Escape Collective to Replace Cycling Tips

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

guyc wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:40 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:21 am
citrusparty wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:56 am
Glad to see that they're back, but I'm slightly worried they've brought on too many people for a startup. Thoughts?
way too much overhead
I doubt very much whether they're all on staff, but will instead act as freelance contributors. No way would they be able sustain salaried.
I think you are right, I imagine it's a handful of core staff + freelancers.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

C36 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:08 pm
Thanks for correcting, then need to look what was force and what was rival but even saying “it just isn’t the prettiest of groupsets, to say the least” and say “it is absolutely horrendous” there is a league of difference.
Dude, you're really clutching at straws here. They very obviously did say the thing you accused them of not saying.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I was reading this article and it appears that Outside Inc purchased a boatload of mags which would make me think that if they are controlling everything well hopefully not micromanaging but they will have policies in place which means everything under that umbrella will basically say the same thing when it comes to testing and reporting articles. Why would anyone subscribe to that?
https://coloradosun.com/2023/03/03/esca ... s-outside/
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

C36 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:08 pm
ultimobici wrote:
C36 wrote:
thebikemanguy wrote: I just went back and re-read the original Force AXS review on CT and the aesthetics were criticized there too.
You got me curious since that’s something I usually have good memory for but that is what was published:

2021 at launch: “I have to tip my hat to SRAM for putting in the effort to make Rival AXS look good with its polished and black anodized finish”

Versus 2023 when it’s about of being replaced: “it looks absolutely terrible” and “it was absolutely horrendous”.

I it is crap I am expecting them to say it is terrible, not a “well others do better” or some sort of soft phrasing.
That’s Rival. This is what they wrote about Force.
“Unfortunately, that budget look carries through elsewhere, too; it just isn’t the prettiest of groupsets, to say the least. It’s just a bit too utilitarian and industrial-looking to me; the sort of groupset I imagine Bruce Wayne might use if he was having a night off from driving the Batmobile around.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for correcting, then need to look what was force and what was rival but even saying “it just isn’t the prettiest of groupsets, to say the least” and say “it is absolutely horrendous” there is a league of difference.
We're absolutely splitting hairs now. Also from the same original review:

"The chainset, however, was yet again another item that went about its job without a problem, at least in terms of function. But aesthetically, I don’t think SRAM has made it look premium enough given its second-rung position in the product ladder. In fact, it looks a bit cheap."

"One not-so-welcome difference? Sorry, SRAM, the matte grey-on-black finish of Force eTap AXS might look stealthy to some eyes, but it mostly just looks budget-rate to mine, both in pictures and in person. And that plastic cover on the outer chainring only adds to the visual bulkiness while providing exactly zero functional benefit. But hey, beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that."

What more would you need them to write to convince you they're not pulling their punches? "It looks like dogshit"? It's a product review and they made it clear they didn't like the way it looked. I think there are plenty of valid criticisms of the Escape crew but not being critical enough in their past work surely isn't one of them.

blutto

by blutto

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:35 am
I was reading this article and it appears that Outside Inc purchased a boatload of mags which would make me think that if they are controlling everything well hopefully not micromanaging but they will have policies in place which means everything under that umbrella will basically say the same thing when it comes to testing and reporting articles. Why would anyone subscribe to that?
...thanks for the great article which helps explain some of background behind this ongoing CycleTips/Outside train wreck....
"Outside Inc. CEO Robin Thurston acquired 20 magazines, events and online media outlets in 2020 and 2021, using more than $150 million from venture capital investors keen on his idea of corralling dozens of magazine subscriptions, event discounts and access to trail apps in a single subscription called Outside Plus. "

"Thurston said the company’s investors were demanding profitability by fall 2023 and more investment was not an option until the fledgling media empire stemmed its losses. Hence the consolidation and layoffs, which included several writers and editors from CyclingTips, VeloNews and Pinkbike."
....so as with other aspects of the bike world seems big money has recently charged in to squeeze profits from an existing situation that was doing quite well on its own, and in so doing it joins big bike, and big internet stores to redefine an existing bike culture to more readily conform to their much more most immediate quarterly needs...and methinks, in the long term, us guys, the consumer, will suffer...

Cheers

blutto

by blutto

tarmackev wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:43 pm

Currently I find it hard to beat forums like this for everything I need.
....methinks you have to get out more...just sayin' eh..

Cheers

rollinslow

by rollinslow

They've hit 75% now!
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

blutto

by blutto

rollinslow wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:29 pm
They've hit 75% now!
Tres cool !

Cheers

rollinslow

by rollinslow

90%

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

CT already looks fluffy, other than keeping some (not all) of the old content onsite.

Just please tell me that the all-star lineup of Escape are on the same philosophical journo page, because if not there'd be too many cards for the house to stand.
That said, it does promise the kind of raw talent that Outside scoffs at.

P.S. I went on Peloton Magazine not knowing the current status, and after looking at headlines saw the Outside logo up at the top and promptly removed the bookmark.
The soul of cycling will never be co-opted.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

So they hit 100% in 1 week. Congrats to Escape.

Close the thread.... :beerchug:

Karvalo

by Karvalo

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:35 am
Yes, that is what everyone has been talking about for quite some time here.

For clarity, what's beong talked about here is subscribing to Escape. Escape is the completely independent new project that all the journalists who were made redundant or quit Cyclingtips/Outside (plus a few others and a bunch of photographers) have put together instead. No-one's talking about subscribing to Outside right now.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

So I am just wondering if all those that have the Escape subscription are enjoying it and do you think this is a better subscription than Cyclingnews? The price for CN is close @ $108 Can compared to $139 for Escape.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Singular

by Singular

I paid up. It is, for me, much money but it is a great initiative (and a stellar product).

guyc

by guyc

Yep. Enjoying it. Good writing, a nice breadth of articles and a very active Discord channel I dip in and out of when I have the time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com