What if you got a bike for free (what would it be)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

The ridiculous question, what if you got a bike, a ready specified off the shelf or decide components yourself.
You didn't have to pay for it. Would you still get the same bike, or would you go for something more esoteric?
Do you have that nagging itch to try what a full blown aero gives you?
The super light ww:ism project?
Or would you pick a Bastion, Argonaut or something?
Maybe an E-MTB, with dropbar and lightweight wheels just because it's so messed up?

What would you pick and why?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Components wise I already have whatever I could dream of, in the end, components are not thaaaat expensive even if it is THM, red axs etc. Anyone can buy the fanciest parts on the market. Apart from Bikeahead wheels at 4000 euro.

But I would definitely aim for a frame that I otherwise could never justify of purchasing at MSRP. Pinarello Dogma F, Reilly Fusion titanium aero, custom made titanium frame from Sturdy Cycles.

Of course with a $2000 custom paint / anodizing job.

Any frame over $4000 is too much imo. But those dream frames are over $10K which is unreal for a casual rider.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jayjay

by jayjay

A Festka with custom geo, fancy paint and fancy parts :D

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

How about the BMC Masterpiece?

eucalyptus, i don't agree talking components.
Latest Campa EPS, Wove V8 saddle, and as you say, wheels. Check Lightweight Fernweg EVO 63, or anything custom with Gokiso hubs!!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Aress

by Aress

Festka scalatore+custom geo+Isp+full custom paint+ super EPS+Darimo/THM everything+lighweights+rim brake because thats the only way i could justify getting a rimbrake bike today

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Thought about this and strange, but I think it would be exactly the bike that I have, right down to the wheel choice and 9170 DA. Perhaps because I know that it works for me. I really doubt some boutique custom geo bike would perform better.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 3:28 pm
Thought about this and strange, but I think it would be exactly the bike that I have, right down to the wheel choice and 9170 DA. Perhaps because I know that it works for me. I really doubt some boutique custom geo bike would perform better.
Nice bike! What wheels are those?
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Interesting question......I could see myself going for an S-Works SL7, Factor Ostro such as the fine example above, but since I don't have a Specialized or Factor dealer within a couple of hours drive, I'd probably go with Cannondale's new SuperSix Evo, maybe in Lab71 spec, though a regular Hi-Mod frame would be a little more incognito. I'd probably go with 40cm bars rather than the 42's that come spec'd for my size, 170mm cranks, an 11-34 cassette, 140mm rotors, latex tubes, and tan wall GP5000's instead of the black walls it comes with.

If anyone wants to gift me with any of the above bikes please PM me!
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

nickf

by nickf

Allied BC40, Darimo one-piece bar/stem combo, Darimo post, full Eagle AXS transmission, Fox Factory fork/shock, Trickstuff Piccola brakes, Lightbicycle DT180 w/flyweight front-standard rear CX925 wheels, maxxis recon race 2.4.

I wouldn't change my current fleet road/gravel fleet. No road bike out there catches my attention over my Enghish builds.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Didn't Colnago used to do a thing where you could fly to Cambiago, meet with Ernesto, and have him take your measurements? Then Colnago would build that bike.

Something like:
https://pezcyclingnews.com/technspec/pe ... eme-power/

I would 100% want a custom Colnago measured by the man himself. And I'd enjoy my vacation in Italy as well. :)

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I'd get the bike I could sell for the most money ... then sell it.

I could then continue using existing bikes, or buy a bike I wanted where price is a consideration.

AJS914

by AJS914

There's was probably a time when I might have drooled over that Extreme Power but not I just find those over the top bikes from that era a little annoying. White tires! Come on!!

With someone else paying, I'd probably get a bike I wouldn't normally treat myself to. I always thought the idea of a custom Sarto would be nice. I'm just not willing to spend a $7000 frameset or $3000 on wheels or $5000 on a groupset no matter how much money is in my bank account.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

AJS914 wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 10:12 pm
There's was probably a time when I might have drooled over that Extreme Power...
It's definitely garish, but I like the story as part of the bike: "I went to Italy on vacation. Ernesto himself measured me and Colnago built it FOR ME!!!... then we had wine and pasta!" :D

If asked what my favorite bike is, I'd prolly say: Bastion.

Chlorophyll15

by Chlorophyll15

I would get the most expensive bike in the world (probably something gold plated, practically unrideable, gifted to the Pope or the butterfly Madone), sell it and build 3-4 bikes for each riding discipline I do, with enough spare cash to keep them running for a decade or so, and maybe the odd cycling trip.

I jest. If I were to answer the OP's question properly, it would probably be a fully tricked-out TT bike, like the Cervelo P5 or Orbea Ordu, custom-painted with aerobar extensions custom molded to my fit and forearms. It has to have 12 speed Di2, of course, 150mm crank arms with a powermeter, as well as a deep section front and full disc rear wheelset.

If I could request wind-tunnel testing together as a package I'd happily claim that too. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

Probably a custom made Pegoretti with EPS as I still regret not buying one when I had the chance 2 years ago.