What's the deal with Patrick Lefevere?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spartacus

by spartacus

How has this guy not been canceled or fired yet? Dude seems downright abusive and toxic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

spartacus wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:25 pm
How has this guy not been canceled or fired yet? Dude seems downright abusive and toxic.
Perhaps, because he owns the team (with another investor)?

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Horner said he's an accountant by trade. That doesn't explain everything, but it would explain alot.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:25 pm
spartacus wrote:
As team owner, he could fire himself as directeur sportif. But then, I suppose he could still run his mouth as team owner.

C36

by C36

Always behaved as an accountant, press and throw. To me he is trying to get ride of Allaphilippe cause he has a new preferred toy with Remco and will have issues to keep both convinced he has the next Merckx in his team.

spartacus

by spartacus

BdaGhisallo wrote:
spartacus wrote:
Fair play then lol. But still I can't help but wonder if he does more harm than good. I couldn't work for the guy, it would end in altercation!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

spartacus wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:17 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
spartacus wrote:
Fair play then lol. But still I can't help but wonder if he does more harm than good. I couldn't work for the guy, it would end in altercation!
His teams have always achieved success. His methods may be a little unorthodox compared to the norm today, old school even, but his results speak volumes.

I would imagine that had we had access to the sport on the same regular and granular basis that we have now, the likes of Peter Post would be generating very similar questions in cycling forums.

Singular

by Singular

...and he (and his ways and views) is still immensely popular with his customers' customers - the blue collar, Belgian tradesman type and the typical flooring-windows-plaster buyer.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

please tell me how many white privileged rich men have ever faced consequences of their toxic behavour, or even crimes. there's this 'prince' Andrew known for raping kids (let's call it what it iss shall we) - his supposed punishemnt is saying bye to a royal title... omg, I already feel for poor fella..

PL would've been gone long time ago if pro cycling hadn't been such a nightmare for any investor. hope that's gonna change some day but I remember writing similar things on this very board like 15 years ago..
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Aeo

by Aeo

Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

The results speak for themselves I think.
Love him or hate him, but the guy is on the top level of cycling for years and years and years.
Most of the riders that join the team rise above themselves, when they leave the team they can't achieve their level they had at QS. => Viviani, Kittel, Martin, Terpstra, Gaviria,...
Love him or hate him, but whit his "limited budget" he does pretty well I think

stoney

by stoney

I like his straight talking manner. Very honest and speaks his mind. He's in it for the wins...if you're paid a big salary and aren't pulling in the wins to justify it he's going to look to get rid of you and hire two up and coming racers in your place.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

The "cancelling" thing is riduclous.
If people break the law then the police deal with them. If you don't like how people act or what they say then avoid them. People are free to be who they want, the world doesnt have to pander to the offended.

He's a great cycling mind but he definitely doesnt fit in with the woke culture. In other parts of the world he's all good.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

tarmackev wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:57 pm
The "cancelling" thing is riduclous.
If people break the law then the police deal with them. If you don't like how people act or what they say then avoid them. People are free to be who they want, the world doesnt have to pander to the offended.

He's a great cycling mind but he definitely doesnt fit in with the woke culture. In other parts of the world he's all good.

Like all things, there's a spectrum of behaviors and responses. Lefevere absolutely deserves to be called out for some of the shit he says, particularly his early comments about women's cycling.

You will always be judged by others, and the plurality / majority opinion decides what's acceptable and what's not. That's just how the world works. Sorry if it means your worldview is shrinking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Lefevere clearly has talent when it comes to the action on the road. But I imagine he has not spent much time contemplating the impact on organization performance from various approaches to leadership. Not everyone is an intuitive manager of people, and no doubt more traditional authoritarian approaches generally don't work. It is entirely possible he could have been much more successful with a different approach. But perhaps sports is an exception (like the military) where a more authoritarian approach can be effective. No excuse for the moronic statements though.
tarmackev wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:57 pm
Woke? WTF does "woke" have to do with it. How about just treating employees with basic dignity and acting with integrity. Doing so is also the best way to extract discretionary effort from employees, which is what separates great organizations from others. And if that doesn't motivate you to treat employees properly, than consider that it is also the law in most places. Of course misbehaviour is going to get called out. OTOH maybe that's what "woke" means to you. :noidea:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.