Large UK distributor goes into administration. 35,000 bikes to be auctioned.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Bravo73

by Bravo73

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/3500 ... nistration

“Around 35,000 bikes will be auctioned off over the coming weeks as part of the administration of major cycling distributor Moore Large.

The long-standing British company, which was reported to have collapsed last week, is now selling off stock and assets valued at £35 million. The administrators, FRP advisory, have appointed Nottingham-based auction house John Pye & Sons to deal with the sales.

Of the stock being sold, there are around 35,000 bikes, valued at £25 million, as well as cycling accessories including clothing and helmets.

Moore Large previously stocked an array of brands, including Forme, Lake, Microshift, Barracuda and Vitesse, all of which are likely to turn up in auction lots.

“This is an opportunity for enthusiasts to potentially secure some big names bikes and accessories at a great price,” said Charles Loake, joint head of John Pye Business & Property. “We have the systems and knowledge in place to ensure we can sell the Moore Large & Co. stock with the highest level of efficiency and return for its creditors.”

Moore Large has been involved in cycling for more than 70 years, and was the subject of a management buyout in April 2022.

Speaking to DerbyshireLive (opens in new tab), company director Adam Briggs noted that “significant discounts” after the Covid boom were a key factor of the brand’s collapse.

“Big demand led to a big increase in supply,” he said. “Then the supply caught up and lots of stock arrived in the first quarter of 2022. There was a year’s worth of bikes arriving in the UK at the same time which meant there was a massive oversupply.

“That triggered significant discounts at every level between 30% and 50%. People were still buying bikes but not at a fast enough rate for us to cover our costs.”

Moore Large’s stock will be gradually added to John Pye’s website (opens in new tab), with online auctions commencing this Friday 24 March. Home delivery in the UK is available for all lots.

“It has been a very difficult time after we all worked so hard to save Moore Large,” Briggs said. “To all the staff, I really can’t thank them enough for their loyalty and commitment.”

Currently, a skeleton staff is being kept on at the Derby-based company to deal with the administrative process. It has been said that over 100 people are set to lose their jobs.”
2011 S-Works Tarmac SL3 (ex-Team Highroad)
2023 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bravo73

by Bravo73

Here is the link to the auction site:

https://www.johnpye.co.uk/moorelarge/
2011 S-Works Tarmac SL3 (ex-Team Highroad)
2023 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I don't know whether the £25 million is retail or wholesale, but most of these bikes must not be the typical bike favored by the WW reader.

Around 35,000 bikes valued at £25 million, is around £714 per bike on average, equivalent to USD877 per bike. In other words, these are some cheap @$$ bikes. Perhaps there's a relatively small number of much higher priced bikes contributing to that average.

otnemem

by otnemem

Gonna get myself one pair of Lake shoes for each day of the week, bitches.

/s

Aress

by Aress

Can you bid if you are outside the UK ?

I'm in france so not to far

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

otnemem wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:55 pm
Gonna get myself one pair of Lake shoes for each day of the week, bitches.

/s
Lakes not included apparently, as far as I know they pulled their stock and have gone direct to the UK

otnemem

by otnemem

Damn it, and I had already made up the space in the closet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com