Escape Collective to Replace Cycling Tips

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I didn't find the original website anything special, same with the podcast. I do hope they succeed as they all seem like nice people but i'll be giving it a while before I subscribe.
If there were honest reviews and they didn't avoid any talk of PED's or scandals then I'd be in. It would be nice to get genuine insights and news.

Currently I find it hard to beat forums like this for everything I need.

Poddle

by Poddle

I pay £72 for an annual subscription to Rouleur and more than half of that magazine is just blatant paid advertising nowadays, with no effort made to judge or assess products objectively. And Rouleur's podcast is a joke in that respect too.

So to swap that for actual independent journalism seems like a sensible idea.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Poddle wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:59 pm
I pay £72 for an annual subscription to Rouleur and more than half of that magazine is just blatant paid advertising nowadays, with no effort made to judge or assess products objectively. And Rouleur's podcast is a joke in that respect too.

So to swap that for actual independent journalism seems like a sensible idea.
I see the old Rouleur editor, Andy McGrath is part of the Escape Collective team. He's a good writer.

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

thirdsun wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:01 pm
C36 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:33 am
thirdsun wrote:
C36 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:57 am
I do find the 100€ mark quite optimistic, Tour charge 60€ for the digital magasine.
I'm very grateful for their measurements and aero tests but their reviews feel otherwise very light. Barely a paragraph about each bike.
I do value 10x more lab data than journalist feedback that always has a “?” on impartiality attached to their comments.
That's the problem. If a bike disappoints they should be able to come out and say that. They could also have a discussion with different reviewers and viewpoints. However at the end of the day they still rely on manufacturers sending them their bikes to test. I don't see how a lack of advertising can change that dependance...unless they are willing to go out and buy their own S-Works and Pinarellos to review.

And yes, I agree that we need more hard facts in addition to ride impressions. Again, I'm very grateful for Tour's testing. Nobody else seems to be able to pull it off. These days manufacturers won't even tell you what their bikes weigh.
If you read reviews on CT you'd have seen that these same journalists don't hold back when they dislike a bike. For example the Dogma F was heavily panned. I think it's easy to forget that the dependence goes both ways: in a crowded market bicycle manufacturers also *want* their products reviewed by someone like James Huang (widely considered one of the best in the biz) because a good review helps them stand out.

The best thing about a subscription model is that if you (and enough others) want more "hard" data then the incentives of the publication are 100% aligned with you.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm gonna wait and see on this one... some things I like and some I dont.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

C36

by C36

thebikemanguy wrote: If you read reviews on CT you'd have seen that these same journalists don't hold back when they dislike a bike. For example the Dogma F was heavily panned. I think it's easy to forget that the dependence goes both ways: in a crowded market bicycle manufacturers also *want* their products reviewed by someone like James Huang (widely considered one of the best in the biz) because a good review helps them stand out.
That was a very good example, very detailed, but the only one I recall.
I Just listen their latest podcast and during the talk about the new SRAM groupset, they mentioned the previous gen « looked absolutely terrible »… while I totally agree… I don’t recall CT previously saying this and saying it at the last minute of the game only makes me wonder, why wasn’t it raised during launch?

Those are the comments that annoy me, those gentle critics made to smooth the angles with the brands.
Last edited by C36 on Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronanmclaughlin

by ronanmclaughlin

As weight weenie long before I was a tech writer, I hear ye all on the hard data and facts. I am planning to include a hefty chunk more in my Escape Collective reviews. Currently working on finalising exactly how this will look. Stay tuned.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

C36 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:54 pm
thebikemanguy wrote: If you read reviews on CT you'd have seen that these same journalists don't hold back when they dislike a bike. For example the Dogma F was heavily panned. I think it's easy to forget that the dependence goes both ways: in a crowded market bicycle manufacturers also *want* their products reviewed by someone like James Huang (widely considered one of the best in the biz) because a good review helps them stand out.
I Just listen their latest podcast and during the talk about the new SRAM groupset, they mentioned the previous gen « looked absolutely terrible »… while I totally agree… I don’t recall CT previously saying this and saying it at the last minute of the game only makes me wonder, why wasn’t it raised during launch?

Those are the comments that annoy me, those gentle critics made to smooth the angles with the brands.
As far as I know, there is no new Cycling Tips podcast related to the new SRAM groupset. Am I reading your statement correctly? The Podcast went down the tubes when everyone quit last year.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

C36

by C36

rollinslow wrote:
C36 wrote:

As far as I know, there is no new Cycling Tips podcast related to the new SRAM groupset. Am I reading your statement correctly? The Podcast went down the tubes when everyone quit last year.
The former CT is running the podcast “the placeholders” and are the same team launching the “escape collective” we are discussing here.

https://podcasts.apple.com/fr/podcast/t ... 0602560729 (I liked it, prefer them talking technical than race coverage, but that’s my personal taste).

ronanmclaughlin wrote:As weight weenie long before I was a tech writer, I hear ye all on the hard data and facts. I am planning to include a hefty chunk more in my Escape Collective reviews. Currently working on finalising exactly how this will look. Stay tuned.
That would be great! Curious how you can do it with such a dispersed team but I like that you have it in mind!
Last edited by C36 on Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

C36 wrote:

I just went back and re-read the original Force AXS review on CT and the aesthetics were criticized there too.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Oh wow, had no idea the "placeholders" podcast even existed. Thanks C36
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

ronanmclaughlin wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:08 pm
As weight weenie long before I was a tech writer, I hear ye all on the hard data and facts. I am planning to include a hefty chunk more in my Escape Collective reviews. Currently working on finalising exactly how this will look. Stay tuned.
As someone who is in the cycling industry, this is appreciated. Keeps everyone honest.
Doing bike things.

C36

by C36

thebikemanguy wrote: I just went back and re-read the original Force AXS review on CT and the aesthetics were criticized there too.
You got me curious since that’s something I usually have good memory for but that is what was published (if I grabbed the same article as you):

2021 at launch: “I have to tip my hat to SRAM for putting in the effort to make Rival AXS look good with its polished and black anodized finish”

Versus 2023 when it’s about of being replaced: “it looks absolutely terrible” and “it was absolutely horrendous”.

I it is crap I am expecting them to say it is terrible, not a “well others do better” or some sort of soft phrasing.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

C36 wrote:
thebikemanguy wrote: I just went back and re-read the original Force AXS review on CT and the aesthetics were criticized there too.
You got me curious since that’s something I usually have good memory for but that is what was published:

2021 at launch: “I have to tip my hat to SRAM for putting in the effort to make Rival AXS look good with its polished and black anodized finish”

Versus 2023 when it’s about of being replaced: “it looks absolutely terrible” and “it was absolutely horrendous”.

I it is crap I am expecting them to say it is terrible, not a “well others do better” or some sort of soft phrasing.
That’s Rival. This is what they wrote about Force.
“Unfortunately, that budget look carries through elsewhere, too; it just isn’t the prettiest of groupsets, to say the least. It’s just a bit too utilitarian and industrial-looking to me; the sort of groupset I imagine Bruce Wayne might use if he was having a night off from driving the Batmobile around.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

ultimobici wrote:
C36 wrote:
You got me curious since that’s something I usually have good memory for but that is what was published:

That’s Rival. This is what they wrote about Force.
“Unfortunately, that budget look carries through elsewhere, too; it just isn’t the prettiest of groupsets, to say the least. It’s just a bit too utilitarian and industrial-looking to me; the sort of groupset I imagine Bruce Wayne might use if he was having a night off from driving the Batmobile around.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for correcting, then need to look what was force and what was rival but even saying “it just isn’t the prettiest of groupsets, to say the least” and say “it is absolutely horrendous” there is a league of difference.