Legion…

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Seems like every day I read a new story about their overly aggressive style of racing. They can’t accept criticism, they ride their opponents into the barriers, …
How long before sponsors drop out or will they defend them?

Some examples:
- https://www.instagram.com/p/CtT20p9uwOY ... FlZA%3D%3D
- https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtWfhsor ... BiNWFlZA==

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

sponsors will get called something which they are not... they are stuck in the game for now.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

C36

by C36

Saw it shared multiple times (and I don’t follow racing on the other side of the Atlantic) on my IG… quite terrible, who is sponsoring them?

spartacus

by spartacus

He... stomped on the guy's bike?? lol

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

C36 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:44 pm
Saw it shared multiple times (and I don’t follow racing on the other side of the Atlantic) on my IG… quite terrible, who is sponsoring them?
Specialized, competitive cyclist, Rapha to name a few.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Sam Boardman is awesome, but he seems to be the exception on the roster.

misteryellow

by misteryellow

Read this and you'll see why: https://www.bicycling.com/racing/a37069 ... the-world/ The cycling industry at large (especially America) has embraced the victim mentality of the Williams brothers and the woke mentality has left no room for critique. I read many interviews of them and they have an extremely self righteous and at times anti-white mentality. They are, from what I can gather, very toxic. Their riders are also clearly filterd on identity politics. However, it would be a simplification to simply state this view here without taking their background into consideration. I can very much understand how the legacy of racism and institutional disprivilege has molded their personality. They really had to fight to get where they are at and I respect that. As such, I hope sponsors do not drop them but call them our for their behaviour. These guys need to tone down the anger and resentment. There is no place for hostility in cycling, whatever your background.
''Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It will add unnecessary complexity with little, if any, real benefit. Part of the beauty of this sport is the lack of hand holding & arse wiping.'' - ultimobici

Karvalo

by Karvalo

misteryellow wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:01 pm
The cycling industry at large (especially America) has embraced the victim mentality of the Williams brothers and the woke mentality has left no room for critique.
Right, because white people never get away with being assholes as long as they're successful.

Maddie

by Maddie

Justin who?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I don’t hate their concepts, I just feel like it could be done in a more respectful and responsible way. Kids look up to you, you have to be responsible an acknowledge your mistakes.

misteryellow

by misteryellow

Karvalo wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:24 pm
misteryellow wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:01 pm
The cycling industry at large (especially America) has embraced the victim mentality of the Williams brothers and the woke mentality has left no room for critique.
Right, because white people never get away with being assholes as long as they're successful.
That is also true, but the racial component makes it harder to critique someone in this political climate. Before you know it you are accused of perpetuating the 'angry black man' trope. As of 2023 race stands in the way of equality on both sides of the equation. White people get away with stuff because of their historically ordained privilege, people of color get away with things because of historical wrongdoings towards them and the subsequent inequality. Of course, it is also a possibility that race has nothing to do with Legion getting away with what they do. That is possibly more likely. I just hate how the Williams brothers have racialized cycling and I am throwing that racialization right back into their face. They use race to explain every human interaction they have so I just follow their logic. Cycling used to be a European folk sport but they had to mess with it and pollute the sport with their American identity politics. Legion can keep their identity politics, I hope other teams carry the banner of equality. Not with alienation but with positivity.
''Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It will add unnecessary complexity with little, if any, real benefit. Part of the beauty of this sport is the lack of hand holding & arse wiping.'' - ultimobici

misteryellow

by misteryellow

Never mind.

AJS914

by AJS914

misteryellow wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:22 pm
Cycling used to be a European folk sport but they had to mess with it and pollute the sport with their American identity politics.

Pollute the sport? At the highest level of the sport I still see Europeans, almost all white.

Legion is the only pro team of their caliber in the US. They have more sponsors so they can control crits and be the big fish in a small pond. My only problem with them is their bully tactics and inability to accept any criticism without some ballistic response on Instagram.

I'm otherwise happy if their mission is to spread the joy of cycling to anyone, minority or not, but in the end I don't see them ever moving the needle.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

misteryellow wrote:
Cycling used to be a European folk sport but they had to mess with it and pollute the sport with their American identity politics.
lol, I can assure you that Legion have polluted absolutely nothing in Europe. If you're angry that an American team in America has Americanised the American racing scene, well goddamn dude - I have absolutely no idea what to say about that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Karvalo wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:43 pm
misteryellow wrote:
lol, I can assure you that Legion have polluted absolutely nothing in Europe. If you're angry that an American team in America has Americanised the American racing scene, well goddamn dude - I have absolutely no idea what to say about that.
I'm thankful they have polluted absolutely nothing in Europe.

As for Americanising the American racing scene.. oh no. That would be agreeing that wokeness is "American".. I dont accept that premise.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2023 Pivot E-Vault