Selling stuff, where?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hello!

Looked at selling some stuff (in EU), Ebay seemed the choice, but a fast look up and i already get headache.
I ready something about filling in tax forms and that is to much overkill IMO.
Are there any more straight forward places?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

bmrk

by bmrk

Why not here ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wooger

by wooger

bmrk wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:24 pm
Why not here ?
Because most on this site are not in the EU, and shipping /tax is prohibitive - not to mention the insanity of buying used bikes sight unseen.

By far the best way in the UK, for goods that you're not going to post, is Facebook Marketplace - cross posted to local / regional / national cycling groups & sales groups.

eBay & Paypal will take nearly 20% of your selling price - and you have to accept paypal payments. Worth it maybe if you have a rare niche item that needs the maximum reach to find a buyer OR can be posted cheaply around the world. For wheels and most bikes it's ridiculous though.

Omiar

by Omiar

Facebook Marketplace?
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

ms6073

by ms6073

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:23 pm
I ready something about filling in tax forms and that is to much overkill IMO.
Pretty sure that is a US requirement and does not impact someone selling outside of the US. As has already been mentioned, unless you sell a tremendous amount of goods, between Ebay and PayPal fees, the associated costs are getting to be outrageous.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Yeah, i went with Ebay even though as mentioned above, they take alot of money + paypal which i mostly always use, have earned very much on all my purchases.
I've almost always paid with paypal and have been sinking crazy money into hobbies for 25 years.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

eins4eins

by eins4eins

As you're german also, ebay-kleinanzeigen.de would be my go-to. Not quite international, but i sold many bikes parts all over europe through the site.
It seems to become more popular in the east especially. Lots of contacts from CZ, Slovenia, Poland, etc lately.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Pinkbike is the way to go - even for the nerdiest roadie stuff. I don't even bother with anywhere else now.
Maybe the Paceline forum too

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I have recently sold something on ebay. Their fees, policies etc are ridiculous. Don't do this.

Ebay-kleinanzeigen is nice and while I'm based in Poland I've bought from there a few times with no issues. For Poland I use olx.pl and I believe they have similar sites in other countries.

Fb marketplace is ok if you know the right groups to advertise in. Otherwise it can be a mess, but comes for free so probably worth trying.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

bobones

by bobones

The trick with eBay is to wait for one of the relatively frequent discounted selling fee weekend offers before listing. I used to regularly get selling fees limited to £1, but now an 80% discount seems to be all they offer me. Only then are the fees in any way palitable. Facebook marketplace is one alternative, and at least here in the UK and Scotland, there are quite a few FB groups dedicated to selling bikes and bike parts that seem very popular. BikeRadar forums also seems to have a healthy marketplace section.

wooger

by wooger

bobones wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:52 pm
The trick with eBay is to wait for one of the relatively frequent discounted selling fee weekend offers before listing. I used to regularly get selling fees limited to £1, but now an 80% discount seems to be all they offer me. Only then are the fees in any way palitable. Facebook marketplace is one alternative, and at least here in the UK and Scotland, there are quite a few FB groups dedicated to selling bikes and bike parts that seem very popular. BikeRadar forums also seems to have a healthy marketplace section.
Paypal fees (and you now have to accept Paypal payments) are massive too and aren't discounted.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I never thought it would be so much questions of a Etap groupset. Mostly people ask if i can ship it to USA, Africa, Australia.
Ofcourse i can, but it cost quite much and i don't fully get Ebays form for calculating shipping fees.
I think it is strangely expensive to as they really offer nothing special.
How the hell can people set up Ebay shops?
I really have lots of saddles, handlebars yada yada. It must be well above 1000 Euro for stuff laying here.
Selling from a dealership is easy, but as a private person it's clearly more hassle.
It's so expensive to ship from here.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

bobones

by bobones

wooger wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:56 am
bobones wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:52 pm
Paypal fees (and you now have to accept Paypal payments) are massive too and aren't discounted.
For the last few things I sold, payments were handled by eBay and paid directly into my bank account, not through Paypal, so there were no Paypal fees for me.

bobones

by bobones

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:55 am
I never thought it would be so much questions of a Etap groupset. Mostly people ask if i can ship it to USA, Africa, Australia.
Ofcourse i can, but it cost quite much and i don't fully get Ebays form for calculating shipping fees.
I think it is strangely expensive to as they really offer nothing special.
How the hell can people set up Ebay shops?
I really have lots of saddles, handlebars yada yada. It must be well above 1000 Euro for stuff laying here.
Selling from a dealership is easy, but as a private person it's clearly more hassle.
It's so expensive to ship from here.
You don't have to use use eBay for shipping especially if you have cheaper alternatives, but I agree, selling anything is a PITA, so I just tend to just hoard stuff :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I had to cut my listing. The shipping prices i had was totally off. They didn't even handle my box as it was too large and they did a faulty calculation.
I checked another sight gathering shipping companies costs.
The shipping was like 70-150% more than i had listed, i could simply not offer that.
It should be possible to sell stuff with a chance to give people correct prices. I couldn't get these through ebays list.
Flat rate wasn't even close. Imagine selling for 100 USD shipping and you end up with a shipping fee of 400 USD (yeah, i had requests which costed that much)
In my add i asked for 100 USD.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)