What's the deal with Patrick Lefevere?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

RDY wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:10 pm
I would say how the f**k is he not banned from the sport. But we all know the answer to that ... UCI mafia.
Pretty sure, if you checked the history of non-riding personnel of the top teams in cycling, a high percentage would have questionable pasts. You only have to look at the trainwreck of Sky's hirings after they announced they would only hire clean staff. You then look at where many of the UCI & CPA officials are drawn from and you can see that any will to actually root out doping influencers is stymied at every turn.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

tarmackev wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:58 pm
I'm not really a fan of the "cancel" stuff.
I quite like the guy although he is very ruthless and straight to the point.
You can be blunt and to the point without disparaging someone. Levevre has a habit of going beyond what is necessary.
I can see why people don't he's certainly not PC.
Referring to someone as "not PC" is just a obtuse way of saying they are rude and inconsiderate. Only last week he gave his opinion on women's safety at night. What it boiled down to was victim blaming.
One thing I am surprised by is how vocal Jose Bean is in her commentary, she always manages to have a pop at him. Jose definitely doesnt like him.
Even though I like Patrick I'm also a big fan of Jose as a commentator, she's great.
With his history of mysogynistic comments about women, how is that a surprise?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

ultimobici wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:23 pm
RDY wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:10 pm
I would say how the f**k is he not banned from the sport. But we all know the answer to that ... UCI mafia.
Pretty sure, if you checked the history of non-riding personnel of the top teams in cycling, a high percentage would have questionable pasts. You only have to look at the trainwreck of Sky's hirings after they announced they would only hire clean staff. You then look at where many of the UCI & CPA officials are drawn from and you can see that any will to actually root out doping influencers is stymied at every turn.
Obviously, but this is Van Mol ... I'd somehow missed that he'd continued to be allowed to work almost without interruption. Must give the parents of young riders hired to his team a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that their offspring will be in such safe hands.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

RDY wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:34 pm
Obviously, but this is Van Mol ... I'd somehow missed that he'd continued to be allowed to work almost without interruption. Must give the parents of young riders hired to his team a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that their offspring will be in such safe hands.
I'm sure!

AJS914

by AJS914

Doped to the gills 1996 Paris-Roubaix podium. Team manager Lefevre.

Amazing that some in the sport get tossed out and others continue on for decades and hire the same shady doctors.

RDY

by RDY

AJS914 wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:25 pm
Doped to the gills 1996 Paris-Roubaix podium. Team manager Lefevre.

Amazing that some in the sport get tossed out and others continue on for decades and hire the same shady doctors.
Are you sure it was Lefevre? Thought the management was all Italian. Van Mol was there though (of course).

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

RDY wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:35 pm
Are you sure it was Lefevre? Thought the management was all Italian. Van Mol was there though (of course).
Mapei merged with MG Maglificio–Technogym in 95.

RDY

by RDY

ultimobici wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:57 pm
RDY wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:35 pm
Mapei merged with MG Maglificio–Technogym in 95.
Ah, right.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

tarmackev wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:58 pm
I'm not really a fan of the "cancel" stuff.
I quite like the guy although he is very ruthless and straight to the point.

I can see why people don't he's certainly not PC.

One thing I am surprised by is how vocal Jose Bean is in her commentary, she always manages to have a pop at him. Jose definitely doesnt like him.
Even though I like Patrick I'm also a big fan of Jose as a commentator, she's great.
Man I can't beleive you like her , she is brutal to listen to. She literally talks over and interrupts every co-commentator she is paired with. Brian Smith when commentating with her has given up, he will go minutes without saying anything because as soon as he does she talks over him, it's embarrasing to listen to. If they are looking for female commentators Hannah Barnes and Dani Rowe asre great.

otnemem

by otnemem

ultimobici wrote:
You only have to look at the trainwreck of Sky's hirings after they announced they would only hire clean staff.
And has anyone heard a peep from the UCI on this? There's undeniable proof that a team was being given testosterone. The same team that wouldn't let anyone else even dream of getting close to the GC at the Tour. This also means that the joke that is antidoping control continues - they can't even catch people on the steroid hormone, let alone designer steroids.
Yet, it's like no one knows anything, status quo maintained, etc.

RDY

by RDY

otnemem wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:41 am
ultimobici wrote:
You only have to look at the trainwreck of Sky's hirings after they announced they would only hire clean staff.
And has anyone heard a peep from the UCI on this? There's undeniable proof that a team was being given testosterone. The same team that wouldn't let anyone else even dream of getting close to the GC at the Tour. This also means that the joke that is antidoping control continues - they can't even catch people on the steroid hormone, let alone designer steroids.
I think they'd like you to think it's just micro dosing of T, steroids, and various stimulants, anabolic agents and the usual blood doping. But looking at the landscape of pharma, almost certainly gene doping and various novel stem cell treatments that haven't made it anywhere near WADA lists are likely rife, and probably have been for some while. You only have to look at how hard tennis is trying to prevent a major scandal breaking - players are regularly informed in advance about their 'random' tests now. This signals to me that the ITF is panicking that it can't continue to directly cover up (on behalf of the ATP & WTA) positive tests and higly dodgy blood work indefinitely as it has done now for many years, and that it fears samples being turned over to third parties in the case that a few are sanctioned.

otnemem

by otnemem

Exactly. And, even that, they can't reliably catch. So they don't have a prayer on the actual modern stuff.

spartacus

by spartacus

RDY wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:35 am
otnemem wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:41 am
ultimobici wrote:
I think they'd like you to think it's just micro dosing of T, steroids, and various stimulants, anabolic agents and the usual blood doping. But looking at the landscape of pharma, almost certainly gene doping and various novel stem cell treatments that haven't made it anywhere near WADA lists are likely rife, and probably have been for some while. You only have to look at how hard tennis is trying to prevent a major scandal breaking - players are regularly informed in advance about their 'random' tests now. This signals to me that the ITF is panicking that it can't continue to directly cover up (on behalf of the ATP & WTA) positive tests and higly dodgy blood work indefinitely as it has done now for many years, and that it fears samples being turned over to third parties in the case that a few are sanctioned.
I'm not saying this all isn't true but it would be quite a conspiracy with many involved, and nobody has gotten caught or blown the whistle.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

spartacus wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:21 pm
I'm not saying this all isn't true but it would be quite a conspiracy with many involved, and nobody has gotten caught or blown the whistle.
How do you think doping stayed hidden for so long in many sports? It has been in no one's interests for a scandal to be exposed. This is how sports like tennis & football have avoided any damaging exposés for decades. When Operation Puerto started getting too close the whole thing died a death suddenly. If Spanish football clubs had not been at risk of being exposed, Valverde likely would have been pursued more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartacus

by spartacus

ultimobici wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:30 pm
spartacus wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:21 pm
How do you think doping stayed hidden for so long in many sports? It has been in no one's interests for a scandal to be exposed. This is how sports like tennis & football have avoided any damaging exposés for decades. When Operation Puerto started getting too close the whole thing died a death suddenly. If Spanish football clubs had not been at risk of being exposed, Valverde likely would have been pursued more.
I would argue that it didn't take very long for people to get caught with EPO. As far as "gene doping" stem cells etc this involves a lot of medical and scientific knowledge. It's been like 10 years since SKY was at their peak. Like I said I'm not saying it's not true but I'm skeptical they're up to anything beyond microdosing or carefully using known substances.