Race rain cape no flapping

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

parajba

by parajba

Hello, I need to buy a super light, breathable and waterproof cape for racing. It needs to be snug, I don't like when garments flap, packable as I will store it in the back pockets.
I read that the ShakeDry farbric is awesome.

Any suggestions? I checked out the Gore, but I am confused as there appears to be different lines C5, C7, race and so on. I would need the racy line.

Thanks for your help!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DDX

by DDX

7mesh oro

Flasher

by Flasher

Gore do a race version:

https://www.gorewear.com/en-uk/race-gor ... ens-100738

Always best to try on as many as you can, fit is very personal.

Pottermouse

by Pottermouse

Shakedry performs well... for a while. But it is very, very fragile. I have one rolled up, inside a thin bag, that goes in my jersey pocket when it looks like I may need it. The waterproofing has worn through just where it has folded (along the creases). I am pretty sure the (professional) reviewers do not keep the jackets long enough to find this out, before writing up the review.

So if you change your (expensive) clothes regularly, it may be OK, but it is definitley not an investment piece.

Also, I understand that the fabric has been discontinued by Gore... heard that the manufacturing process it super bad environmentally... but I would not be surprised if the excessive fragility is not part of it.

kode54

by kode54

It’s the abrasion that wears off where the folds/creases are if kept in the same rolled up pack. I’m not sure it can be avoided if you use it on occasion. At least that’s what I found. I never bought another one since those abraded areas leaked like crazy. I had the early one so not sure if the stretch version was any different.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

parajba

by parajba

Thanks, sounds like the ShakeDry doesn't work for me then. I don't mind spending this amount of money on a jacket that hopefully I will never wear or keep as a plan b in my pocket when there is risk of rain in a granfondo or race.
Sportful do a hot pack, which is cheap and cheerful, does that work well perhaps?

BBres

by BBres

Endura FS260-Pro Race Cape II

cheaper option: Van Rysel Ultralight Rain Jacket
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-lon ... 58&c=BLACK

That is the question I faced in the past. I also race a lot, and sometimes in rain as well.

In the end - provided that you don't race a 150 km race - I chose just a standard windproof pocket jacket. Normally they provide enough rain protection. No jacket will be bearthable enough to prevent you from boiling in the conditions of a race. They are OK for Z2 to Z3 rides.

The other matter is that there is always a huge risk of crashing. I don't want to risk a 300 EUR jacket to be torn. That's why I always chose rather some older and less valuable gear for rainy races.

And after a few first attacks nobody cares about water. But I use Velotoze shoecovers and I instal my ass saver.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

robeambro

by robeambro

parajba wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:30 am
Thanks, sounds like the ShakeDry doesn't work for me then. I don't mind spending this amount of money on a jacket that hopefully I will never wear or keep as a plan b in my pocket when there is risk of rain in a granfondo or race.
Sportful do a hot pack, which is cheap and cheerful, does that work well perhaps?
Castelli now makes the Slicker, a jacket that looks like a Shakedry but isn't. It's a £450 jacket and therefore untested as of yet (or at least I've never heard of anyone buying it), so make of that what you will. Frankly even if it was a miracle garment I find the pricing to be beyond absurd and would rather sweat a little bit with a cheaper jacket..

BBres

by BBres

Thumbs up. A slide of a wheel and farewell sweet jacket.

And that is so frequent that after the first 10 minutes of a rainy race all guys unzip their jackets.

The other story is a rainy race in a temperature around 2-3 degrees. It may happen in the beginning of the season, March - April.

In this case I'd ride in my Castelli Perfetto RoS jacket - waterproof and breathable due to goretex, but defnitiely unusalbe above 6-7 degrees. Goretex is breathable and lets the moisture away, but it will never manage the mass of sweat in a race.

bobones

by bobones

BBres wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:24 am
Endura FS260-Pro Race Cape II
I was going to suggest this too. Not too expensive but a decent performer. I used these before I got my shake-dry jackets (Castelli Irdo and 7-Mesh Oro), which are much more waterproof, but aren't so breathable and probably too warm (and expensive) for racing.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

What about something like a Castelli Gabba? Castelli practically invented this section of the market of a light stretchy softshell using Gore Windstopper fabric (which is actually the original 2-layer Gore-Tex waterproof fabric) with taped seams. It's not suitable for warm/hot weather, but in hot weather, I assume you'd just get wet in a race anyways. The advantage to this type of jersey is that it is tight fitting and racey, of course the downside is you can't take it off and store it during a ride.

If you want something you can take on and off during a ride, Shakedry would be my choice if you can still find it. It's the only waterproof/breathable technology that doesn't require DWR - which wears off or wets out and when that happens the breathability stops. The Shakedry has the best breathability on the market, which is important in something like a race. It isn't very abrasion resistant since the WP/B layer is on the outside of the garmet, rather than being protected by a fabric outer layer, but that's how it's so compact, light, and doesn't need DWR.

Gore-Tex is going away from PTFE (Teflon) to be more enviromentally friendly, of course that's what makes Gore-Tex different (and better) than all the other waterproof breathable tech out there (except for eVent which is also PTFE) so I'm not sure how that is going to impact Gore and their products going forward. The same thing happend with DWR about ten years ago when companies moved away from C8 flourocarbon DWR (which was really bad for the enviroment but worked well) to C6 flourocarbon DWR (which was better for the enviroment but still not great, but didn't work as well) as the DWR performance really took a hit. Moving away from PTFE is what is making Gore drop Shakedry, which was the biggest advacnement in WP/B tech the past 40 years or so, but it can't be made with other more enviromentally friendly materials. I'm sure it also doesn't help that it wasn't very abraision resistant which made them market it to cyclists and runners only, while their main market for Gore-Tex is Hunters, Mountaineers, Backpackers.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

parajba wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 10:30 am
Thanks, sounds like the ShakeDry doesn't work for me then.
The bottom line is that there is nothing even close in terms of the combination of light weight, waterproofing, and breathability. I haven't encountered the fragility issue.

I have 7 Mesh Oro ShakeDry purchased in 2019 which I have used extensively every winter since. Had it off and on, and in and out of pockets many times and it is as watertight as the day I bought it. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and will intentionally ride in serious rain storms on occasion just to test my gear. Bought a second but haven't had to use it yet. Also have Castelli Idro 3 ShakeDry (not pro version which is too bulky) in XL, and also in XXL to fit over additional winter layers on colder days. Castelli Idro 3 is a superior design - fabulous collar and cuffs, great back flex panel that limits flapping. 7 Mesh Oro is seriously compact - sub 100 grams in size XL, half the bulk of the already compact Idro 3 in the pocket. Requires skinny arms, longer in the body - protects ass and crotch better, a bit more flapping.

But you don't have to worry about any of this as any Shakedry, other than Gore product, will be a rare find. All, including Gore, are discontinued as noted above due to the banning of PFC compounds (not due to any fragility issue). Gore has a limited supply. The only suitable Gore item is their current race version, or earlier C7, but the addition of so many flex panels significantly increases bulk.

Endura FS260-Pro Race Cape II - decent form fitting design but not waterproof, poor breathability. I use mine as a winter windproof layer, not suitable for anything else. Based on reviews, I had high hopes only suffer hypothermia in several hours of rain at altitude. Gran Sasso anyone?

Sportful Hot Pack - another glorified wind jacket.

Any and all Gore-tex or other membrane jacket with fabric laminated overtop (2 layer, 3 layer, etc.) These are only as good as the DWR treatment on the outside. Once the outer fabric layer is saturated, zero breathability, and leaks are soon to follow. And any that might fit in a pocket will be very tight fit if even possible. You might need a team car to carry it for you.

Gabba or similar. A nice warm, wind blocker, some makes have a racy fit (not Castelli anymore). Waterproof? Hell no! And will not fit in any pocket.

All these and similar items are fine for a light, short duration shower but if you want to stay dry and not suffocate, only shakedry does the job.

In my experience, at race pace, anything waterproof, including ShakeDry will be suffocating. OK for descending, and fine for torrential rain. But if you are going hard, maybe just a Gabba short sleeve and embrace the wet. For epic riding, training, etc. Shakedry is it.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If the race is long enough and it's actually raining, then you're going to be wet and cold regardless IMO. Chasing dryness anywhere besides your feet is and exercise in futility. In a 4 hour race in freezing rain I wore thermal leg warmers, arm warmers, a summer base and a light windvest under my San Remo. I used Castelli Perfetto Max gloves and long-cuffed Velotoze 2.0 with my shoes' vents taped up and duct tape wrapped around the cuff of the Velotoze. Other than my feet, my entire body was soaked, but it didn't matter once we hit race pace. I was comfortable enough.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I have the Castelli Idro 2 and I found it flaps around a lot. I recently got the Gore Race Shakedry and it's much better in terms of fit.

I still keep the Castelli around in case I'm wearing thicker kit as the Gore jacket is very tight. Both of them are stellar at protecting against wind and most especially rain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com