2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:15 am
IMO if both are at their very best form, I give Van der Poel the edge on most courses.
I would've agreed until this winter season, but it seems like WvA made another step in performance this year. After adjusting to the cx rythm, he was unstoppable. The way he came back in some races after being over the limit inbetween was impressive. I think he gained an edge over MvdP by racing GT's and being in a more objective, professional surrounding at TJV.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stoney

by stoney

eins4eins wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:48 am
I would've agreed until this winter season, but it seems like WvA made another step in performance this year. After adjusting to the cx rythm, he was unstoppable. The way he came back in some races after being over the limit inbetween was impressive. I think he gained an edge over MvdP by racing GT's and being in a more objective, professional surrounding at TJV.
Wout gained the edge because he's more durable structually than MvdP. Therefore, he doesn't miss training time resting a bad back. He's been able to grow his engine uninterrupted (except for Covid/viruses) since his bad crash in the TdF in 2019. Wout also probably has better coaching than MvdP. I don't think Jumbo would have let Wout race so many CX races so close together if he had a history of back and knee issues.

EdWiser

by EdWiser

Mr.Gib wrote:
EdWiser wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:53 pm
How it’s going so far.
I think I am missing your point. Were you expecting more Van der Poel wins? Or are we to look at the results of the last few races and conclude Wout is the better crosser? Or do we conclude Van der Poel is more seriously injured that he acknowledges? :noidea:

If Van der Poel can't ride with Wout at the Worlds, than I think his back must be really messed up. Their lifetime cx rivalry gives Van der Poel about double the amount of wins, which also doesn't really tell us that much.

IMO if both are at their very best form, I give Van der Poel the edge on most courses.
I had posted the picture before the season. So it’s just in head to head who won.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

EdWiser wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:37 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
EdWiser wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:53 pm
How it’s going so far.
I think I am missing your point. Were you expecting more Van der Poel wins? Or are we to look at the results of the last few races and conclude Wout is the better crosser? Or do we conclude Van der Poel is more seriously injured that he acknowledges? :noidea:

If Van der Poel can't ride with Wout at the Worlds, than I think his back must be really messed up. Their lifetime cx rivalry gives Van der Poel about double the amount of wins, which also doesn't really tell us that much.

I had posted the picture before the season. So it’s just in head to head who won.
Ah yes, I recall now. Despite the lopsided results, we still got to see some great battles. BUT, it could have been so much better.

I look at Van der Poel, those massive shoulders and relatively small waist, and it looks like a recipe for a bad back. Wout just looks so much more solidly built. Might be irrelevant but perhaps one physique is more conducive to surviving a CX career in one piece than the other.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

FDJ just announced on Instagram that Thibault Pinot will retire at the end of this season. I'll always remember Madiot cheering him on as he held on to win his first Tour stage, in his home territory if I recall.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Does it include the words web3, blockchain, NFT, or digital ownership. Perhaps Velon should just stick to video clips & stats :noidea: I'm amazed ASO has yet to license live rider data to someone that lets users access it live. I recall Dimension Data working with them but I'm not sure much ever came of it in the form of user experience - beyond tv overlays.

Edit// being a bit facetious here & perhaps
this new venture is all that. But color me pessimistic :)
Just ride ..

Aeo

by Aeo

Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Velon seems to be struggling in a permanent desperate battle to find some sort of relevance...

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Interesting, WvA might race Paris Roubaix on a Soloist with 1x and very deep wheels

https://youtu.be/KmQ2X9wh6bs

Geoff

by Geoff

Pretty neat.

Jonolsson

by Jonolsson

ImageImage

Enviado desde mi 2201123G mediante Tapatalk

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

justkeepedaling wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:49 pm
Interesting, WvA might race Paris Roubaix on a Soloist with 1x and very deep wheels

Nice touch the little roller machine thingy to bed in the brakes. Also, the mechanic's fly is down! :mrgreen:

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:59 am
justkeepedaling wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:49 pm

Nice touch the little roller machine thingy to bed in the brakes. Also, the mechanic's fly is down! :mrgreen:
I thought that was neat, too. Never seen that before, but I'm not used to disc brake bikes in shops. Have seen a fly left open before though :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elSid

by elSid

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:53 pm
I look at Van der Poel, those massive shoulders and relatively small waist, and it looks like a recipe for a bad back.
Can you explain that?