shipping fee back to Germany.
They just asked the invoice to be sure the wheel is not fake.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

You may not be covered because you are located in Czech Republic and Bikeinn operates out of Spain
(and strangely enough seems to ship out of Holland🤔)

I use them. What I mean is I buy from them. They are cheap. But I wouldn't fancy my chances of a warranty claim.

Worse, SRAM/zipp now has regions bans, so if you do manage to sneak something into some countries... I guess you ain't covered...

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

fatpinarellorider wrote:You may not be covered because you are located in Czech Republic and Bikeinn operates out of Spain
(and strangely enough seems to ship out of HollandImage)

I use them. What I mean is I buy from them. They are cheap. But I wouldn't fancy my chances of a warranty claim.

Worse, SRAM/zipp now has regions bans, so if you do manage to sneak something into some countries... I guess you ain't covered...
Czech Republic is in the EU so warranty cannot be denied on region grounds.

However there is nothing stopping a dealer from declining to process on behalf of a price discounter.

Sram has always had region bans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by ultimobici on Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

Err, it's the distributors that are 'scalping'. Scalping means raising the price. :mrgreen:

This is merely capitalism & market competition driving prices downwards. :mrgreen:

Of course then you run into problems like these when it's time to speak with the local distributors. :x

That's why I'd just cut my losses at times like these. :|
Most of the time I personally would rather not deal with my local bike shop or official importer/distributor whatever.
For one thing they never have the brands I want. :noidea:

In the past I have supported my lbs a lot more, yes.
But where I live now, no thank you.