This Guy HATES Modern Bikes - Can We Change His Mind?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ichobi

by ichobi

An interesting anecdote i have - a well off friend who has many modern bikes - sl7, ss evo 4, venge, etc compared his time from these bike to his custom ti Bastion which by no means is aero nor lighter than his carbon superbikes. Yet he beats all his koms on the Bastion both on 2-3 hours climb and also on a flat. All bikes have similar geometry and positioning. This is no new bike effect given he rides the bastion for over a year in between his other carbon bikes yet the same result stands repeatedly. Same wheels same tires.

Bastion has a custom geo altho i dont see it differs that much from his carbon bikes.

He himself said he can exert himself much better on the Bastion. May be that’s the reason. Probably due to custom geo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

centhar

by centhar

ichobi wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:56 am
An interesting anecdote i have - a well off friend who has many modern bikes - sl7, ss evo 4, venge, etc compared his time from these bike to his custom ti Bastion which by no means is aero nor lighter than his carbon superbikes. Yet he beats all his koms on the Bastion both on 2-3 hours climb and also on a flat. All bikes have similar geometry and positioning. This is no new bike effect given he rides the bastion for over a year in between his other carbon bikes yet the same result stands repeatedly. Same wheels same tires.

Bastion has a custom geo altho i dont see it differs that much from his carbon bikes.

He himself said he can exert himself much better on the Bastion. May be that’s the reason. Probably due to custom geo.
Hate to whip out this cliche... But proven, time and time again.

It's not the Bike, it's the Rider

But marketing says otherwise. Many are duped into a modern bike, shelling out big $$$$ beliving it is better, faster, so it must be true. Also, thank god for rolling in planned obsolence. The death of the industry will take much longer, than sooner.

blutto

by blutto

centhar wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:31 pm
ichobi wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:56 am

Hate to whip out this cliche... But proven, time and time again.

It's not the Bike, it's the Rider

But marketing says otherwise. Many are duped into a modern bike, shelling out big $$$$ beliving it is better, faster, so it must be true. Also, thank god for rolling in planned obsolence. The death of the industry will take much longer, than sooner.
....yeah agree with your closing sentiments but in this case the rider is the constant and variables are the frames, both "modern" and not, and there is a definite reproducible result that doesn't play to your cliche.....and my quick drive-by takeaway is this result seems to indicate the old school frame smokes the "modern" stuff....or maybe, just maybe, this particular rider has an affinity for that one frame that borders on magic...but I'm kinda sorta possibly leaning towards the idea that the modern designs may have lost the plot on some essential design elements in their rush to build shiny new product whose only real purpose is that it has a good marketing hook....

Cheers

ichobi

by ichobi

For context he isn’t any fitter during the whole yearHe’s a normal casual enthusiast. Too many variables and may be he just like Bastion better so he exerts more on that bike.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

ichobi wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:42 am
For context he isn’t any fitter during the whole yearHe’s a normal casual enthusiast. Too many variables and may be he just like Bastion better so he exerts more on that bike. Image

The whole question is moot unless he rides with power. Custom geo is probably working for him and he can put more power out/be in a more aero position