Component use log

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

I know Strava has a feature that allows you to log/track specific component use e.g 2000km used so far on a given chain.

Is there something else similar that's a standalone app/website?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GaBa

by GaBa

Any option that works without Strava? I only log my rides to TrainingPeaks and do not plan to upload them anywhere else so I would be interested in an option that would work with TP?

I was actually thinking about writting them to include something like this in their app, so you could track your other equipment besides existing bike, shoe options.

bmrk

by bmrk

If you are a garmin user, garmin connect provides gear usage tracking per activity type.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/gear

bobones

by bobones

I'm not very disciplined about keeping my components and bikes up to date on Strava or ProBikeGarage, so I'm going to try a different approach using NFC stickers on my wheels and frames to keep some basic rnotes on the things I'm interested in tracking like sealant usage and perhaps battery and bar tape swaps. I figure I might be more likely to update these stickers in a timely manner because they'll be right in front of me.

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Unfortunately not a Garmin user or Strava user, so looking for something totally independent. Happily just input the data myself rather than linking to anything.

Would also be interesting to monitor some more things than I expect isn't monitored by current apps. e.g ride intensity, surface type, surface condition, weather, when chain was last cleaned, what lubricant used and when etc.

Am putting together something in Excel (with a bit of VBA) to build a proof of concept.

I work in data analytics so thinking this should probably be a pretty easy thing to build and then analyse, but obviously would prefer a simple mobile app (could probably learn to build one)

bmrk

by bmrk

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 5:21 pm
Unfortunately not a Garmin user or Strava user, so looking for something totally independent. Happily just input the data myself rather than linking to anything.

Would also be interesting to monitor some more things than I expect isn't monitored by current apps. e.g ride intensity, surface type, surface condition, weather, when chain was last cleaned, what lubricant used and when etc.

Am putting together something in Excel (with a bit of VBA) to build a proof of concept.

I work in data analytics so thinking this should probably be a pretty easy thing to build and then analyse, but obviously would prefer a simple mobile app (could probably learn to build one)
Since you touched that, i also pull ride data into a SQLite database (so it's portable and simple) to complement the data with manually inputed attributes not tracked by gramin/strava/intervals.icu (eg, chain wax cycles, cassete, chainrings, indoor vs outdoor regarding gear usage, wheels used etc) so i can play with some analysis. All very rudimentary as of now since i haven’t spent proper time on it, but it definitely works.

ms6073

by ms6073

Not sure if it is available for iPhone users, but for Android there is the Feedback Sports bicycle maintenance tracking app
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Deleted [duplicate post]
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"