2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jcrr

by jcrr

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:30 am
jcrr wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:22 am
Miller wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:29 pm
Pogi put in a big dig on the Paterberg. When he failed to dislodge the other two there it was always looking like coming down to a sprint and he would not win that, as he did not. I don't know what he could have done differently in this race.
Maybe use different tires? :D

It looked like Pogacar's tires were a bit wider/bigger than what MVdP and WVA were riding. Did I see that correctly? I also wondered about the cervelo having wheels that were less deep than the colnago and the canyon. I'm sure it's all about frame+wheel+tire optimization, taking into account the varying riding surfaces of E3. I find the selection of those details really interesting.
Great sprint win by Wout. :beerchug:
Tan walls give the optical illusion to be narrower than all black tires, kind of like horizontal stripes on shirts make people appear less fat. Or not. :mrgreen:
Maybe, but I'm not totally convinced that it is the case here:

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1475887299
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... 1475884791

I'll hypothesize that it was the lack of hair sticking out the helmet vents that may have made the difference :mrgreen:
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

What say the experts of WW about chain lubing from a car during a race?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jcrr

by jcrr

Lelandjt wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:05 am
That has been seen many times on stages of big tours. Far from an expert, but that was so oh-so-next-level-pro, given how late in the race it came (ie., getting the bike as close to 100% ready for a sprint). The follow-up question may be 'how late in a race should that be allowed?'
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

flying

by flying

jcrr wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:18 am
Lelandjt wrote:
That has been seen many times on stages of big tours. Far from an expert, but that was so oh-so-next-level-pro, given how late in the race it came (ie., getting the bike as close to 100% ready for a sprint). The follow-up question may be 'how late in a race should that be allowed?'
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dont-k ... e3-finale/

jever98

by jever98

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:30 am
Tan walls give the optical illusion to be narrower than all black tires, kind of like horizontal stripes on shirts make people appear less fat. Or not. :mrgreen:

Obelix will remind you that vertical stripes are the way to go :-D
----
No longer in the industry

Karvalo

by Karvalo

maquisard wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:25 pm
If Pogacar had intelligence he would be unbeatable.
It's a really hard route for Pogacar to win these races - he has to drop the other two somewhere and get to the line on his own. If you can figure out a way for that to happen without him attacking then kudos to your incredible tactical brain.

ichobi

by ichobi

So Roglic has started 2 races this year and won one, the Catalunya he's racing he will probably win.

The first race he won 3 stages, the second, 2 stages.

Of all his victories, he has never once pose or do a victory salute. What he did is pressing stop on his Garmin, at the finsh line, just like your usual wednesday training ride when you got home.

It's both funny and unreal. With how many races he has won he probably ran out of idea to pose for a victory salute. Winning is business as usual. Nay, just another day in the office. It's both amazing and absurd at the same time.

micky

by micky

Like when Sagan used to win with a victory celebration each time different and it was both funny and unreal.
With riders getting pissed off.

I guess we're all very different (luckily).

robbosmans

by robbosmans

And when he takes his hands of the bars he might crash

otnemem

by otnemem

ome rodriguez wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:12 pm
Their Bianchi days was unbranded Corima rims not sure what hubs laced to. I assume still using Corima rims tubular rims now.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... nce-466205
Yeah, but these seem deeper and laced differently as far as I can compare.
jcrr wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:18 am
Lelandjt wrote:
I'm more curious about their chain prep. Weird outcome.

guyc

by guyc

Karvalo wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:24 am
maquisard wrote:
It's a really hard route for Pogacar to win these races - he has to drop the other two somewhere and get to the line on his own. If you can figure out a way for that to happen without him attacking then kudos to your incredible tactical brain.
Well wuite - also worth noting that the finale of Flanders will suit him more, so yesterday something of a test run to see how the others went on the climbs.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
maquisard wrote:

Actually lol at the idea of a 65kg Pogacar getting the jump on, then staying away from these particular two ~75kg riders working in tandem…in a flat finish.

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

otnemem wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:27 am
ome rodriguez wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:12 pm
Their Bianchi days was unbranded Corima rims not sure what hubs laced to. I assume still using Corima rims tubular rims now.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... nce-466205
Yeah, but these seem deeper and laced differently as far as I can compare.
From your photo probably a reserve tubular.

They use tubeless most of the time, tubular on high mountains like very important stages.

otnemem

by otnemem

Well spotted. Maybe GCN or Shoddy will catch them at the Giro, although Shoddy isn't really the best at spotting details.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:47 am
Karvalo wrote:
maquisard wrote:

Actually lol at the idea of a 65kg Pogacar getting the jump on, then staying away from these particular two ~75kg riders working in tandem…in a flat finish.
Pogacar was quite self critical after the race about his positioning - the energy wasted coming from behind on the Taaienberg was one of the reasons that contributed to him being cooked later in the race. On the Taaienberg he started 25th and came over the top in 8th, a lot of ground to make up when MdvP and WvA are driving the front of the race.

https://escapecollective.cc/no-such-mis ... xt-sunday/