Why have jerseys such a tight neck band

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Dizer

by Dizer

Everytime i try a jersey and zip it all the way, the first thing i notice is that it is tight at the front of my neck, the place where normally the zipper ends. It doesn't feel comfortable, it creates unwanted pressure on my trachea. A work around is to zip it down a bit like on the picture below but that's not what i want to do with expensive jersey's.

Are there more cyclist who bother this, or am i the only one? :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lina

by Lina

It's what I do on all training rides where I don't have a low cut aero jersey/suit on.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Haha. No one size fits all, I guess.

Some of my kits are definitely like this. Others zip up perfect.

On the other end, some of my skinsuits have the opposite "decolletage" problem where a ton of neckline is exposed until you crouch over into TT shrimp position. Helps eliminate bunching around the shoulders, I guess. At the expense of feeling self-conscious walking upright.

Ya I dunno sometimes a Reeboks fits tighter than a Nikey fits tighter than Adidas.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Depends on the kit. I definitely prefer wider collarless designs. The tightest collars on jerseys I currently use are on CHPT3 stuff, otherwise I love their fit.

Another aspect of kits I find annoying is pocket placement. The back pockets on my horrible Universal Colours kit are too high and they don't have a nice tactile lip at the opening, so it's hard to slide items back in after taking them out. The pockets on many of my random jerseys have similar design issues.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

I'm the same with the neck pressure around the collar. The neck lines on some base layers are another source of annoyance.

Dizer

by Dizer

maxim809 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:03 am
Haha. No one size fits all, I guess.

Some of my kits are definitely like this. Others zip up perfect.

On the other end, some of my skinsuits have the opposite "decolletage" problem where a ton of neckline is exposed until you crouch over into TT shrimp position. Helps eliminate bunching around the shoulders, I guess. At the expense of feeling self-conscious walking upright.

Ya I dunno sometimes a Reeboks fits tighter than a Nikey fits tighter than Adidas.
Which jerseys zip up perfect for you?

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

+1 on collarless road jerseys.
I asked for manufacturer sources on another thread (the jersey colors thread) but didn't get much of anything.
Some zip up to where a collar would start, but even that bugs me.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Dizer wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:10 pm
Which jerseys zip up perfect for you?
2022 Attaquer A-Line and, believe it or not, that Rapha Pro Team as pictured zip up perfect for me.

I wear size XXS, XS, and S depending on brand.

Just wanna point out that the quality of kits within the same brand/model can change dramatically over the year. MAAP, Sugoi, Capo, Canary.... from circa 2013~2018 all had tight zip up problems for me. MAAP's quality has really changed over the years, but I have not bought anything modern so cannot speak 1st hand.

Pedal Mafia's fabric quality used to be softer, but less durable... and throughout the past few years the length of their short sleeves has gone up and down a few inches. I don't know where they have landed in terms of quality and fit in 2023.

My 2021 Q.365's neckline is a bit too snug than I'd like, but the rest of the kit fits perfect. So I have to keep it unzipped. Same with 2018 Pedla's neckline. That said, Pedla is easily the most durable kit and bib I have. Going back to Attaquer, their "aero" Race Ultra+ 2021 kits had very little stretch to it, and as a consequence it created massive bunching and wrinkling so I had to return it. I'll be trying their 2023 line-up soon... hoping they fixed this.

Speaking of wrinkles, half the male models wearing the Mechanism jerseys on PasNormalStudio's website has massive wrinkling around every junction and joint. Next to it the advertisement reads "The Mechanism Collection is race-fit". I think their Marketing and photography team needs to do better. Or maybe they are okay with showing the truth, which should instead be applauded.

Sorry I went so off-topic. An admin should ban me.

Ya I hear you, some kits are super tight at the neck isn't it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

maxim809 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:05 pm
Speaking of wrinkles, half the male models wearing the Mechanism jerseys on PasNormalStudio's website has massive wrinkling around every junction and joint. Next to it the advertisement reads "The Mechanism Collection is race-fit". I think their Marketing and photography team needs to do better. Or maybe they are okay with showing the truth, which should instead be applauded.

Sorry I went so off-topic. An admin should ban me.

Ya I hear you, some kits are super tight at the neck isn't it?
For jerseys Gobik and Eliel have the best fit for me.
And to keep the "Off topic" going. That pas normal deal reminds me of whenever I see someone post a custom bike they had built and the stem has 3cm of spacers under it or the saddle is jammed forward ( or backward) on the rails, somebody screwed up.