Chinese kit brands coming into their own?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Years ago I started experimenting with kit from Aliexpres, just because I wanted some cheap jerseys for early morning training rides. Back then they were usually crap-tier jerseys and bibs with junk chamois, printed to minic Rapha kit, with weird square fits.

Lately a few brands have come into their own with better (unique) designs, and fabrics that seem - to me - to be identical to kit from larger brands that I own. I'm finding it difficult to justify spending $200 for a solid-color jersey from a major brand lately....if the fabrics are (apparently) the same, the quality is the same, and it's a plain black jersey, why am I paying 5x-10x the price for the brand.

Spexcel for example, IMO has been killing it lately. Although I've had an occasional bad fit (recent wind jacket purchase had arms way too short for me), I probably wouldn't hesitate to keep buying from them.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

req110

by req110

inertianinja wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:58 pm
I'm finding it difficult to justify spending $200 for a solid-color jersey from a major brand lately...
Good jersey costs like 60 EUR - 80 EUR from Maap or Rapha. I have couple Rapha Pro Team training jerseys, i love them, they did cost me around 70-90 EUR.
With Rapha and Maap i also get

- higher resale value (you will never resell chinese jersey)
- killer customer support, if something goes wrong with jersey, i get the credit

update: there is actually no point in purchasing chinese kit.

assos equipe rs shorts = 160 eur
jersey = 60 eur each
socks = 15 eur

If one is on budget, he can purchase van rysel from decathlon. For example this https://www.decathlon.cz/p/pansky-cykli ... MODR%C3%81 is for same price as some chinese spexcel.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

inertianinja

by inertianinja

Well, first, we don't have those prices in the US. MAAP's cheapest jersey is $165 and Rapha's cheapest is $90. Even at 60EUR the math still doesn't work - 60EUR at the low end is still 3X the price of a *nice* Spexcel jersey, which *all else being equal* I think covers the resale/replacement concerns.

In any case, that isn't what i'm posting about. Rather, it's my impression that some chinese brands are no longer clearly garbage and/or bad clones, but instead seem to be using essentially the same fabrics.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

req110 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:08 pm

Good jersey costs like 60 EUR - 80 EUR from Maap or Rapha.

- higher resale value (you will never resell chinese jersey)
- killer customer support, if something goes wrong with jersey, i get the cred
Is resale value something you look for in cycling kit? I've never even thought about reselling used kit, nor would I ever buy it. Jackets maybe, but jerseys and bibs that's a hard no.

I'd agree that customer service is going to be better with the known brands. But at $20 for a jersey, just replacing it would still put you way under cost. With that said, the cheaper Chinese stuff is still not up to par in my book. It's improved and pretty good, but I'd still prefer paying for nice bibs.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

req110

by req110

I am not purchasing used jerseys, but i resale those which i don't wear and those are in good condition. That's why i purchase mostly Rapha and Maap, i can simply resell them for 40-60% of original price.

"some chinese brands are no longer clearly garbage" >>> this is about levels, 10 eur jerseys are garbage, 30 eur jerseys may be nice.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

pushpush

by pushpush

I've bought a variety of generic name pieces of kit. Lightweight summer jerseys have worked out well. I have some tights for running that are great. I have not found any bibs that I prefer. The PI, Sportful, and PedalMafia stuff fits and feels better and tend to be what I reach for when I open my kit drawer.

I tend to buy a couple more of whatever I want when they go on significant end of season sale. That puts the premium products on sale at about the regular price of the good generic stuff.

No reason to sell this stuff ever. I buy what I'm going to use. I wear it until it comes apart and then recycle it or donate it.

warthog101

by warthog101

I am completely uninterested in buying high end "branded" jerseys.
Waste of money and a rip off imo.
Interested in reading about cheaper stuff that works. It appears Spexcel is one.
Thanks for posting.

Size M in neopro and society are 2 cheaper brands available here in Australia that have jerseys made in China that work for me at 184cm 76kg.
Last edited by warthog101 on Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warthog101

by warthog101

pushpush wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:12 pm

No reason to sell this stuff ever. I buy what I'm going to use. I wear it until it comes apart and then recycle it or donate it.
Ditto.

robertbb

by robertbb

Don't buy anything from Chinese manufacturers. Clothes, parts.... anything.

The Chinese are using the money they make from selling you cheap goods (made with materials no doubt reverse-engineered and/or plagiarised from textile manufacturers who invest in R&D) to buy houses in your local area which they will never, ever sell - choosing instead to rent them out to you, in your own country.

I don't know how old you are, how you're positioned financially, but spare a thought for the flow-on effects of where your money is going and what they're doing with it.

This is not "racism" nor is it fearmongering, this is happening all around the world. USA, Canada, Australia, Western Europe.... modern warfare is being fought on the asset and ownership front. There will be no prizes for second place. Avoid Chinese goods at all possible opportunities, even if it means wearing decathlon stuff made in Europe or in India, or in Indonesia, or in Vietnam (which are also being raped by the Chinese).

Chlorophyll15

by Chlorophyll15

Let's please keep the thread on topic and avoid geopolitical discussions in here.

I'd like to echo OP's experience that the Spexcel stuff are good. I particularly like their Pro Team II bibshorts, which are around 36USD (before shipping) on AliExpress. My oldest pair is more than a year old and still going strong. I currently have 2 in my rotation, and usually use them for longer rides. They are not my most comfortable bibs, as that award goes to the Kalf Men's Bibshorts (very original name), which aren't as hard wearing compared to the Specxels in my experience.

Other bibs I've tried are the Assos T Equipe Evo, Monton Pro Skinsuit (for TTs), Castelli Competizione and an assortment of Jakroo stuff years ago. The Assos reinforced my preference for thinner chamois, as these feel fairly bulky, like they're adding a bunch of padding to make saddle issues go away. The Castellis and Jakroo stuff were nice, just less affordable compared to Kalf and Specxel. The Monton skinsuit is good too, as I wore them for a 9 hour TT ride recently, but I only need one of these for race days.

I haven't tried the Specxel jerseys, but am intrigued about them. If they're as good as their bibs I'd happily get 1 or 2 for my rotation. I'm generally less fussy about jerseys, however, as even if the fit isn't 100% (or even 80%) perfect I'd still wear them since they don't affect comfort as much as bibs. They are a smattering of stuff from year-end-sales and old club jerseys.

warthog101

by warthog101

^^how is the sizing on their bibs?
As said I am 184cm and 76kg.
Seemed to have settled on DHB aeron bibs in a size M. I buy when on special so they work out cost effective.
I would try a pair of spexcel though.

Well said on avoiding geo-political discussion.

robertbb

by robertbb

Chlorophyll15 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:36 am
Let's please keep the thread on topic and avoid geopolitical discussions in here.
This is important. Nothing could be more important. And it is very much on topic - China is being singled out by OP (hint: read the title) and I am responding to this as is my right and (I feel) my obligation.

Chlorophyll15

by Chlorophyll15

warthog101 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:57 am
^^how is the sizing on their bibs?
As said I am 184cm and 76kg.
Seemed to have settled on DHB aeron bibs in a size M. I buy when on special so they work out cost effective.
I would try a pair of spexcel though.

Well said on avoiding geo-political discussion.
I have a good riding mate who's 180cm and around 70-74kg (with a long torso, short legs build), and he wears a size M. I'm on the other end of the size spectrum, but for what it's worth, I'm 167cm, 58kg with a 76cm inseam (so slightly longer torso than average), and the size XS fits me well. The leg grippers end up around 5cm above the edge of my knee cap with my legs extended, judging from the tan lines. I'd suggest going more by weight rather than height, since the straps does stretch, and go one size down if in between sizes.

I have friends who recommend the DHB Aeron bibs highly. I have yet to try them but they have been in my cart for awhile. Waiting for them to go on sale!

warthog101

by warthog101

Chlorophyll15 wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:28 am

I have a good riding mate who's 180cm and around 70-74kg (with a long torso, short legs build), and he wears a size M. I'm on the other end of the size spectrum, but for what it's worth, I'm 167cm, 58kg with a 76cm inseam (so slightly longer torso than average), and the size XS fits me well. The leg grippers end up around 5cm above the edge of my knee cap with my legs extended, judging from the tan lines. I'd suggest going more by weight rather than height, since the straps does stretch, and go one size down if in between sizes.

I have friends who recommend the DHB Aeron bibs highly. I have yet to try them but they have been in my cart for awhile. Waiting for them to go on sale!
Thanks. An M might work then. :)

I have bought a bit of stuff from crc and wiggle so get plenty of emails. I just scan them and if dhb is mentioned on sale I have a look.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

I have tried Spexcel, Darevie and Ykywbike. I only have summer jerseys and bibs. In terms of quality, comparing to, let's say Assos, Castelli, Santini, Isadore, etc., the quality of the fabrics and stitching is in the most cases somewhat better on the latter. In most cases they are still lacking some textile technology that popular brands offer, like antimicrobial odor control, just for example something like HeiQ Fresh. Not to mention winter clothes with even more textile technology, just for example, something like Polartec Alpha or Polartec Power Wool. But they are learning and already offering technologies like Schoeller coldblack with UPF 50+.

One of the problems is that mentioned Spexcel, Darevie and Ykywbike used to be cheaper. They are still cheap, but mentioned Assos, Castelli, Santini, Isadore, etc. can be found at big discounts, and then there is a dilemma what to buy, should you add more money to buy "good stuff" with bragging rights or not...

In terms of size, I'm 183 cm, ~80 kg. My Spexcel short jerseys are size L, bibs also size L, tight, race fit. Darevie is in Asian sizes, my Darevie short jersey is XL, bibs also XL, tight, race fit. Ykywbike, short sleeve jersey, L and long sleeve jersey XL, also race fit, but not so tight as Darevie.

I have to say that this particular Darevie bibs are really good, chamois (cycling pad) is excellent, especially for those who prefer thicker chamois. I would say this bibs are on equal level with many which are way more expensive:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001605032857.html

The biggest problem with AliExpress is returning, if it's the wrong size, it's usually cheaper to buy new, for example jersey, then to return it. Customer service, bad and mediocre to let's say good, but never excellent. If you are persistent in complaining and have some luck, you get to keep the smaller jersey and they will send another jersey to you, but that depends on the seller, and they will usually try to exhort you to buy something else. Also, don't get fooled with 50% off, clocks and timers with sales that's about to end, and similar marketing tricks.