New bike purchase, obsessing over options, join me!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

inertianinja

by inertianinja

This post will not be my best work, but I'm looking to chat about this bike purchase and get some ideas. I had a crash last year, so I'm looking a new bike this year. Let's obsess about options!

Current bike is a Factor Ostro VAM. My #2 bike since 2018 was an open mold FM-066. Light, not-aero, snappy, aggressive, cheap. Last July, a dog ran out in front of me, causing a crash, so I'm retiring the FM-066 and looking for a new bike. So, for its replacement, I'm looking for something very different from the Ostro, a light climbing bike.

I'm considering:

* Specialized Aethos - This is my frontrunner. It's hard to imagine frames getting much lighter than the Aethos; I'm thinking it might be cool to get a frameset, build it with non-TOTL components and leave room for upgrades. No info on 2023 models/colorways, except for the S-Works frameset in blue. I'm thinking of just getting a RTP/black, maybe doing custom paint someday.

* Scott Addict RC - No experience with this bike other than reviews, but I saw the maroon/matte gray colorway on the new Addict RC 10 and it looks amazing.

* Cervelo Soloist - Nostalgia for me. I loved my 2007 Soloist, but the seatpost wouldn't stop slipping, so I had to sell it. Interested in the bike, but not the current colorways.

* Cervelo R5 - Known great bike. Honestly I'm hoping to land on something different.

* Another open mold frame - I liked the cheapness of the FM-066, so I thought about getting an open-mold version of the Aethos like the WCB-R-366 or similar. I think I'm done with open mold frames for now, though.

Any thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bmrk

by bmrk

Winspace slc 2.0? Seems to check all the boxes.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

bmrk wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:58 pm
I was looking at that, actually. Maybe SLC2.0 + Hypers.
I saw on Chinacycling's youtube channel that they made a minor update for 2023.
I'd end up on a Size L with a long stem and some spacers.

One practical advantage that the Aethos has, for me, is the threaded BB. After living with BB30 i'd prefer not to go pressfit again.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

How about the new basso diamante?

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

inertianinja

by inertianinja

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:33 pm
How about the new basso diamante?

Basso Diamante eps 12
I've always thought that bike looked awesome slammed. No US dealers though?

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Defo a few guys on here in the states with bassos.
One of the moderators max and also nismosr

The new diamante has a different headtube/stem. But the framset weight is very attractive. Someone on here recently weighed the framset and posted it worth a look.

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

misteryellow

by misteryellow

Look 785 Huez RS. However a Basso as a fellow poster recommended would be awesome too. Another option is a Time Alpe d'Huez. The paint quality on Look bikes is top notch but nothing seems to match a Time Alpe d'huez. Hell, I would get it in the pink color too.
''Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It will add unnecessary complexity with little, if any, real benefit. Part of the beauty of this sport is the lack of hand holding & arse wiping.'' - ultimobici

Beancouter

by Beancouter

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:Defo a few guys on here in the states with bassos.

The new diamante has a different headtube/stem. But the framset weight is very attractive. Someone on here recently weighed the framset and posted it worth a look.

Basso Diamante eps 12
Still waiting for my black basso diamante to arrive; keeping my fingers crossed that the frame is sub 800g in a56 with hangers. Built with DA9270 should be about 6.2kg.

As a Supersix fan, I think it pays homage to the mk 1/2/3; flat top tube, no dropped stays(… well almost!), round tubes … but with snappy handling (hoping it rides like the aethos which I loved) ….

Library photo….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

s3si1u

by s3si1u

I'll always advocate for custom paint jobs, so my vote goes for RTP Aethos :) Honestly it sounds like it ticks your boxes better than any of the other options.
Also gonna mention the SLC 2.0 as others did, light like the Aethos and comes with a BB86.

bmrk

by bmrk

inertianinja wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:13 pm
bmrk wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:58 pm
I was looking at that, actually. Maybe SLC2.0 + Hypers.
I saw on Chinacycling's youtube channel that they made a minor update for 2023.
I'd end up on a Size L with a long stem and some spacers.

One practical advantage that the Aethos has, for me, is the threaded BB. After living with BB30 i'd prefer not to go pressfit again.
The Aethos in my opinion is overly priced and on of my friends that ride the s-works version complains about it not being stiff. I understand the practicality of the threaded BB but Winspace have been known for good tolerances in the pressfit area.

Most of the SLC 2.0 reviews out there (and here on WW) point it as a light, stiff and nimble race bike. I am just waiting to have a good enough reason to pull the trigger on a superlight black.

calleking

by calleking

Beancouter wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:24 pm
MrCurrieinahurry wrote:Defo a few guys on here in the states with bassos.

Basso Diamante eps 12
Still waiting for my black basso diamante to arrive; keeping my fingers crossed that the frame is sub 800g in a56 with hangers. Built with DA9270 should be about 6.2kg.

As a Supersix fan, I think it pays homage to the mk 1/2/3; flat top tube, no dropped stays(… well almost!), round tubes … but with snappy handling (hoping it rides like the aethos which I loved) ….

Library photo….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, love the aesthetics of it. It's also light. How is the ride?
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Perhaps you want to look here:

viewtopic.php?t=171773

Elilee Blize

robeambro

by robeambro

Unpopular comment but, if you want a climbing bike, a 1200g wheelset for the Ostro is the "best bike". It's already fairly light (probably in line with others like the R5 and Addict), so I am not really sure what you'd gain from purchasing another frameset. The Aethos is a nice frame, but if I was going that way (and I owned one) I'd rather go Crux to have even more options.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

robeambro wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:49 am
Unpopular comment but, if you want a climbing bike, a 1200g wheelset for the Ostro is the "best bike". It's already fairly light (probably in line with others like the R5 and Addict), so I am not really sure what you'd gain from purchasing another frameset. The Aethos is a nice frame, but if I was going that way (and I owned one) I'd rather go Crux to have even more options.
Fair point, although I do want an N+1.

I was thinking of doing exactly this - just getting a light low-profile wheelset and having them swappable between the bikes, but I'm holding off in case buying a complete bike ends up making more sense than buying wheels/frameset separately.

re: the Crux - eh, I really have no use for gravel bikes. I'm in NYC, there are no trails around that I can take advantage of. On some level this is good, as it relieves me of the burden of wanting a gravel bike :)
Last edited by inertianinja on Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

smartyiak wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:39 am
Perhaps you want to look here:

viewtopic.php?t=171773

Elilee Blize
Interesting, i'll watch that thread. If i'm honest I'd prefer it without any branding, the "Elilee Blize" just looks like random sounds to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com