What if you got a bike for free (what would it be)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Lina wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:54 am
Probably the RSL Domane. No way am I paying that much for a frame though.
Why would you choose this particular bike though? What is it that would make you spend someone elses money on that, with Trek written on it, rather than on something else with a different name on the downtube?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lina

by Lina

RTW wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 12:17 pm
Lina wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:54 am
Probably the RSL Domane. No way am I paying that much for a frame though.
Why would you choose this particular bike though? What is it that would make you spend someone elses money on that, with Trek written on it, rather than on something else with a different name on the downtube?
Because the geometry is pretty much what I'd like if I could do custom. I don't care what it says on the downtube.

usr

by usr

Add me to the list of people who'd put Festka high on the list! But in reality, I'd either be one of those annoying "whatever sells the most expensive, then buy with a certain balance of reason and irrationality" persons or I'd make "how expensive will spare parts be that aren't tragic downgrades" a part of my consideration. Most of the appeal in expensive stuff is in the commitment that comes with spending the money, and the particular way you find your personal balance between reason and rationality and that free pick scenario wouldn't really have any of that. Might as well go practical about it, ease of maintenance, spares availability and so on.

apr46

by apr46

If it was an off the shelf bike: Domane RSL with Sram Red in a Size 52 with the Aerocoach Ornix Handlebars or the Enve Aero bars I already have. I would probably keep running the Ascent Polaris wheels as well.

If I could dream, it would be a bike with the same geometry as my self designed ti bike but made with aero tubing. Either something like the foil shaped tubes that Wittson uses or 3d printed lugs with glued in carbon tubes. For a fork, I would want the new 50mm offset 3T ICR fork from their Strada vs. the old fork I currently have. Also would use Sram Red and the same wheels, but would have custom 48/33 chainrings made + a narrow road handlebars. In my dream life, Enve would make a 33/38 bar or Tred would finally release the the road bars they have teased.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Lina wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 4:31 pm
Because the geometry is pretty much what I'd like if I could do custom. I don't care what it says on the downtube.
Makes sense to me!

rajMAN

by rajMAN

RTW wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 4:03 pm
rajMAN wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 9:27 am
For free you say? I'm thinking Custom Battaglin, SR mechanical, Hyperons and mull over the finishing kit.
Why Hyperons? I am thinking BORA WTOs for the SV above.
[/quote
The depth, at 37mm I consider looks great on a steel build. They are a "climbers" wheel at 1240g so lighter than the nearest depth Bora. They look sensational and as we all know the latest is the greatest! Oh, and someone else is paying. :D

* Sorry RTW, this is in reply to your question.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Got you....

I was thinking, 'that's great, I'll get them for the SV', but they are disc only. Oh well.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

alexneumuller wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 1:39 pm
I often ask myself the same question, as the oppertunities are endless, as are the options and availability.

Let me start by saying that for me there is no dream bike for me. There are bikes that I find utterly fascinating from a production process, but which I don't enjoy riding. Then there are bikes that are high-end straight from the LBS, that are utterly fantastic riding bikes, but which create absolute no emotions in me. And then there are bikes, that are custom from the ground up, which not only ride like a dream, but also look beautiful.

Generally speaking my requirements are .... custom geometry, story behind the bike company, production style, paintjob, and fitting the right components to do the bike justice, and that work for me. I don't care if it is a small custom bike company, or a large one, or if it takes two years to complete. But what I have realised that the majority of bikes that come straight from the shop, and that are not customs, are all good/great bikes, and the only difference is really the geometry, and your contact points to the bike. Otherwise I don't really see any differences.

So where does that leave me, in what I want. What is still on my list of bikes that I really want, and have not placed an order for.......probably a Stelbel, and a Finnbar Trout Cycles. And yes both steel. Why? I can't really say why, as I for one a Stelbel always gets mentioned fropm a lot of people, and the Finnbar Trout Cycles, as it is relative new, and relative local to me. But what would i add for components......I m a sucker for continuity....I don't like trying out new saddles, so it is always a Prologo Zero C3 CPC. I love the Extralite stem, so it is a common theme across my bike fleet. And groupsets.....I care, but then I don't care. It will always be DA Di2, or AXS Red, and if I want to go more classic, it will most of the time only be SRAM RED Mechanical. I tend to actually go hunting for new SRAM RED Mechnical Components online. Wheels .... well I have tried a lot of them....Zipp, Enve, Lightweight, HED, DT Swiss, Princeton, 3T, Mavic, Campagnolo, Nextie, Partington, and a few other ones. And as amazing as a lot of them are ...... I actually like two the most....and those are the Lightweight Meilenstein Evo Disc, and the DT Swiss PR 1400 DICUT 21 OXiC. And yes, they are in the bike technology of today, a little old fashioned, with rather narrow rims, and aweful aero properties. But I love them.

Past Bikes:
My favorite bikes in the past, that I regretted selling the most, where actually straight from the LBS, or in one case online. It was a C60 rimbrake, 2017 Cannondale SuperSix Evo rimbrake, and a 2015 Canyon Aeroad, and honerable mention goes to a Specialized Venge. But I have tried plenty of others.....plenty that were aweful, and plenty that were okay.

Current Bikes: See my signature.....I think that gives a good insight. But favorite ...... that is not actually that hard.....my Speedvagen Steel Rimbrake from 2017. Love it some much. So much, that I m waiting for delivery on a second one, for a second home. And I m so obsessed by its qualities, and to prove that it is utterly amazing, I have ordered a Speedvagen Steel for RTW (previous comment), under the conditions that it needs to be rimbrake, steel, suprise paint and mechanical groupset. He also got my old SL6 from me, and I got us SL7s with matching custom paintjobs. Simply, as I want him to experience those bikes, that sure he could buy himself, but would not. That is not taking away anything from my others, all which are bikes that fantastic in everyway, but either they are missing something little, or I have not yet put enough miles into them.

So what am I saying: Your favorite bike, is only your favorite bike, until your next favorite bike. For me it is a never ending circle. And I am very fortunate to be able to try out pretty much anything on the bike, and yes I pay full price and have the same waiting lists as everybody else.

So for the future this is happening: Vanilla Cycles Classic, Speedvagen Steel Rim 2023, Bastion Archangel, Jaegher Ascender are either ordered, or deposit paid for.
You have an amazing catalogue of bikes now and in the past. I must say on your new list, Bastion is the one that i would go for.
Do you have it delivered fully built, or will you fiddle with it yourself?
A custom bike would really be a dream, but it just doesn't work out for everybody (well, if we clone ourselves and have 10 worker bees).

You also have that Italian company Exept, but i guess it's not really an esoteric bike. Though it is custom and in Europe so i have always been kind of curious.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Thank you. I love my current Bastion which is the Demon Project, and the Bastion that is coming will be fully build when delivered. I don't tend to fiddle to much with my bikes, as I m a pretty useless mechanic. Although I have managed to build a complete bike from scratch, which was fully working. But nowadays I have a fantastic mechanic on speed dial, and he does pickups/dropoffs.

In reality some custom bikes have not been that amazing as expected, but I think that is the risk you take sometimes. Same as when you upgrade for example from the SL6 to SL7 or C60 to C64. Both of which I thought felt not like upgrades.

I have heard of Exept, but it has not been on my list as yet. And their website does not seem to have an English option. So all a little hard to understand. Custom Fully Carbon have not always worked well for me.

[/quote]
You have an amazing catalogue of bikes now and in the past. I must say on your new list, Bastion is the one that i would go for.
A custom bike would really be a dream, but it just doesn't work out for everybody (well, if we clone ourselves and have 10 worker bees).

You also have that Italian company Exept, but i guess it's not really an esoteric bike. Though it is custom and in Europe so i have always been kind of curious.
[/quote]
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

alexneumuller wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 3:15 pm
Thank you. I love my current Bastion which is the Demon Project, and the Bastion that is coming will be fully build when delivered. I don't tend to fiddle to much with my bikes, as I m a pretty useless mechanic. Although I have managed to build a complete bike from scratch, which was fully working. But nowadays I have a fantastic mechanic on speed dial, and he does pickups/dropoffs.

In reality some custom bikes have not been that amazing as expected, but I think that is the risk you take sometimes. Same as when you upgrade for example from the SL6 to SL7 or C60 to C64. Both of which I thought felt not like upgrades.

I have heard of Exept, but it has not been on my list as yet. And their website does not seem to have an English option. So all a little hard to understand. Custom Fully Carbon have not always worked well for me.

[/quote]
[/quote]

So from Demon to AA, i don't really get what you look for? Aren't they more alike than not?

Oh, i believe you, custom can probably be a bit of a blunder. I wonder if you had been telling a custom builder, i want this carbon frameset to ride like my *** steel bike, do you think it had been pleasing you more?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.