Escape Collective to Replace Cycling Tips

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

thirdsun

by thirdsun

ultimobici wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:22 pm
thirdsun wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:27 am
uppis wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:07 am
List of the journalist for the lazy, the lineup is pretty solid.

Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 9.04.33.png
They are getting the band back together! So nice to see James Huang back in there. Always valued his impressions.

Looking forward to this.
Still listed on CT website with Dave Everett. Is he moving too?
He resigned early february but probably still has a few days left at Cycling Tips: https://twitter.com/angryasian/status/1 ... 36355?s=20
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

rollinslow

by rollinslow

They updated the website to say 30% toward membership target. That's pretty solid in being open for 1 day. Hopefully word spreads and people get on board.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

angryasian wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:34 pm
Thanks to everyone for the interest and support! Definitely excited to see where this goes.
James - I was not going to sign up when it appeared you would not be part of it - however when you did confirm - I signed up.

I have enjoyed your writing for years - keep it up.

morrisond

by morrisond

rollinslow wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:43 pm
They updated the website to say 30% toward membership target. That's pretty solid in being open for 1 day. Hopefully word spreads and people get on board.
I'm member number 3417 and signed up 30 minutes ago. If that number corresponds with how many have signed up - yes they are on their way - it would seem like the target is 10,000 members.

guyc

by guyc

So they're looking for about $1m a year roughly.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

This is all very good news.

But what about the branding? Escape Collective. "Collective" OK, but I need help understanding the value of the "Escape" part. Maybe James or someone else from the organization can chime in. It will help us promote the site.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

FishNo6

by FishNo6

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:50 pm

But what about the branding? Escape Collective. "Collective" OK, but I need help understanding the value of the "Escape" part. Maybe James or someone else from the organization can chime in. It will help us promote the site.
I couldn't help you with the ins and outs of knee position while cornering, but I can have a good stab at this one:

The sense of being trapped in a very unpleasant place after the initial redundancies. The immediate resignations of half the writing staff. The collective 'think of the mortgage and the kids', the sigh, and the subsequent resignations of the remaining staff. Escape seems apt.

GaBa

by GaBa

That one is explained in their faqs. It's about escaping with cycling among other.

iscarrr

by iscarrr

Excited to see this get off the ground. Even after only an hour of the member only discord, it's been pretty interesting to see some early behind the scenes previews and discussion on up coming articles/pods etc.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

FishNo6 wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:01 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:50 pm

I couldn't help you with the ins and outs of knee position while cornering, but I can have a good stab at this one:

The sense of being trapped in a very unpleasant place after the initial redundancies. The immediate resignations of half the writing staff. The collective 'think of the mortgage and the kids', the sigh, and the subsequent resignations of the remaining staff. Escape seems apt.
I had the same thought but doubted it. Just seems kind of negative. Not the emotions you want tied to your brand.

Re knees, I'll be in the Pyrenees all August. Early in the month I'll be based in Girona, Pau later in the month, riding from one to the other mid month. Some huge loops planned 175 -200km, 4000m. Choose a date and we'll go for a ride :wink: I'll even buy you dinner. No BS, genuine offer.
GaBa wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:18 pm
That one is explained in their faqs. It's about escaping with cycling among other.
Didn't see that at first. Yes it covers the whole lot including escaping from previous employment. Interesting choice not to go with something evocative of cycling at a glance. Can have an effect on drawing search traffic.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

MRM

by MRM

The photographers are amazing. So is Cosmo Catalano. The podcast was garbage and based off of that and the CyclingTips website also never really blowing my boots off, I find it hard to justify paying for a site in hopes of it being good eventually. I wish them the very best of luck, but as I've mentioned here or on Bikerader forum plenty of times, the cycling media (in terms of race coverage and analysis) is so lacklustre and caters so utterly (only) to newbies, that I find it incredibly hard to take the leap of faith with them.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

MRM wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:32 am
The photographers are amazing. So is Cosmo Catalano. The podcast was garbage and based off of that and the CyclingTips website also never really blowing my boots off, I find it hard to justify paying for a site in hopes of it being good eventually. I wish them the very best of luck, but as I've mentioned here or on Bikerader forum plenty of times, the cycling media (in terms of race coverage and analysis) is so lacklustre and caters so utterly (only) to newbies, that I find it incredibly hard to take the leap of faith with them.
The tech podcast was (or is, because now it's basically the same thing under the new name) quite good, and I do find it interesting and useful. The racing coverage is a bit more hit or miss, but it's still a long way from being garbage. I'm not too fond of cycling media either, but Cyclingtips was overall quite decent, and the new site seems to be headed in the right direction.

I mean, right now probably the most successful competitor in the cycling media is GCN, and that actually is garbage. There's so much promoted content that they basically don't have an editorial line at all. So people trying to do things differently will always be good news.

MRM

by MRM

I respect the differing viewpoint, but what do they bring to the table that you can't get from here (for the tech stuff), Bikerader forum (for pro race talk), Lanterne Rouge for podcast & YouTube race coverage (previously How The Race Was Won by Cosmo Catalano) or The Move podcast for casual talk about pro cycling (from Bruyneel only mostly)? Chris Miller Cycling does the casual talk about all things cycling better as well (on YouTube).

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Over 50% toward their startup goal in about 24hrs according to the website.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

citrusparty

by citrusparty

Glad to see that they're back, but I'm slightly worried they've brought on too many people for a startup. Thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com