On the road yesterday

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Miller

by Miller

The long-running On The Road Today thread highlights inspiring photos from our current riding. But what about cycling photos from yesteryear? I have plenty and perhaps you do too. This is a thread where, if you like, you can share those old pictures and indulge in cycling nostalgia. They say the past is a foreign country: let's see if we did things differently there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

I'll start things off as I've been digitising some old photos lately.

Here's a snap of my Raleigh Dynatech 900Fs in Majorca in March 1995. I built this one with Campag Veloce Ergo (8sp back then), USE seatpost, Flite saddle, and I think those are the long defunct Shimano SPD-R pedals. The wheels were Campag hubs built with a pair of gold (!) Mavic OR10 tubular rims, very light they were, well under 400g, mounted with proper Vittoria cotton/latex tubs. That wheel and tyre combination gave a magical ride but the tubs were fragile. As was the frame, it turned out. It was in the first generation of titanium construction and the tubing was brittle. A year later the frame cracked right round the down tube at the lever bosses. Up until then a lovely bike although the look of that handlebar/lever arrangement now makes me wince.

Miller

by Miller

Here are a couple from Tour de France 1994, Stage 16. At that time I was living in France near Geneva and that day the Tour was going up my local hill, the Col de la Faucille out of Gex. Me and my friends had been up that col many times, with best times under 40 minutes, and were keen to see what time the pros would do. As it turned out, the pros couldn't have cared less. It was late in the Tour, GC was settled and the climb came early in the stage. They toured up in 45 minutes. Disappointing in a way but, as ever, great to see the Tour pass by and I grabbed a few snaps as they did.

The only person I can definitely identify in this one is Sean Yates.

Riders put newspaper up their jersey expecting a descent. They obviously hadn't looked at the road book because the road after the Col summit continues at altitude with no real descent until later on.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Jens Heppner the German champ and Alvaro Mejia the second Motorola rider with a helmet in your first pic. Michel Dernies the first helmeted Motorola rider perhaps.

JF Bernard the Banesto rider in your second pic.

Miller

by Miller

@BdaG, cheers, thanks for the ids.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

The 7 time former former TdF champion, who shall not be named because he "criminally" screwed over Greg and many others, DNF'd on the immediately preceding Montpellier to Carpentras stage.

Miller

by Miller

I well remember He who shall not be named's travails in the mid-90s when he was diagnosed and became ill, then after that period, came back to the sport and I think placed 4th in the vuelta on his return. That was thrilling - at the time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

This was the bike I had after the failed Raleigh. In 1997 I bought a 1st gen Giant TCR alloy frame and built it up with Chorus 9sp. That was a lovely groupset with the new shape levers and dual pivot brakes. Wheels were Campag hubs laced to Ambrosio Excellence rims (still available 25 years later) shod with Michelin Bi-synergic tyres. I rode this bike for a few years then sold it to a friend. It's pictured here somewhere in the Vosges mountains near Colmar.